Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The non-Golden Fox cars really need some buffs. It's been almost consistently Golden Foxes in the top 10 for me every time I play and every time I pick it, I do much better than when I play other cars. I don't think it should be nerfed but the other cars need their recovery upped even just a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The trade off is that the Golden Fox is piloted by Dr. Stewart, who is not Captain Falcon, Samurai Goroh, or Pico.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They should rename "super spark collector" to "goldbug"

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I really wish the music changed for the final lap. I have been surprised by the fourth lap many times. I just “finished” in 12th and put my controller down, but it was the third lap. :(

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Aw, I finally won one, but in a Team Battle it doesn't count for a badge or skin or whatever : (

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
1st in a team battle does give a color

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

SettingSun posted:

This game needs a 20 lap endurance mode, with the bottom 5 dropping off every lap. It also needs a death race mode, where you race until there's only one left standing, disqualified only by crashouts (with some mechanism that slowly drains your power or similar so you can't go infinite).

Apparently there were some datamined leaks that included two new modes - Arcade and 'Survival'. I'm betting survival is exactly what you're describing here.

GashouseGorilla
Nov 11, 2011

the next FZero game should only have team battles on death wind.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

spiritual bypass posted:

1st in a team battle does give a color

I suppose that's score-wise, not race position. I got first, but not highest score.

Also Red NPC cars are the worst
EDIT: I just hit a red on in mid air and it knocked me out of the stage. loving fucks

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 20, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Death Wind might be my favorite track so far. I just love everything about it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This is way better than it has any right to be.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I want team battles on Port Town

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am hoping this has legs.

Also, I heard that up until now with F-Zero 99 and the upcoming Donkey Kong vs Mario remake, the developers of this, Nintendo Software Technology, was basically in developer purgatory because they hosed up Project HAMMER extremely hard.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 20, 2023

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i play Wild Goose, and often hit the proper track in the 50s or so, and usually finish in the teens or better. The way the super boost works in this game, you are definitely able to finish in the top 10, even with a mediocre start.

wild goose is a lot better at pushing its way through the pack

the other cars get knocked around too much from impacts, so unless they super boost, it's hard to push past where most of the rest of the racers are concentrated. the goose can just muscle through like they're not even there

it's an absolute tank. i got used to it first and now i can't bear to drive anything else

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TracerBullet posted:

Apparently there were some datamined leaks that included two new modes - Arcade and 'Survival'. I'm betting survival is exactly what you're describing here.

Wow and the name of a Satellaview track in that datamine. Exciting.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Any ideas when there's going to be more tracks unlocked?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Youremother posted:

The non-Golden Fox cars really need some buffs. It's been almost consistently Golden Foxes in the top 10 for me every time I play and every time I pick it, I do much better than when I play other cars. I don't think it should be nerfed but the other cars need their recovery upped even just a little.

Gonna assume FZero 99 is using the same car stats from the SNES original. If that's the case the Golden Fox has the best acceleration but the lowest top speed (Fire Stingray being the opposite), so it's more forgiving about recovering from a goof.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The energy recovery Golden Fox gets absolutely needs a tiny nerf, you get 3/4 of the bar even on the tiny strip on Death Wind. That said, speculation is that once Queen and King hit it won't be quite as dominant in the meta.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Any ideas when there's going to be more tracks unlocked?

Late September if the leaks are to be believed

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

This needs to be inches from the finish line to be truly accurate

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope
So I don't know if a switch has been flipped or what is going on, but it seems like for the last two days my F-Zero 99 races track options are only between Death Wind and Sand Ocean...and Death Wind never wins :( I've done Sand Ocean 5 times in a row and I'm mighty sick of it at this point. Is anyone else seeing this too or just 'bad luck' on my point.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've seen the vote go all sorts of ways so I haven't seen a pattern. I think if you don't choose it defaults your vote to the left choice so that may skew votes that way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Seeing Black Shadow, I would love for the Black Bull to be added.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This game while not perfect has been a ton of fun and I hope it doesn't get the SMB35 treatment. I've probably put in about 20 hours or so far since release.

So far I have a Knight Class GP overall win and 5 race wins total, although those wins came earlier on and it seems competition is getting better by the day., which is to be expected.

All the wins were using Wild Goose and that's been my main so far. Since it's so sturdy, I like that I can focus on the racing lines more.

I've used Fire Stingray the 2nd most, and while that was my main for the SNES game, I find the slow acceleration too limiting when dealing with these dense packs.

I started using Blue Falcon in the past few days, and seems like I can consistently finish 10-25th in it but no higher. But I like it

Golden Fox I've used... twice? Twice.

So that's my story so far, also if I never drove Mute City 1 again in my lifetime I'd be okay with it

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 20, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

TracerBullet posted:

So I don't know if a switch has been flipped or what is going on, but it seems like for the last two days my F-Zero 99 races track options are only between Death Wind and Sand Ocean...and Death Wind never wins :( I've done Sand Ocean 5 times in a row and I'm mighty sick of it at this point. Is anyone else seeing this too or just 'bad luck' on my point.

To me it's pretty much always Mute City beats Big Blue beats Death Wind beats Sand Ocean. I have been seeing a slight uptick in SO beating DW, but if either of the two identity maps come up it's a lock for them.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Youremother posted:

it's pretty much always Mute City beats Big Blue beats Death Wind beats Sand Ocean

Yeah this pretty much maps with my experience too.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Oh and Port Town almost always beats White Land in the pro tracks circuit, which is hard because I'm pretty sure those are the only two tracks you can choose in it? Maybe I'm unlucky, I still haven't gotten to Silence :smith:

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Captain Lavender posted:

I suppose that's score-wise, not race position. I got first, but not highest score.

Also Red NPC cars are the worst
EDIT: I just hit a red on in mid air and it knocked me out of the stage. loving fucks

I hate when I come down from the skyway on the last lap and it drops me right onto a red, and the explosion knocks me into a second red.

SettingSun posted:

Death Wind might be my favorite track so far. I just love everything about it.
I came into this as a Sand Ocean hater and my fellow voters seemed to agree, based on how often it loses in the voting. but it's grown on me a lot as a track. It's the most technically-demanding of the four tracks available for standard races. Really good strategic boost and spin spots. Lots of places where you can gently caress up badly if you don't approach it right (the red bumpers that spawn at the last curve have cost me at least 4 wins).

Death Wind I like too, because it tends to be where I get my best results.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Youremother posted:

Oh and Port Town almost always beats White Land in the pro tracks circuit, which is hard because I'm pretty sure those are the only two tracks you can choose in it? Maybe I'm unlucky, I still haven't gotten to Silence :smith:

For me, White Land usually beats out Port Town, to my dismay.

Silence isn't in Pro Tracks, it only appears as the final track of a Grand Prix.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I would like it if the tracks weren't always voted on; like every other race it would just be random or whatever. With voting it's been Mute City forever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I get a really good mix of tracks.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Finally got to the last race of a grand prix and got my rear end blown up on Silence.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've watched videos of people absolutely dominating with the Blue Falcon but I'm just not at that level. Especially on Big Blue where I struggle to hit the top 10. 4 games with the Golden Fox...

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1705424422713123030

The Blue Falcon would probably need just the tiniest buff to its recovery to be really competitive because it is a much, much better handling machine and I can see why people can dominate with it. Of course the properties of the Golden Fox mean I haven't finished a GP with it because I do tend to crash out more being reckless.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I have been playing exclusively blue falcon and it does feel like an uphill battle. Slowly getting better though.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
blue falcon struggles a lot when the average skill level of a game goes up. i think it needs something of a unique buff to let it have its own identity, like longer lasting boosts or something.

currently i think wild goose and golden fox are tied for best car, with fire stingray in 2nd and blue falcon last. wild goose is very consistent and golden fox is high risk high reward. fire stingray tends to get bullied too much to really take advantage of its higher top end speed and better turning.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I've swapped from Wild Goose to Blue Falcon to see if the greater maneuverability is more useful now that I've regained some sense of how SNES F-Zero works. Good times!

I ranked out of a Grand Prix last night and decided to watch the leader in the next race, especially since they made driving Blue Falcon look like effortlessly sliding a puck around. Port Town II, no less! Then in the final lap, they hit the Z-turn wrong, ping-ponged between two walls, and died near-instantly from full shield.

:ohdear:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I love skywaying to 1st and landing directly on a red bumper, it's fun

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

shyduck posted:

I love skywaying to 1st and landing directly on a red bumper, it's fun

This has happened to me enough that I'm starting to wonder if it isn't coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I've had a couple races now where I was in 1st place from 2nd to the 4th lap, then it becomes a gridlock of red bumpers and I choke. I like that there are obstacles for the top position racers, but drat if it isn't demoralizing when I just want 1st. My only first place was in Team Battle and I didn't get the paint job.