Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Finally got to the last race of a grand prix and got my rear end blown up on Silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I have been playing exclusively blue falcon and it does feel like an uphill battle. Slowly getting better though.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The one thing missing from the practice tracks is 98 other dipshits bumping into you and loving up your perfect turns.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I made it to the end of a grand prix for the first time tonight. I'm S- ranked.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

If a bumper rams me off the course while I'm airborne one more time, I'm throwing my switch out the window

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The universe put a twist on what I just complained about. Got bumped into a ramp basically completely sideways and flew off the track at an angle that seemed impossible to recover from. I love this stupid game.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm about halfway through S rank, still ain't won a race. Falcon only.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Managed to get 6th in a queen league GP. I think that's the best I've done so far.

Are we ever going to be able to run the knight league GP again?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

99 was undergoing maintenance when I tried to play earlier, so I decided to play the original F-Zero on the Switch Online SNES emulator. I've hardly played this game in my life. We are all toast when they add Mute City III and Fire Field to 99.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I placed 1st for the first time ever tonight but it was a team race so not a real win.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

New tracks coming tomorrow!

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Mute City III is easier than II.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I placed 1st for the first time (outside of team battle) last night. Wild Goose, Mute City II.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Honestly, it's my own fault since I was kinda sandbagging and not really going all out since I knew that I couldn't rank out there. Didn't realize I was going too slow for the jump until I started descending and saw I was going to land short of the track.

But at least it's unlocked for Practice mode, which means I have all the time in the world to get a feel for it before my next attempt at Queen League.

there are decals you unlock by finishing the practice tracks under a certain time limit, and I found that getting all those decals helped me get better at each track

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

game updated

quote:

F-Zero 99 - Ver. 1.1.0 (Released November 28, 2023)

New Additions
Added a new Classic mode. These are 20-player races with the same rules as the Super NES version of F-ZERO. Classic races are one variety of special event and will be held periodically.
Added Lucky Ranks gameplay. Every time you enter a race, your rank and the machine you used will be recorded. After entering five races, you can reveal the Lucky Ranks. If your ranks match any of the ranks on the cards—or your machine matches the machine shown—you can receive in-game rewards.
You can reach the Lucky Ranks screen by pressing the L Stick on the main menu.
You can reveal the Lucky Ranks card once per day.
Added backdrops, badges, and borders that can be used to customize Pilot Cards. After meeting the specified conditions, you will be able to use them for customization.
You can check the specified conditions and perform customization by selecting WORKSHOP on the main menu, and then selecting PILOT CARDS.

Other Adjustments and Changes
Made it easier to return to the main menu after crashing out or getting ranked out during MINI PRIX or GRAND PRIX races. (In Ver. 1.0.2 and earlier there were cases where, depending on the timing, it was not possible to leave the race for a little while).
Adjusted the difficulty for the initial startup training to make it easier. A feature to skip training has also been added, making it possible to enter online races with other players right away.
After the first training race has ended, you can skip all remaining training by pressing the Y Button on the main menu. Additionally, from the second race (F-ZERO 25) onward, an option to skip to the next race will display if you crash out or are ranked out.
You cannot return to a training once you have skipped it.
In F-ZERO 99, players who just started the game or are not yet used to the gameplay will now be matched together.

Other Fixes
Fixed issues to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.

Classic mode is cool. I think the tracks are slightly narrower, or it could be the 4:3 aspect ratio that's making me think that.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Sarah Cenia posted:

lol it's goddamn impossible to even make it to the 5th race of any gp what are y'all talking about

It takes practice but it's definitely doable. Which cars are you using?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Sarah Cenia posted:

I use Wild Goose mostly and I like the Blue Falcon after that.
It's really just that after the third race, I either hesitate and race too conservatively and time out, or I boost too much and then blow up on the final lap. lol.
I made it to the end of the queen cup once.

This is the only game I've played lately where the competition of it is kinda exciting though. it's addictive.

Yep, that's how it was for me at the start too. Either playing it too safe and ranking out on the 3rd/4th race or buckling under pressure and exploding. Takes time to get the balance just right. I've found Golden Fox to be the easiest to learn with since it heals so quickly and you can use more boosts per lap. But I was very stubbornly using Falcon exclusively while learning the game.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The ??? track I got fits that description as well. Anyone seen a different one?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

Have been trying to clear Fire Field under 3'04" to get the backdrop and had gotten down to around 3'05" with Fox and 3'06" with Goose and Stingray.

Finally after a week of trying, I decided on a whim to see what my time would be with Falcon, which I generally don't use, and got 3'02" first try. Huh.

I got all the practice times with the Falcon. I've found I'm really good with that car when I'm not surrounded by 98 other cars.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

shyduck posted:

I finally got some time to play again and caught a ??? track. It was Death Wind I with White Land II elements. It was neat!

I just played that one too! I've decided the track's name is White Death.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Got 2nd in a grand prix today... still grinding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I see they adjusted the balance on each car. I haven't played in a couple weeks. Curious to see how different things feel now.