Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I think it has. There's no shot at winning Queen or King GPs unless you can somehow not have the speedrunners who can win every race effortlessly queue into the lobby. I am pretty consistently a distant like 5th or 6th in most GPs and often mathematically eliminated from 1st by the 4th race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You definitely don't have to be perfect or plan everything out to win single races, and you can definitely still win GPs without coming in first, but there are a lot of winners who will score above 980. I won a race last night where I didn't get a single skyway and wasted some extra boost on the third lap assuming I was going to just get the skyway on the final lap and didn't. Only won one GP in the last few days and while I got two firsts the other finishes were like, 5th, 6th and 11th.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I finally made it to the end of the Knight League GP! Even managed to come in 9th place on Silence despite it being my first time running the course (I've seen other people race it before) and came in 15th overall.

Still have yet to actually win first place in any race, but just making it to the end of a GP without crashing or ranking out feels like a huge win for me.

Edit: Made it to the end of the Queen League GP, though sadly crashed out on White Land II due to not having enough speed going into a jump. Still, if nothing else at least the course is unlocked for practice in case I ever make it that far again!

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 5, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

W.T. Fits posted:

I finally made it to the end of the Knight League GP! Even managed to come in 9th place on Silence despite it being my first time running the course (I've seen other people race it before) and came in 15th overall.

Still have yet to actually win first place in any race, but just making it to the end of a GP without crashing or ranking out feels like a huge win for me.

Edit: Made it to the end of the Queen League GP, though sadly crashed out on White Land II due to not having enough speed going into a jump. Still, if nothing else at least the course is unlocked for practice in case I ever make it that far again!

Now that is a brutal way to get introduced to White Land II. Fortunately with the boosting in this game once you die once you should be ok there.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Now that is a brutal way to get introduced to White Land II. Fortunately with the boosting in this game once you die once you should be ok there.

Honestly, it's my own fault since I was kinda sandbagging and not really going all out since I knew that I couldn't rank out there. Didn't realize I was going too slow for the jump until I started descending and saw I was going to land short of the track.

But at least it's unlocked for Practice mode, which means I have all the time in the world to get a feel for it before my next attempt at Queen League.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
My daughter showed this to me and it looks great, as a huge SNES f-zero fan I'm probably more excited than her tbh, but I'm concerned about Switch Online, something I would never consider otherwise. In what ways can I expect this service to betray me and piss me off?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Honestly, it's my own fault since I was kinda sandbagging and not really going all out since I knew that I couldn't rank out there. Didn't realize I was going too slow for the jump until I started descending and saw I was going to land short of the track.

But at least it's unlocked for Practice mode, which means I have all the time in the world to get a feel for it before my next attempt at Queen League.

there are decals you unlock by finishing the practice tracks under a certain time limit, and I found that getting all those decals helped me get better at each track

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

erosion posted:

My daughter showed this to me and it looks great, as a huge SNES f-zero fan I'm probably more excited than her tbh, but I'm concerned about Switch Online, something I would never consider otherwise. In what ways can I expect this service to betray me and piss me off?

There's no voice chat and the N64/GBA/Genesis games are on a higher tier paywall. But if you just want to play some cool games online it's pretty cheap and you get NES/SNES/GB games. If your daughter is into Animal Crossing or Splatoon it's kind of a no brainer. I played enough Tetris 99, a ton of Mario 35 and now way too much F-Zero 99 that the base price is an after thought.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

There's no voice chat and the N64/GBA/Genesis games are on a higher tier paywall. But if you just want to play some cool games online it's pretty cheap and you get NES/SNES/GB games. If your daughter is into Animal Crossing or Splatoon it's kind of a no brainer. I played enough Tetris 99, a ton of Mario 35 and now way too much F-Zero 99 that the base price is an after thought.

The regular price is also pretty loving cheap at 20 euro per year which can be gamed with the family plan if you feel so inclined.

erosion posted:

That said you get what you pay for. It's not a very GOOD service, as in the quality of the connection is pretty mediocre. I generally have 0 problems on the best fiber optic wifi whatever I can get in France, but considering how many players drop out of games of Smash Bros or Splatoon it's telling that it relies a lot on the user to have a good connection.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer posted:

You definitely don't have to be perfect or plan everything out to win single races, and you can definitely still win GPs without coming in first, but there are a lot of winners who will score above 980. I won a race last night where I didn't get a single skyway and wasted some extra boost on the third lap assuming I was going to just get the skyway on the final lap and didn't. Only won one GP in the last few days and while I got two firsts the other finishes were like, 5th, 6th and 11th.

With less people playing I think it now requires a little bit more meta if you are just under top tier since you need to really recognize how many super boosts you'll be able to get in a race early and plan around it. So if you hang around 10-20 and use super boosts to get into the top 5 and challenge for the first near the end you need to know if you'll be able to get that second boost or if you need to conserve energy to compensate.

Below that and the game plays basically the same, if I gently caress up early I don't have an issue getting a 2nd and 4th lap super boost and finishing top 10.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

game updated

quote:

F-Zero 99 - Ver. 1.1.0 (Released November 28, 2023)

New Additions
Added a new Classic mode. These are 20-player races with the same rules as the Super NES version of F-ZERO. Classic races are one variety of special event and will be held periodically.
Added Lucky Ranks gameplay. Every time you enter a race, your rank and the machine you used will be recorded. After entering five races, you can reveal the Lucky Ranks. If your ranks match any of the ranks on the cards—or your machine matches the machine shown—you can receive in-game rewards.
You can reach the Lucky Ranks screen by pressing the L Stick on the main menu.
You can reveal the Lucky Ranks card once per day.
Added backdrops, badges, and borders that can be used to customize Pilot Cards. After meeting the specified conditions, you will be able to use them for customization.
You can check the specified conditions and perform customization by selecting WORKSHOP on the main menu, and then selecting PILOT CARDS.

Other Adjustments and Changes
Made it easier to return to the main menu after crashing out or getting ranked out during MINI PRIX or GRAND PRIX races. (In Ver. 1.0.2 and earlier there were cases where, depending on the timing, it was not possible to leave the race for a little while).
Adjusted the difficulty for the initial startup training to make it easier. A feature to skip training has also been added, making it possible to enter online races with other players right away.
After the first training race has ended, you can skip all remaining training by pressing the Y Button on the main menu. Additionally, from the second race (F-ZERO 25) onward, an option to skip to the next race will display if you crash out or are ranked out.
You cannot return to a training once you have skipped it.
In F-ZERO 99, players who just started the game or are not yet used to the gameplay will now be matched together.

Other Fixes
Fixed issues to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.

Classic mode is cool. I think the tracks are slightly narrower, or it could be the 4:3 aspect ratio that's making me think that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breadallelogram posted:

game updated

Classic mode is cool. I think the tracks are slightly narrower, or it could be the 4:3 aspect ratio that's making me think that.

I am pretty sure the 99 courses are wider to accommodate all of the extra cars. Classic mode is ok, surprised we got this before Death Race though.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
lol it's goddamn impossible to even make it to the 5th race of any gp what are y'all talking about

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Managed to clear the King's League! :toot:

And with that, all of the courses are now available for practice mode.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Sarah Cenia posted:

lol it's goddamn impossible to even make it to the 5th race of any gp what are y'all talking about

It takes practice but it's definitely doable. Which cars are you using?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Breadallelogram posted:

It takes practice but it's definitely doable. Which cars are you using?

I use Wild Goose mostly and I like the Blue Falcon after that.
It's really just that after the third race, I either hesitate and race too conservatively and time out, or I boost too much and then blow up on the final lap. lol.
I made it to the end of the queen cup once.

This is the only game I've played lately where the competition of it is kinda exciting though. it's addictive.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Sarah Cenia posted:

I use Wild Goose mostly and I like the Blue Falcon after that.
It's really just that after the third race, I either hesitate and race too conservatively and time out, or I boost too much and then blow up on the final lap. lol.
I made it to the end of the queen cup once.

This is the only game I've played lately where the competition of it is kinda exciting though. it's addictive.

Yep, that's how it was for me at the start too. Either playing it too safe and ranking out on the 3rd/4th race or buckling under pressure and exploding. Takes time to get the balance just right. I've found Golden Fox to be the easiest to learn with since it heals so quickly and you can use more boosts per lap. But I was very stubbornly using Falcon exclusively while learning the game.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Classic Fire Stingray Mode is impossible. Granted I haven't played all that much in the last several weeks but I either rank out or barely finish

shyduck fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 9, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This should be interesting.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1737295513425248456

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hopefully it rotates in often enough that I can try it out

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shyduck posted:

Hopefully it rotates in often enough that I can try it out

One is basically always an option to pick, if anything playing a non Knight League course might be a challenge right now outside of GPs because the Knight League courses are always winning the votes.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Ohhhh I thought it was a GP only, good to know. I haven't played since the addition but I'll try it out tonight

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

As a longtime F-Zero fan seeing a high res 99 player version of the classic SNES is something 10 year old me would had wet dreams about.

Funny how the worst car in the original is now considered the best, fun inversion.

Been playing the new winter remix tracks and the reindeer antlers on the annoying npc cars is a fun touch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't customize my cars because I like the classic looks but I had to switch to the winter boost when I unlocked it because having snowflakes spin around me during a spin attack is too good to pass up.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1750334426226069531

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Private Lobbies are cool but I want to know what these secret tracks are.

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Private Lobbies are cool but I want to know what these secret tracks are.
I just ran one on 99 mode that was labeled ??? and was a weird amalgamation of different tracks built on top of the Death Wind loop, like the White Land 2 tight turns and jumps. Wonder if there are other permutations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

waddler posted:

I just ran one on 99 mode that was labeled ??? and was a weird amalgamation of different tracks built on top of the Death Wind loop, like the White Land 2 tight turns and jumps. Wonder if there are other permutations.

I got this and it said it was unlocked but it wasn't in practice mode which was a bummer.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The ??? track I got fits that description as well. Anyone seen a different one?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
There's another one that's a mashup of Mute City III and I think White Land I (?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_MkKSGZ0M.

Apparently there's a Mute City/Firefield remix that's been datamined as well, maybe we will get a "Mute City is now on fire" track.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

There's another one that's a mashup of Mute City III and I think White Land I (?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_MkKSGZ0M.

Apparently there's a Mute City/Firefield remix that's been datamined as well, maybe we will get a "Mute City is now on fire" track.

This is so much cooler than the Death Wind/White Land course, holy poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I just played a Mirrored Big Blue, well, sort of a mirrored Big Blue it has other differences like an entire turn being completely filled with mines which wreck all the Golden Foxes in the lead.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Have been trying to clear Fire Field under 3'04" to get the backdrop and had gotten down to around 3'05" with Fox and 3'06" with Goose and Stingray.

Finally after a week of trying, I decided on a whim to see what my time would be with Falcon, which I generally don't use, and got 3'02" first try. Huh.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I know this response is months old but I have to echo this. Just race consistently and take advantage of others' mistakes. I once placed into a GP with four top players and ended up winning because they all crashed out by the final track (also helped that I took out one of them with the Goose). Only finished in first place once, though I was in the top 10 in the other four tracks.

Even the best players like Mengsk crash out in Mute City LOL. It also doesn't help them that usually they have a target on their back and you'll see the elite players aim to KO each other.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

Have been trying to clear Fire Field under 3'04" to get the backdrop and had gotten down to around 3'05" with Fox and 3'06" with Goose and Stingray.

Finally after a week of trying, I decided on a whim to see what my time would be with Falcon, which I generally don't use, and got 3'02" first try. Huh.

I got all the practice times with the Falcon. I've found I'm really good with that car when I'm not surrounded by 98 other cars.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

One of the mystery tracks is a combo of Mute City and Fire Field, with the background being a destroyed Mute City surrounded by hellfire and lava. Metal as gently caress. :black101:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

wafflemoose posted:

One of the mystery tracks is a combo of Mute City and Fire Field, with the background being a destroyed Mute City surrounded by hellfire and lava. Metal as gently caress. :black101:

It feels almost like Doom.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

It feels almost like Doom.

Falcon Punch & Kick until it is done

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I finally got some time to play again and caught a ??? track. It was Death Wind I with White Land II elements. It was neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

shyduck posted:

I finally got some time to play again and caught a ??? track. It was Death Wind I with White Land II elements. It was neat!

I just played that one too! I've decided the track's name is White Death.