Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Been playing this since release, and been having a ton of fun with it. Still have not won a race, still have not managed to make it to the end of a GP (I usually end up either crashing out or ranking out before the end of the third race).

But last night I did finally manage to finish unlocking the "Complete 10 races in a row without crashing out" decals for Golden Fox, Wild Goose, and Fire Stingray, so that felt good. :unsmith:

I've also finally managed to figure out the timing for each car to get the initial boost at the start of the race, which is nice. I guess I need to buckle down and just start running each of the 12 courses I have unlocked in Practice mode to get a better feel for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

What areas are you having the most trouble with? I'm guessing the crash outs are finding yourself at risk of ranking out and having to boost too much, or are you having trouble balancing boost with the damage you take?

A little from column A, a little from column B. Neither of which is helped by the "you're in danger of ranking out" alert noise, which causes me to panic, which in turn causes me to drive more recklessly/sloppily.

I'm also just not very good at cornering/drifting. Need to practice, and also just need to race on the practice courses more to familiarize myself with them. I play pretty casually, usually one or two F-Zero 99 races per day, maybe the occasional Pro Tracks run if I'm feeling up for it. I do make a point of doing a Mini-Prix or a Grand Prix if there's one available while I'm playing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I finally made it to the end of the Knight League GP! Even managed to come in 9th place on Silence despite it being my first time running the course (I've seen other people race it before) and came in 15th overall.

Still have yet to actually win first place in any race, but just making it to the end of a GP without crashing or ranking out feels like a huge win for me.

Edit: Made it to the end of the Queen League GP, though sadly crashed out on White Land II due to not having enough speed going into a jump. Still, if nothing else at least the course is unlocked for practice in case I ever make it that far again!

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 5, 2023

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Now that is a brutal way to get introduced to White Land II. Fortunately with the boosting in this game once you die once you should be ok there.

Honestly, it's my own fault since I was kinda sandbagging and not really going all out since I knew that I couldn't rank out there. Didn't realize I was going too slow for the jump until I started descending and saw I was going to land short of the track.

But at least it's unlocked for Practice mode, which means I have all the time in the world to get a feel for it before my next attempt at Queen League.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Managed to clear the King's League! :toot:

And with that, all of the courses are now available for practice mode.