Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Nearly choked it away on Silence but clutched out a GP 1st place today. Beating 98 people to the crown is a great feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I get pretty frustrated by how often a red bumper will just wander into my line as I'm making a corner and blast me into the wall. It's not quite as bad as the original SNES game where they're magnetized to you, but when just one tap more or less ends your chances of even a top 20 finish it is really frustrating to have one drift into your path and be unable to evade it.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Sand Ocean has already ruined more of my GP attempts than the other courses combined, I despise it.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Getting a good result in Mute City in GP depends almost entirely on your super boost timing since everybody is running it constantly in regular races. You can still get a decent result if you don't start the track in the top 50 but if you don't finish in the top 20, it's a very uphill battle to finish the whole GP well.

e: I honestly cannot wait for Death Wind 2 to show up, it's going to be absolute hell.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 19, 2023

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

MassRafTer posted:

People going for the shortcut in Red Canyon 2 are going to make for really funny races. White Land 2 and Fire Field will have 30% completion rates.

I'm almost certain White Land 2 and Fire Field are why they decided to pare down GPs to 20 racers on the last race. It's going to be absurd.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The energy recovery Golden Fox gets absolutely needs a tiny nerf, you get 3/4 of the bar even on the tiny strip on Death Wind. That said, speculation is that once Queen and King hit it won't be quite as dominant in the meta.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
GPs are definitely a crap shoot in some respects. Consistent placement in the top 10 with a couple of top 5s can be good enough for a podium spot, even GP leaders get too risky and crash out sometimes. Just today I saw someone crash out on Silence when all they had to do was finish the race to win the GP. I've also blown it on Sand Ocean multiple times while being the leader :negative:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm 0/5 on finishing Queen League so far. To say I'm frustrated at this is a massive understatement.

E: 0/6, gently caress off red bumpers

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 1, 2023

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I have noticed the overall skill level since Queen League released has upped considerably. Even this time last week I was able to pretty consistently get top 5 at Death Wind I, but the last couple of times I've been lucky to get top 10 even running a decent race.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I've just straight up honked it on Queen League so many times now that I don't know if Wild Goose is the strat anymore. I had a run getting 1st on Mute City II and 2nd on White Land I but was in the high 20s on both Port Town and Red Canyon which left me a distant 3rd overall. I don't have any consistency going up against people who are getting 10th at worst every race.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The GP I played in had someone finish Fire Field in 3:01 and my best practice time is 3:04 right now. No idea how to negotiate those hairpins in the first half without taking some damage.

Of course, I had to play this instead of the ost for the true white-knuckle experience.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I think it has. There's no shot at winning Queen or King GPs unless you can somehow not have the speedrunners who can win every race effortlessly queue into the lobby. I am pretty consistently a distant like 5th or 6th in most GPs and often mathematically eliminated from 1st by the 4th race.