Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

super fart shooter posted:

I've been playing the stingray since the game dropped, but this is making me reconsider. The slow acceleration curve means you can never really get a good position on the run up to the first lap. Although I think it's still good in practice mode since you can just boost right off the starting line

Does anyone know what that colored bar thing is that appears on the bottom left? Some network connection thing I assume

i've been going back and forth between the stingray and the wild goose. stingray is great on tracks people suck at driving, but it is real real rough on the easier tracks, which is where wild goose shines.

the best players mostly seem to be sticking to the stingray for every track but they are on another level than us scrubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Vintersorg posted:

I don't think I'd say never - i've started around 20-30 coming out the start and eventually get in the top 10. Aggressive use of boost, luck collecting sparks to boost ahead and you're there. Take turns tight as a hell and you'll be ahead of the pack.

I agree, although that's another advantage that frontrunners have -- they actually have room to utilize their good driving skills. You may know how to drive the tracks and have good lines and everything, but that doesn't matter when you're making a really nice, clean turn, heading straight towards the apex, and then some random person is just going head on deep into the turn and t-bones you. Getting ping-ponged around makes good driving hard!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Getting ping-ponged around makes good driving hard!

Speaking of this, I would like to thank RandomDriver345 for being a human(?) shield the first time I thought I'd crash out, but instead crashed from a hit from me and restored my shield. Felt crazy in the moment.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Some people are definitely really good, and a lot more are pretty bad. But it seems to me like there would also be a tendency for race leaders to run away with it, because the further away from the pack you are, the less chip damage you take over the course of each lap, which means more boost potential. I guess you get less skyway and chances for KO's so maybe it kinda balances out, I dunno

It's definitely important to get ahead but the number of NPC cars they throw at you means unless you are a total expert you will have some trouble holding that lead.

At least that's what I tell myself after I've blown leads I should have held crashing into an exploding NPC.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
There’s also a lot of courses where using a super boost at the right moment lets you cut a corner or something and lets you jump ahead enough to be competitive with the leaders. It’s obviously better to be out in front but I’ve won races where I was in the middle of the pack for the first couple laps.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This game rules, but I've never played F Zero before so I kinda suck. What are some tips I can use to rank better in races? I can be solidly middle of the pack if I race conservatively.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Getting ping-ponged around makes good driving hard!

Here's a good tip on this subject: If you're ping-ponging, let go of the accelerator right away! You regain traction very quickly if you stop accelerating, this goes for taking sharp corners right as well.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

SettingSun posted:

This game rules, but I've never played F Zero before so I kinda suck. What are some tips I can use to rank better in races? I can be solidly middle of the pack if I race conservatively.

Biggest thing I can recommend: get your sharp turns down. Mash the gas as you turn and that'll get you a lot of the way there.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

some of the old smb35 twitch crew i ran with back in the day are doing lobbies together hell yeah

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also try out the Practice mode so you can get used to the actual tracks and driving in general.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
and so you can unlock all the card backgrounds

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Maybe this isn't true with the analog stick controls, but to me F-Zero is a game where you want to think about pointing the car in a direction rather than trying to steer. You don't want to try to drive around other racers as much as angle your car away and go straight. There's a lot of turns that make you think you have to steer around them but in reality you just need to make tiny adjustments and basically stay straight. The S curves near the end of Port Town 2 are like that.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

SettingSun posted:

I'd recommend the Wild Goose so that you're not getting bounced around with every contact - also learning the 'best' spot for the skyway (and delaying your super boost until then) can also be a difference maker.

The 'final' turn of Mute City I and the 180 hairpin on sand ocean are awesome areas to skip if you've got a skyway because they are always complete clusterfucks. Skipping the ice turn on Big Blue can help too.

Got my first win yesterday with a well timed final skyway and you better believe I was hooting and hollering like a madman

EDIT: Also, be super aggressive with ko attempts in the first few laps. Getting an extra long, fully juiced health bar for the last lap can be huge

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Anyone know how you get the bumper points in team battle?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Die, become bumper, bump cars

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Oh... That's kinda funny, I had a game where the other team got like hundreds of bumper points, and my time had like zero. So we drove better, but they managed to get a bunch of points out of their crashes anyway? I suppose they get less lap completion points though right? I haven't completely figured out the scoring system

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Since I couldn't really describe how to take that corner in Silence here's a video. It also illustrates how bad people are at Silence because this is not a particularly good lap and no one challenges me.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1703960149571047726

It's at 19 seconds. If you can boost out of it it is even better but I didn't want to risk it.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I keep loving up the Grand Prix at Death Wind and still haven't unlocked Silence :smith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Youremother posted:

I keep loving up the Grand Prix at Death Wind and still haven't unlocked Silence :smith:

I think the easiest thing to gently caress up on Death Wind is trying to go straight into the dash pads. If you slightly angle into the wind as you aim for them you are less likely to get pushed off course and miss them. You can also take the turns after the pit area pretty tight, other players seem to take them wide for some reason.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i gave my pro controller a try and holy fuckballs i cannot play this game for poo poo with an analog stick. back to the snes pad for this one.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Sand Ocean has already ruined more of my GP attempts than the other courses combined, I despise it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Manoueverable posted:

Sand Ocean has already ruined more of my GP attempts than the other courses combined, I despise it.

it's always death wind for me. i can't navigate the pack for poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i gave my pro controller a try and holy fuckballs i cannot play this game for poo poo with an analog stick. back to the snes pad for this one.

Yeah, I gave it a few races and I just can't. If I'm not rapidly tapping the D-Pad it's not Mode 7 F-Zero.

My GPs seem to just fall apart on Mute City. I do really badly on it and then have to dig myself out of a hole by Silence. So I'm qualifying, but not finishing particularly well because I end up in 50th on Mute City which only happens in GPs and Mini GPs!

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
All my f-zero experience is killing ai drivers in X as a kid. What am I supposed to use sliding left/right for?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Sliding is extremely important for taking sharp turns and making quick adjustments. Good for hitting boost/jump pads, those 90 degree turns on Big Blue and Sand Ocean, the super-tight zig zag on Mute City, stuff like that.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I got first place in a 99 race on Big Blue in a Blue Falcon. :unsmith:

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I’ve mostly just barely boosted at all and waited for the rest of the pack to explode, which I’m fairly sure is in fact a terrible strategy

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this is absolutely accurate. you gotta get out front asap or you will never get there unless you are on a track like silence or port town 2 where most people can't drive at all. if you are not top 10 by the time you get to the actual track on mute city or death wind, you are never ever going to get into the top 10.

i play Wild Goose, and often hit the proper track in the 50s or so, and usually finish in the teens or better. The way the super boost works in this game, you are definitely able to finish in the top 10, even with a mediocre start.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

also, i got first place in a 99 race, but didn't the skin didn't unlock :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i play Wild Goose, and often hit the proper track in the 50s or so, and usually finish in the teens or better. The way the super boost works in this game, you are definitely able to finish in the top 10, even with a mediocre start.

Yeah, 40-60 isn't a bad place to start you will fill up your super boost in the first lap, sometimes even halfway through. The people abusing their boost on the first lap can make it really hard to stay in the top 10 without doing the same and crashing out, but if you can get to the front in lap 3 they'll either crash out or not have the right amount of boost to keep up.

I'm sure I finish lower more often if I don't get in the top 20 really early, but I definitely die more if I'm in that lead pack.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Getting a good result in Mute City in GP depends almost entirely on your super boost timing since everybody is running it constantly in regular races. You can still get a decent result if you don't start the track in the top 50 but if you don't finish in the top 20, it's a very uphill battle to finish the whole GP well.

e: I honestly cannot wait for Death Wind 2 to show up, it's going to be absolute hell.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 19, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manoueverable posted:

Getting a good result in Mute City in GP depends almost entirely on your super boost timing since everybody is running it constantly in regular races. You can still get a decent result if you don't start the track in the top 50 but if you don't finish in the top 20, it's a very uphill battle to finish the whole GP well.

e: I honestly cannot wait for Death Wind 2 to show up, it's going to be absolute hell.

People going for the shortcut in Red Canyon 2 are going to make for really funny races. White Land 2 and Fire Field will have 30% completion rates.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How does one use sliding effectively to take turns? I’ve been experimenting sliding with and without accelerating but I can’t tell what’s working and what isn’t. I suppose I should spend some time practicing courses on my own instead of figuring out how stuff works while also being jostled around by other racers.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

it looks like the best time to hop on the skyway on port town is right as you reach the stretch of track with the magnets, it'll carry you almost right to the checkerboards

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wildtortilla posted:

How does one use sliding effectively to take turns? I’ve been experimenting sliding with and without accelerating but I can’t tell what’s working and what isn’t. I suppose I should spend some time practicing courses on my own instead of figuring out how stuff works while also being jostled around by other racers.

Yeah, run the practice mode a few times. I really focused on getting tighter corners and am almost always in the top 25.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

MassRafTer posted:

People going for the shortcut in Red Canyon 2 are going to make for really funny races. White Land 2 and Fire Field will have 30% completion rates.

I'm almost certain White Land 2 and Fire Field are why they decided to pare down GPs to 20 racers on the last race. It's going to be absurd.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This game needs a 20 lap endurance mode, with the bottom 5 dropping off every lap. It also needs a death race mode, where you race until there's only one left standing, disqualified only by crashouts (with some mechanism that slowly drains your power or similar so you can't go infinite).

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Game is extremely addictive. I'm A- and have never won a race, but most of my rivals have. Feels bad.

I've almost exclusively used the stingray, but started experimenting with the golden fox. That's an even more white-knuckle experience, having to boost like 2-3x as much as you normally would, and being weak as a baby.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Wildtortilla posted:

The game's physics are pretty floaty and drifty, whenever you turn you're going to be drifting towards the outside of the turn. Sliding inwards (in the direction of the turn) just counteracts that. You can also reduce drift by lifting off the throttle while turning, which is necessary in many tight turns. It also depends on the track, since they have different levels of traction, and then within some tracks you've got some specific low traction areas, like the shiny blue surfaces. And of course the grip stat of the machines has a big effect, the stingray drifts much less than the fox, and so it can usually turn much tighter and can stay on the throttle significantly more

Running practice mode a bit really helps you figure this stuff out, and you'll remember how to approach the tricky turns. You'll go zooming past all the people who just go all out into every turn and are constantly drifting into walls

SettingSun posted:

This game needs a 20 lap endurance mode, with the bottom 5 dropping off every lap. It also needs a death race mode, where you race until there's only one left standing, disqualified only by crashouts (with some mechanism that slowly drains your power or similar so you can't go infinite).

Also, how about top speeds get faster and faster every lap :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SettingSun posted:

It also needs a death race mode, where you race until there's only one left standing, disqualified only by crashouts (with some mechanism that slowly drains your power or similar so you can't go infinite).

hell yes