Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

robot roll call posted:

I think I'm addicted to this. I'm creeping up on B-rank but have yet to finish a Grand Prix without exploding or ranking out. I did just get a 2nd place which gives me confidence I will blunder into 1st one of these days

I got third for a bit when I was on track 3/5 in GP mode and then bombed hard near the finish line. Disqualified. Bah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm enjoying played with the SNES controller as intended. The bigger buttons help. Also, it was far easier swapping off with my brother-in-law yesterday because he could co-pilot, let me know when spin was charged, how far I was from Skyway, and how much energy I had cause it's hard to watch otherwise. I've also hit boost more than once thinking I had skyway when my spin recharged which has been catastrophic.

Do the SNES controllers have ZL/ZR? If not, how do you spin?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

(Edit: ^^^^ I always preferred the PSP game Metal Gear David: Reece Walker.)

Why does my spin get refilled instantly seemingly at random? I realize it's likely not random, but there's so much poo poo going on, I can't really pay attention to much else.

I put this game down for a couple of weeks, but got back into it hardcore last night. Unlocked a bunch of stuff. I'm still only around level 12, but I think I'll be playing more regularly now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm kind of addicted to unlocking poo poo. Will I use that racer card? Never. Do I need to unlock it and more? Absolutely.

Whatever innate desire that is inside some of us is extremely strong with me. Same goes for achievements. I don't *need* them, but goddamn do I love having them. This game having unlocks is both the next best thing and actually better. It's a permanent thing on your F-Zero 99 profile and it unlocks cosmetics, so that makes it better than regular achievements. But they're not system-wide because Nintendo doesn't do that, which bugs me.

Still.... There's a little bit of pure joy when I get a new paint job for my vehicles.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 4, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Do you get more points if your rival happens to be a much higher rank than you and you beat them?

I realize for the first race in a GP, you're situated by people of the same or similar rank, but sometimes, you finish 25th, and an S-rank racer finished just before or after you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I never gave the original F-Zero much of a shot (I'm an X fan, myself), but I think playing it now after hours of 99 would be a much simpler experience.

I know the SNES version doesn't have all of the tricks that 99 does, but I've finally gotten my head around tilting and slowing down during a turn, so I should really try and 100% the original now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Space Fish posted:

You are asking about points, but I would like to separately point out that the ranking up and down seems to be consistent per each time you beat 1, 2, 3, 4, or none of your rivals each race.

The randomness of rivals' performance is fun to me - sometimes I finish 50th and wind up smoking all four of my rivals, while other times I make top 15 without beating anyone, setting me back a tiny amount.

Sorry, called them points, I just meant the amount your rank increases. But I think you answered my question, if you're saying that beating 1 rival, regardless of their ranking, always gets you the same amount, and the same goes for 2, 3, and 4.

Right?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Since this seems to be the defacto F-Zero thread, at least for now, I'm enjoying this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl9xTw2iR8A

It mentions that Famicom Grand Prix F1 Race was the precursor to F-Zero (along with Tim Burton's Batman... Yes, really), but I always thought Mach Rider was essentially F-Zero on the NES? I mean, even the main Mach Rider theme song is available in Smash Bros Melee, in the F-Zero section. :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

grand prix f1 race came out before mach rider and mach rider is essentially a reskin of f1 with some combat added in, so

Famicom Grand Prix F1 Race is top down and looks like RC Pro-Am, whereas Mach Rider is behind the driver like Rad Racer. :confused:

Behold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN5DHXUP360

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgxK8bjBTg8

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Welp, John from DF Retro sets the record straight. Of course, they've done a deep dive into the series.

Turns out, we're both right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T1O2zPrBs0

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ha, I love it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Problems 99: Bitches-free Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocX0LkyXLx4

Cripes. A GX follow-up was SO CLOSE.

Welp, I now play FZ99 every day to help show Nintendo that there should be a new one.