Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Spin refills instantly when you hit jump bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Game plays really good with a copilot reading you energy levels, spin bar refill and the like.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bleck posted:

How can you tell who's a bot?

I'm always telling myself that people at rank S-7 with 99 GP victories are bots, otherwise I'd get depressed with my lvl. 9, B- rear end. :v:

I like to play a little bit each morning, which apparently puts me into some weird Eastern time zone, because my races are always like 50% Japanese names. Though sometimes you get a joker with a name like "________", which can make it hard to tell.

On my free days, there's a certain time between 11-12 am local time when all those Japanese/Asian people all got to sleep, and suddenly, there's a weird spot for a couple races with only 15-30 real players, none of them Asian. Then suddenly all the other people from that new time zone wake up and races are back to normal.

Anyway, are Silence I and II part of the normal or at least pro circuit now? I tried my best to unlock them when I saw Silence as GP-track, but I never managed to survive a Grand Prix for long enough to actually reach those tracks. I probably will never see them unlocked, at this rate.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Libluini posted:

I'm always telling myself that people at rank S-7 with 99 GP victories are bots, otherwise I'd get depressed with my lvl. 9, B- rear end. :v:

I like to play a little bit each morning, which apparently puts me into some weird Eastern time zone, because my races are always like 50% Japanese names. Though sometimes you get a joker with a name like "________", which can make it hard to tell.

On my free days, there's a certain time between 11-12 am local time when all those Japanese/Asian people all got to sleep, and suddenly, there's a weird spot for a couple races with only 15-30 real players, none of them Asian. Then suddenly all the other people from that new time zone wake up and races are back to normal.

Anyway, are Silence I and II part of the normal or at least pro circuit now? I tried my best to unlock them when I saw Silence as GP-track, but I never managed to survive a Grand Prix for long enough to actually reach those tracks. I probably will never see them unlocked, at this rate.

Silence I and White Land II are not part of any rotation right now the only way to get them are in the GP.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bleck posted:

There was no touching him. He was simply Gone, every time...
I honestly don't get how this person isn't just bored to death by now

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Silence I and White Land II are not part of any rotation right now the only way to get them are in the GP.

Aww, that sucks. I guess I have to take GPs and hope Silence I shows up as one of the first three tracks, because that's as far as I've gotten so far.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Libluini posted:

Aww, that sucks. I guess I have to take GPs and hope Silence I shows up as one of the first three tracks, because that's as far as I've gotten so far.

They're both the last tracks and will always be. You have to make it to the end.

I haven't tried anything but Golden Fox and my strategy isn't to win but just survive. You can get by relying on people to crash and at most boosting at safe moments, but even then just take your lumps, fully heal, and don't get zoned out.

I had to do Queen GP 3 times before I managed it. Kept getting deleted on the 2nd track before I figured out where to boost.

Once you get to them, take last place but just go carefully and finish the track.

I wonder if Goose also wouldn't allow you to take hits and still push through. Not getting last is tricky but not the hardest thing, I find surviving the tracks the real challenge.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

They're both the last tracks and will always be. You have to make it to the end.

I haven't tried anything but Golden Fox and my strategy isn't to win but just survive. You can get by relying on people to crash and at most boosting at safe moments, but even then just take your lumps, fully heal, and don't get zoned out.

I had to do Queen GP 3 times before I managed it. Kept getting deleted on the 2nd track before I figured out where to boost.

Once you get to them, take last place but just go carefully and finish the track.

I wonder if Goose also wouldn't allow you to take hits and still push through. Not getting last is tricky but not the hardest thing, I find surviving the tracks the real challenge.

The Goose feels like a pretty good option for someone who is struggling at surviving, but how limited your boosts will be is a little challenging.

I think for Queen cup in the Goose you have a good shot at advancing if you can do the following as a decent strategy, if not perfect:

Mute City 2: Boost at the starting line if you are behind the pack and haven't taken damage, don't boost if you have.
Boost through the dirt after jump and then after you corner the final turn as tight as possible.

Take the skyway right after the turn before the circle. You should get two boosts that way but beware it might drop you off in the dirt before the second jump. If you get a skyway between the circle and the second jump on the 1st or 2nd lap just use it there, don't hold it an entire lap.

Port Land 1: Boost through the gentle curves after the jump and after the 2nd to last turn (right after the magnets) use the skyway before the area where it skips a big section of track a few turns before the magnets. This should allow you to use that skip and skip the magnets and end up on the second to last straightaway for your boost.

Red Canyon 1: Practice those early turns. If you can get the rhythm you will pass a few people here. Boost through that weird section of track with lots of dirt after the section with the jumps, it's a straight away but people get nervous because of all the curved walls, and the turn after it is very easy to take boosting. You can double up on boosts in later laps here if you have energy. Either skyway right after the pit area or before the jumps. The former skips the turns which is really slow, the later skips a big section of track. Not sure which is better.

White Land 1: Boost after straightening out on the two big icy turns. Lots of people going slow and some KO opportunities near the end. Skyway through the first icy turn OR take the last jump, fly left off the course and activate it to skip a big section of track if you feel more daring.

Make sure you spin before the pit areas lots of people will be low on energy.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Also it's important to remember the closer you are to 1st, the less length your skyway time is. There are skyway sections that will carry you through even after your skyway meter is empty, like when they're over a trackless section, but you have to be on it just long enough. After a while, you get a feel for when you can safely activate the skyway relative to your position and get the most out of it. It sucks to fall short of one of those sections, because those are money

shyduck fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 2, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shyduck posted:

Also it's important to remember the closer you are to 1st, the less length your skyway time is. There are skyway sections that will carry you through even after your skyway meter is empty, like when they're over a trackless section, but you have to be on it just long enough. After a while, you get a feel for when you can safely activate the skyway relative to your position and get the most out of it. It sucks to fall short of one of those sections, because those are money

I also swear there are other random factors that change the length of your skyway I just can't figure it out. But the most important thing to know is where you need your meter to run out so you are on a curve and will get bonus skyway. For example if you use it in 10thish on White Land 2 right before the first big hairpin turn and you will ride that thing until the icy patch right before the big jump.

Also very happy to finally get 1st on Death Wind II.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1709009697863516603

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm about halfway through S rank, still ain't won a race. Falcon only.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Does anyone else just find themselves suddenly terrible at this

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

shyduck posted:

Does anyone else just find themselves suddenly terrible at this

"suddenly"? :negative:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Managed to get 6th in a queen league GP. I think that's the best I've done so far.

Are we ever going to be able to run the knight league GP again?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breadallelogram posted:

Managed to get 6th in a queen league GP. I think that's the best I've done so far.

Are we ever going to be able to run the knight league GP again?

It was mixed in yesterday.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm kind of addicted to unlocking poo poo. Will I use that racer card? Never. Do I need to unlock it and more? Absolutely.

Whatever innate desire that is inside some of us is extremely strong with me. Same goes for achievements. I don't *need* them, but goddamn do I love having them. This game having unlocks is both the next best thing and actually better. It's a permanent thing on your F-Zero 99 profile and it unlocks cosmetics, so that makes it better than regular achievements. But they're not system-wide because Nintendo doesn't do that, which bugs me.

Still.... There's a little bit of pure joy when I get a new paint job for my vehicles.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 4, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm definitely being overdramatic, but I think I've stalled out at the moment in terms of rank. I've also been using all the cars now and my DNFs have been piling up, which definitely doesn't help rank. I think I subconsciously default to driving everything like Wild Goose during races and that's just a big nope

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 4, 2023

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

shyduck posted:

I'm definitely being overdramatic, but I think I've stalled out at the moment in terms of rank. I've also been using all the cars now and my DNFs have been piling up. I think I subconsciously default to driving everything like Wild Goose during races and that's just a big nope

it does kinda feel like a lot of the less serious players are getting filtered out before our eyes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Do you get more points if your rival happens to be a much higher rank than you and you beat them?

I realize for the first race in a GP, you're situated by people of the same or similar rank, but sometimes, you finish 25th, and an S-rank racer finished just before or after you.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

EightFlyingCars posted:

it does kinda feel like a lot of the less serious players are getting filtered out before our eyes
Absolutely. I'm curious how things will look once all the standard tracks have been out for a little while and everyone gets it through their system. I'm not wholly convinced they're gonna bring in the Satellaview or GBA tracks. Maybe they need to sprinkle in rank-based mini GPs or something of the sort. There's gotta be some incentive to keep casuals playing, or really anybody that doesn't have a ton of time to dedicate to this

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I never gave the original F-Zero much of a shot (I'm an X fan, myself), but I think playing it now after hours of 99 would be a much simpler experience.

I know the SNES version doesn't have all of the tricks that 99 does, but I've finally gotten my head around tilting and slowing down during a turn, so I should really try and 100% the original now.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do you get more points if your rival happens to be a much higher rank than you and you beat them?

I realize for the first race in a GP, you're situated by people of the same or similar rank, but sometimes, you finish 25th, and an S-rank racer finished just before or after you.

You are asking about points, but I would like to separately point out that the ranking up and down seems to be consistent per each time you beat 1, 2, 3, 4, or none of your rivals each race.

The randomness of rivals' performance is fun to me - sometimes I finish 50th and wind up smoking all four of my rivals, while other times I make top 15 without beating anyone, setting me back a tiny amount.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Space Fish posted:

You are asking about points, but I would like to separately point out that the ranking up and down seems to be consistent per each time you beat 1, 2, 3, 4, or none of your rivals each race.

The randomness of rivals' performance is fun to me - sometimes I finish 50th and wind up smoking all four of my rivals, while other times I make top 15 without beating anyone, setting me back a tiny amount.

Sorry, called them points, I just meant the amount your rank increases. But I think you answered my question, if you're saying that beating 1 rival, regardless of their ranking, always gets you the same amount, and the same goes for 2, 3, and 4.

Right?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Correct, or at least, the amount seems consistent for me - the bar increases a smidge every time I beat one rival, gets a nice bump for beating four rivals, etc.

Also, since I am seeing more "wah when will I finally get a win" reactions to the game online (ahem, reddit), let me point out that sometimes the glory belongs to sticking around after you rank/crash out to watch the pixel-perfect first-place racer make one wrong move at max speed and self-destruct. Or they take a turn sliiightly too wide and four other racers zip through the gap. The F makes zeroes of us all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I got a Nitro Deck and the sticks are so drat nice that I'm now better at this game.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I have noticed the overall skill level since Queen League released has upped considerably. Even this time last week I was able to pretty consistently get top 5 at Death Wind I, but the last couple of times I've been lucky to get top 10 even running a decent race.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

99 was undergoing maintenance when I tried to play earlier, so I decided to play the original F-Zero on the Switch Online SNES emulator. I've hardly played this game in my life. We are all toast when they add Mute City III and Fire Field to 99.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breadallelogram posted:

99 was undergoing maintenance when I tried to play earlier, so I decided to play the original F-Zero on the Switch Online SNES emulator. I've hardly played this game in my life. We are all toast when they add Mute City III and Fire Field to 99.

If Silence is anything to go by the field will clear out the minefield in Mute City III pretty quickly. Fire Field should be brutal, but somehow White Land II feels easier to survive in this game than the original so maybe Fire Field will be too.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

It's great to have a game with decently high skill-demand but simple inputs that I can keep coming back to

This is tickling all the same spots in my brain that love schmups and the like, so I can see myself sticking with it for wayyyy longer than Splatoon 3, or really any of the other multiplayer games I have gotten really into in recent years

I'm loving racing my own ghosts, which is my main barometer for this kind of thing. It just feels good to be good at this game

Ramie fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 5, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Since this seems to be the defacto F-Zero thread, at least for now, I'm enjoying this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl9xTw2iR8A

It mentions that Famicom Grand Prix F1 Race was the precursor to F-Zero (along with Tim Burton's Batman... Yes, really), but I always thought Mach Rider was essentially F-Zero on the NES? I mean, even the main Mach Rider theme song is available in Smash Bros Melee, in the F-Zero section. :psyduck:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Since this seems to be the defacto F-Zero thread, at least for now, I'm enjoying this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl9xTw2iR8A

It mentions that Famicom Grand Prix F1 Race was the precursor to F-Zero (along with Tim Burton's Batman... Yes, really), but I always thought Mach Rider was essentially F-Zero on the NES? I mean, even the main Mach Rider theme song is available in Smash Bros Melee, in the F-Zero section. :psyduck:

grand prix f1 race came out before mach rider and mach rider is essentially a reskin of f1 with some combat added in, so

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

grand prix f1 race came out before mach rider and mach rider is essentially a reskin of f1 with some combat added in, so

Famicom Grand Prix F1 Race is top down and looks like RC Pro-Am, whereas Mach Rider is behind the driver like Rad Racer. :confused:

Behold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN5DHXUP360

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgxK8bjBTg8

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Famicom Grand Prix F1 Race is top down and looks like RC Pro-Am, whereas Mach Rider is behind the driver like Rad Racer. :confused:

Behold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN5DHXUP360

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgxK8bjBTg8

oh i was thinking of the very similarly named f1 race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1nX-qnNo2E

i assume that's prolly what slopes meant in that video as well

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Welp, John from DF Retro sets the record straight. Of course, they've done a deep dive into the series.

Turns out, we're both right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T1O2zPrBs0

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Welp, John from DF Retro sets the record straight. Of course, they've done a deep dive into the series.

Turns out, we're both right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T1O2zPrBs0

lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ha, I love it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Need this person to say

"Given the ________ craze, a "Star Fox sequel that is true to the gameplay of Star Fox 64 but not a remake and F-Zero GXXX should be obvious projects at Nintendo right now."

A Star Fox Battle Royal could be fun...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MassRafTer posted:

Need this person to say

"Given the ________ craze, a "Star Fox sequel that is true to the gameplay of Star Fox 64 but not a remake and F-Zero GXXX should be obvious projects at Nintendo right now."

A Star Fox Battle Royal could be fun...

star fox adventures 99 is coming out next year you heard it here first

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I'm just waiting for Kirby Air Ride 99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
99 Swords Adventures