Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

super fart shooter posted:

Some people are definitely really good, and a lot more are pretty bad. But it seems to me like there would also be a tendency for race leaders to run away with it, because the further away from the pack you are, the less chip damage you take over the course of each lap, which means more boost potential. I guess you get less skyway and chances for KO's so maybe it kinda balances out, I dunno

this is absolutely accurate. you gotta get out front asap or you will never get there unless you are on a track like silence or port town 2 where most people can't drive at all. if you are not top 10 by the time you get to the actual track on mute city or death wind, you are never ever going to get into the top 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

super fart shooter posted:

I've been playing the stingray since the game dropped, but this is making me reconsider. The slow acceleration curve means you can never really get a good position on the run up to the first lap. Although I think it's still good in practice mode since you can just boost right off the starting line

Does anyone know what that colored bar thing is that appears on the bottom left? Some network connection thing I assume

i've been going back and forth between the stingray and the wild goose. stingray is great on tracks people suck at driving, but it is real real rough on the easier tracks, which is where wild goose shines.

the best players mostly seem to be sticking to the stingray for every track but they are on another level than us scrubs.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

some of the old smb35 twitch crew i ran with back in the day are doing lobbies together hell yeah

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i gave my pro controller a try and holy fuckballs i cannot play this game for poo poo with an analog stick. back to the snes pad for this one.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Manoueverable posted:

Sand Ocean has already ruined more of my GP attempts than the other courses combined, I despise it.

it's always death wind for me. i can't navigate the pack for poo poo.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SettingSun posted:

It also needs a death race mode, where you race until there's only one left standing, disqualified only by crashouts (with some mechanism that slowly drains your power or similar so you can't go infinite).

hell yes

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

won my first gp despite a best finish of only 3rd and having a real awful race at death wind where i finished 13th (i am a goose driver and goose is just so much worse at death wind than fox or stingray)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Youremother posted:

Whenever I get an early lead with Golden Fox I always end up squandering it, falling back to the middle of the pack, and end up finishing in the mid 30s or so. If I start relatively in the middle I get a super boost and can climb up to the top 10 by the end of the race.

Golden Fox is the best car in the game though, zero doubt in my mind. A really good GF is unbeatable.

ehhh, watching the best players on twitch, i think stingray and fox are equal in the hands of good players aside from death wind where fox is indisputably the best car and silence where stingray definitely seems better.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

and if you want good players in other vehicles, obiyo and zewing are both extremely top-tier stingray players

i have not found any super good goose or falcon streamers and tbh i think the skill ceiling on both is just flat-out lower than fox and stingray

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there is a timing window where if someone you knock into a wall dies within that window you get the credit for the ko

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Since this seems to be the defacto F-Zero thread, at least for now, I'm enjoying this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl9xTw2iR8A

It mentions that Famicom Grand Prix F1 Race was the precursor to F-Zero (along with Tim Burton's Batman... Yes, really), but I always thought Mach Rider was essentially F-Zero on the NES? I mean, even the main Mach Rider theme song is available in Smash Bros Melee, in the F-Zero section. :psyduck:

grand prix f1 race came out before mach rider and mach rider is essentially a reskin of f1 with some combat added in, so

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Famicom Grand Prix F1 Race is top down and looks like RC Pro-Am, whereas Mach Rider is behind the driver like Rad Racer. :confused:

Behold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN5DHXUP360

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgxK8bjBTg8

oh i was thinking of the very similarly named f1 race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1nX-qnNo2E

i assume that's prolly what slopes meant in that video as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MassRafTer posted:

Need this person to say

"Given the ________ craze, a "Star Fox sequel that is true to the gameplay of Star Fox 64 but not a remake and F-Zero GXXX should be obvious projects at Nintendo right now."

A Star Fox Battle Royal could be fun...

star fox adventures 99 is coming out next year you heard it here first