Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Problems 99: Bitches-free Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I've made it to White Land II 3 times now, yet I can't even get close to making it to Silence.
I think something is wrong with my brain. Or maybe Falcon just sucks in Knight League.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I've made it to White Land II 3 times now, yet I can't even get close to making it to Silence.
I think something is wrong with my brain. Or maybe Falcon just sucks in Knight League.

I think the Falcon is significantly weaker in Knight League where the courses are easier and people boost more vs Queen League where it's weaknesses are a little less pronounced.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

What I wouldn't give for a vote multiplier if a map you keep voting for loses. Gotta force these losers to play Sand Ocean somehow.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
i've basically never failed to make it to Silence in the Wild Goose

of course, the downside there is that the Wild Goose is absolutely terrible at actually driving on Silence

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Wild Goose is for players who aren't interested in winning, but in making other players lose.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Unhappy Meal posted:

What I wouldn't give for a vote multiplier if a map you keep voting for loses. Gotta force these losers to play Sand Ocean somehow.

Meanwhile I get Sand Ocean plenty but I cannot get Death Wind I unless I play a GP.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

this game needs a dad division

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Man, if Death Wind didn't have all those boosts, it'd be good for us Stingrays; but I feel completely neutered on that track. So hard to qualify for the final GP round

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Youremother posted:

Wild Goose is for players who aren't interested in winning, but in making other players lose.

Lore accurate. He was responsible for a big crash.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Finally won Knight League. Was tied going into Silence and when I hit the shortcut I thought "maybe I should play it safe and boost through the dirt... eh, what's the worst that can happen"

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1711129179381723513

I guess that, but it didn't doom me, thankfully!

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I've just straight up honked it on Queen League so many times now that I don't know if Wild Goose is the strat anymore. I had a run getting 1st on Mute City II and 2nd on White Land I but was in the high 20s on both Port Town and Red Canyon which left me a distant 3rd overall. I don't have any consistency going up against people who are getting 10th at worst every race.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manoueverable posted:

I've just straight up honked it on Queen League so many times now that I don't know if Wild Goose is the strat anymore. I had a run getting 1st on Mute City II and 2nd on White Land I but was in the high 20s on both Port Town and Red Canyon which left me a distant 3rd overall. I don't have any consistency going up against people who are getting 10th at worst every race.

One thing that helped my consistency was really fine tuning when I boost so I had one extra boost for the final lap. If I was going to be stuck in 20-40th just boost once or maybe not at all on the first lap and use my boosts after the skyway, and trying to really focus on making sure I got two skyways if I started poorly.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

just had xLunaiiire in my Mini Prix lobby and wow does perfection seem boring to actually play

1st and 3rd races were so untouchable that I felt embarassment for all the other 98 players. But on the second race they sandbagged a little, staying on 2nd and seemingly just not accelerating sometimes so as to let 1st place build some distance? also dodging red bumpers by 1 pixel everytime, then crashing into very avoidable walls right after.

it must get very boring, if not doing that from time to time

Ramie fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 10, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocX0LkyXLx4

Cripes. A GX follow-up was SO CLOSE.

Welp, I now play FZ99 every day to help show Nintendo that there should be a new one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocX0LkyXLx4

Cripes. A GX follow-up was SO CLOSE.

Welp, I now play FZ99 every day to help show Nintendo that there should be a new one.

I'm kind of glad we got this instead of the realistic physics game but I'd like to see that as a non F-Zero branded release. And obviously I'd like GX2 :(

Update just released, mostly bug fixes for the ranking system but also "Several issues have been addressed to improve the gameplay experience."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ah my favorite type of update: "we changed things".

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The last few nights have really felt as if interest is continually dwindling. I usually play on and off between 6-9 ET and lately there's been a struggle to fill lobbies, with a few under 50%

shyduck fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 13, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've become an expert at finishing either top 3 or 38th on Mute City I. There's no middle ground and it doesn't matter which car

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Man I hate Death Wind. I went into it in a GP with 2 player KOs, so my bar was huge and basically purple. I blew all of it boosting on the first lap and still ranked out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Has anyone won a face despite visually not being in first? I've now had this happen twice. The first time it might have been a case of the other car exploding after it hit the finish line visually but in game it happened before, but this time I was just behind, the timer stopped when they hit the line and I won.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1713382984924172647

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I placed 1st for the first time ever tonight but it was a team race so not a real win.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

New tracks coming tomorrow!

GashouseGorilla
Nov 11, 2011

I hope the new tracks are remixed i.e. just give me death wind 1 mirror mode

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Excited to see how insane the Red Canyon II shortcut is with so many people going for it at once.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Mute City III is easier than II.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breadallelogram posted:

Mute City III is easier than II.

Much easier especially if you just sit in 20th and collect sparks while the people ahead of you take out the mines.

If you want to win a King League, play it in the next 24 hours. People do not know how these tracks work. I had the biggest smile on my face as I got a fairly cheesey win on Red Canyon II to take the lead in the GP.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1714830712661233827

Then I did something way cheesier to actually win the GP

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1714831214069403811

I hosed up the start and ended up way behind in Fire Field, so I got an early super boost and was debating holding it until the Final Lap. I figured eh why bother I can out drive these people, used it on lap 2 and got in the top three and was doing fine until I hosed up one turn and went back to 15th. Realized I was screwed unless I got a golden bumper, got it, hit it too hard and realized I had to slow down to hit it again and get my super boost which is where the video starts.

Pro Tip: PIT LANE IS SLOWER THAN NOT DOING PIT LANE ON FIRE FIELD! People don't seem to realize that yet, especially if you have a boost in reserve. I can't believe I won that. I had enough points to still win the GP without the top 5 all loving up like that, but it made me laugh so hard. I love this game.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The GP I played in had someone finish Fire Field in 3:01 and my best practice time is 3:04 right now. No idea how to negotiate those hairpins in the first half without taking some damage.

Of course, I had to play this instead of the ost for the true white-knuckle experience.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 19, 2023

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I think it's really loving lame that the grand prix's are open for all of ten minutes every three (two?) hours. I understand why it's that way but it still sucks to rank/crash out, have your internet hiccup, or whatever and you're just done for another three hours. At least I imagine every prix will be King's like it was for Queen's when that first opened.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 19, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's every 2 hours on weekdays, so unless they adjust the schedule we'll have to wait 6 hours between specific GPs. Not great!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
My first two Kings I placed 1st and 2nd so I was very much feeling "why would anyone want to play another GP!" then this afternoon I crashed out twice within 10 minutes on Mute City III so I guess I could go for other courses too.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I haven't finished a GP, and the highest place I've gotten is 17th (and it was on Death Wind I) but goddamn do I love this game.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I placed 1st for the first time (outside of team battle) last night. Wild Goose, Mute City II.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I got a very funny first last night where I got two KOs in rapid succession as the final lap began and just boosted through an entire lap and a couple red bumpers.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1716643268648419508

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Been playing this since release, and been having a ton of fun with it. Still have not won a race, still have not managed to make it to the end of a GP (I usually end up either crashing out or ranking out before the end of the third race).

But last night I did finally manage to finish unlocking the "Complete 10 races in a row without crashing out" decals for Golden Fox, Wild Goose, and Fire Stingray, so that felt good. :unsmith:

I've also finally managed to figure out the timing for each car to get the initial boost at the start of the race, which is nice. I guess I need to buckle down and just start running each of the 12 courses I have unlocked in Practice mode to get a better feel for them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

W.T. Fits posted:

Been playing this since release, and been having a ton of fun with it. Still have not won a race, still have not managed to make it to the end of a GP (I usually end up either crashing out or ranking out before the end of the third race).

But last night I did finally manage to finish unlocking the "Complete 10 races in a row without crashing out" decals for Golden Fox, Wild Goose, and Fire Stingray, so that felt good. :unsmith:

I've also finally managed to figure out the timing for each car to get the initial boost at the start of the race, which is nice. I guess I need to buckle down and just start running each of the 12 courses I have unlocked in Practice mode to get a better feel for them.

What areas are you having the most trouble with? I'm guessing the crash outs are finding yourself at risk of ranking out and having to boost too much, or are you having trouble balancing boost with the damage you take?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

MassRafTer posted:

What areas are you having the most trouble with? I'm guessing the crash outs are finding yourself at risk of ranking out and having to boost too much, or are you having trouble balancing boost with the damage you take?

A little from column A, a little from column B. Neither of which is helped by the "you're in danger of ranking out" alert noise, which causes me to panic, which in turn causes me to drive more recklessly/sloppily.

I'm also just not very good at cornering/drifting. Need to practice, and also just need to race on the practice courses more to familiarize myself with them. I play pretty casually, usually one or two F-Zero 99 races per day, maybe the occasional Pro Tracks run if I'm feeling up for it. I do make a point of doing a Mini-Prix or a Grand Prix if there's one available while I'm playing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

W.T. Fits posted:

A little from column A, a little from column B. Neither of which is helped by the "you're in danger of ranking out" alert noise, which causes me to panic, which in turn causes me to drive more recklessly/sloppily.

I'm also just not very good at cornering/drifting. Need to practice, and also just need to race on the practice courses more to familiarize myself with them. I play pretty casually, usually one or two F-Zero 99 races per day, maybe the occasional Pro Tracks run if I'm feeling up for it. I do make a point of doing a Mini-Prix or a Grand Prix if there's one available while I'm playing.

If you search for BLAST TURNING in F-Zero 99 on youtube there is a decent video that explains it better than I can in text that might be helpful.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Sub-3'04" on Fire Field for the background? Is this even possible on the Goose? How the gently caress am I supposed to take that one turn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Has the game reached the tipping point where you gotta know the meta to win? As in exactly where to boost, how many sparks you have to collect by when and when to use the skyway, and all other strats? I haven't been able to play for a few days.