Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

And those remasters were supervised by Uematsu, I've only played the 6 remaster but the new arrangements feel very much on purpose and not "throw in extra noises for some deluxe feel."

Oddly enough, playing FF Legends (mobile game), I'm enjoying the chiptune version of the soundtrack over the modern stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

super fart shooter posted:

Getting ping-ponged around makes good driving hard!

Speaking of this, I would like to thank RandomDriver345 for being a human(?) shield the first time I thought I'd crash out, but instead crashed from a hit from me and restored my shield. Felt crazy in the moment.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I've swapped from Wild Goose to Blue Falcon to see if the greater maneuverability is more useful now that I've regained some sense of how SNES F-Zero works. Good times!

I ranked out of a Grand Prix last night and decided to watch the leader in the next race, especially since they made driving Blue Falcon look like effortlessly sliding a puck around. Port Town II, no less! Then in the final lap, they hit the Z-turn wrong, ping-ponged between two walls, and died near-instantly from full shield.

:ohdear:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Captain Lavender posted:

I was thinking today, I wish you could add explosive bumpers to practice. At like, maximum gently caress-you frequency.

After a couple of Grand Prix where I've been in the top 10 (waffling between front and middle), I've wondered about the gently caress-you frequency. When I'm in the middle or back of the pack, the red bumpers seem to be pretty sporadic. When I'm at or near the front, the game seems to drop waves of 'em in the way, almost like a counterweight to not having the rest of the train making trouble.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm worried the game is dying because all of my GPs today have had like 6-15 human racers in them.

Is it lonely racing at S+ with the other royalty? (Kidding - but my performance has topped out at A for now)

I do think there'll be a chilling effect as people go from "wheee go fast in future cars while rivals explode" to "This is only the third race in the Grand Prix, whaddya mean I ranked out? I'm good at this game!"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do you get more points if your rival happens to be a much higher rank than you and you beat them?

I realize for the first race in a GP, you're situated by people of the same or similar rank, but sometimes, you finish 25th, and an S-rank racer finished just before or after you.

You are asking about points, but I would like to separately point out that the ranking up and down seems to be consistent per each time you beat 1, 2, 3, 4, or none of your rivals each race.

The randomness of rivals' performance is fun to me - sometimes I finish 50th and wind up smoking all four of my rivals, while other times I make top 15 without beating anyone, setting me back a tiny amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Correct, or at least, the amount seems consistent for me - the bar increases a smidge every time I beat one rival, gets a nice bump for beating four rivals, etc.

Also, since I am seeing more "wah when will I finally get a win" reactions to the game online (ahem, reddit), let me point out that sometimes the glory belongs to sticking around after you rank/crash out to watch the pixel-perfect first-place racer make one wrong move at max speed and self-destruct. Or they take a turn sliiightly too wide and four other racers zip through the gap. The F makes zeroes of us all.