Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Game is extremely addictive. I'm A- and have never won a race, but most of my rivals have. Feels bad.

I've almost exclusively used the stingray, but started experimenting with the golden fox. That's an even more white-knuckle experience, having to boost like 2-3x as much as you normally would, and being weak as a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Aw, I finally won one, but in a Team Battle it doesn't count for a badge or skin or whatever : (

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

spiritual bypass posted:

1st in a team battle does give a color

I suppose that's score-wise, not race position. I got first, but not highest score.

Also Red NPC cars are the worst
EDIT: I just hit a red on in mid air and it knocked me out of the stage. loving fucks

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 20, 2023

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I've had a couple races now where I was in 1st place from 2nd to the 4th lap, then it becomes a gridlock of red bumpers and I choke. I like that there are obstacles for the top position racers, but drat if it isn't demoralizing when I just want 1st. My only first place was in Team Battle and I didn't get the paint job.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Breadallelogram posted:

The one thing missing from the practice tracks is 98 other dipshits bumping into you and loving up your perfect turns.

I was thinking today, I wish you could add explosive bumpers to practice. At like, maximum gently caress-you frequency.

shyduck posted:

I think you can only unlock the race win paint job in the standard 99 mode. I picked up my first Fire Stingray win in a GP and also got nothing for it.

edit: not sure about the pro races though

Yeah, I gather that too. I think all the items that say F-Zero 99 have to be that mode. I originally thought that was just referring to the game as a whole

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

super fart shooter posted:

That’s precisely how it works, when you’re in front you can see them spawning a short distance ahead. You don’t see as many in the middle or rear because they don’t usually make it back that far, they get blown up before then. It’s kinda like the games’ version of blue shells or lightning bolts, the front runners get hit the hardest

It feels like they're set to self destruct as they fall behind 10th or so.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Guess I need to... try out the golden fox.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Trying to figure out why Mute City always wins. It's the plainest track, and is the hardest to win, because everyone's played it a million times.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I hate it though.

EDIT:
:negative:
1st Grand Prix, Mute City: in 2nd place coming around the final turn, I nicked a grey bumper, pinballing me into 2 red bumpers and died.
2nd Grand Prix, Mute City: 20th place, 3rd lap. Jumped the ramp, hit a red bumper mid-air, got knocked off the track,

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 27, 2023

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Wildtortilla posted:

These new tracks are super fun.

Yeah they are. I wish I could get even one of my friends to play this game.

Grand Prix's are so demoralizing. I think every one almost goes for me:
40th place > 8th place > 5th place > 32nd place rank out.

I just feel so impotent on Death Wind as a stingray. I get to the start line behind the cutoff and can hardly ever make it up.

I joined a GP today where there were like 8 of us, then the rest filled with computer racers for some reason. Thought it was my chance to get 1st, but I almost lost a couple of races cause of my own hubris and explosive bumpers. I did get 20th on Death wind though, so got that badge for lowest passing rank.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 30, 2023

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Good News - bad news:

I'm worried the game is dying because all of my GPs today have had like 6-15 human racers in them.

On the plus side, I got my 1st place in the Knight Cup

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Bleck posted:

How can you tell who's a bot?

Well, players trickle in, then when the timer goes to 0, it fills up with a bunch of generic names. And you can tell it's significantly less competitive

Space Fish posted:

Is it lonely racing at S+ with the other royalty? (Kidding - but my performance has topped out at A for now)

Is this the reason? I'm S-. I'm getting A's though in my GPs. Wouldn't think it would be hard to fill 99 racers

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

MassRafTer posted:

I haven't noticed many bots at all in my games. Are the bots the ones with names like "David" or whatever? The last GP I did looked pretty legit. Wouldn't mind a bot GP so I could do better than 3rd.

I would literally never win a GP with 99 players. Some of the names are generic like David - but the real tell is watching the pre-race lobby. See how many are in there before the timer runs out. Maybe I'm in some bermuda triangle region with no players.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

MassRafTer posted:

It didn't even occur to me but how did you do a Knight League GP today? I've only seen Queen League.

I have no idea. I'm Mountain Time US. It was Knight League this morning. Queen League now. I'm confused and frightened

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Man, if Death Wind didn't have all those boosts, it'd be good for us Stingrays; but I feel completely neutered on that track. So hard to qualify for the final GP round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Man I hate Death Wind. I went into it in a GP with 2 player KOs, so my bar was huge and basically purple. I blew all of it boosting on the first lap and still ranked out.