Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm nowhere near as good at this as I am Tetris 99. But it's fun.

I like Golden Fox's recovery. Makes me feel like I'm invincible as long as I can get to the heal zone. It's a bit slow though. Fire Stingray is clearly the best car, but you've got to be a good driver to just manage the chaos. I like Goose's durability but ultimately you heal so slowly. I'm not so much as a tool to drive Blue Falcon though. It's a good car but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm enjoying played with the SNES controller as intended. The bigger buttons help. Also, it was far easier swapping off with my brother-in-law yesterday because he could co-pilot, let me know when spin was charged, how far I was from Skyway, and how much energy I had cause it's hard to watch otherwise. I've also hit boost more than once thinking I had skyway when my spin recharged which has been catastrophic.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do the SNES controllers have ZL/ZR? If not, how do you spin?

It does.

Finally unlocked silence though getting 3rd place in Death Wind helped immensely. Golden Fox is a really good for the acceleration boost to keep you up front early. Also the recovery makes it a safe bet to survive if you use boost carefully.

Now to groove to that glorious Silence track.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah this game takes serious skill. I don't know if I'll ever be 1st without a fair amount of luck, but I'm certainly not going to practice enough to get there. But surviving to the end of a GP is enough for me. I really need to practice Silence...

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Youremother posted:

This game is astonishingly good, I'm just glad they released any new F-Zero game. How's the meta shaking out for this one, so far? In my experience the tier list is looking like Golden Fox>Wild Goose=Fire Stingray>Blue Falcon. But who knows, I'm only at B-.

Golden Fox has great acceleration that can let you take the lead early on which keeps you out of trouble, if you can keep it. It is a slow car though, so you need to boost constantly to keep it, which puts you at risk of blowing up. Still it has a great recovery so you can easily get the most bang out of that boost.

It's what I drive and I think it's helped my survivability to unlock things as long as I race carefully. I'm not convinced it's the best. Single-player SNES game, Fire Stingray was the best car. But it's only as good as you are a driver. With so many obstacles, it really loses out in efficacy. I think Wild Goose's durability really helps it shine. It may not recover quick, but it's fast and can just punch through people like nothing else.

I've made my opinions on the Blue Falcon known.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's a really good game. I can see getting good with it through determination and regular practice, but I just can't devote that time. I managed to finish 15th in a Queen Cup though, getting the rest of the maps. I like these harder maps, they definitely separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm going to try to play with a bit more regularity instead of only when new stuff comes out.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Manoueverable posted:

I'm 0/5 on finishing Queen League so far. To say I'm frustrated at this is a massive understatement.

E: 0/6, gently caress off red bumpers

I use the Golden Fox specifically to finish races. It's recovery allows you to take some vicious beatings and still be ready for the next lap. The acceleration helps to as you ease up on the gas and can now jump back up pretty safely. I'm not winning races, but I can finish them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Game plays really good with a copilot reading you energy levels, spin bar refill and the like.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Libluini posted:

Aww, that sucks. I guess I have to take GPs and hope Silence I shows up as one of the first three tracks, because that's as far as I've gotten so far.

They're both the last tracks and will always be. You have to make it to the end.

I haven't tried anything but Golden Fox and my strategy isn't to win but just survive. You can get by relying on people to crash and at most boosting at safe moments, but even then just take your lumps, fully heal, and don't get zoned out.

I had to do Queen GP 3 times before I managed it. Kept getting deleted on the 2nd track before I figured out where to boost.

Once you get to them, take last place but just go carefully and finish the track.

I wonder if Goose also wouldn't allow you to take hits and still push through. Not getting last is tricky but not the hardest thing, I find surviving the tracks the real challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

There's no voice chat and the N64/GBA/Genesis games are on a higher tier paywall. But if you just want to play some cool games online it's pretty cheap and you get NES/SNES/GB games. If your daughter is into Animal Crossing or Splatoon it's kind of a no brainer. I played enough Tetris 99, a ton of Mario 35 and now way too much F-Zero 99 that the base price is an after thought.

The regular price is also pretty loving cheap at 20 euro per year which can be gamed with the family plan if you feel so inclined.

erosion posted:

My daughter showed this to me and it looks great, as a huge SNES f-zero fan I'm probably more excited than her tbh, but I'm concerned about Switch Online, something I would never consider otherwise. In what ways can I expect this service to betray me and piss me off?

That said you get what you pay for. It's not a very GOOD service, as in the quality of the connection is pretty mediocre. I generally have 0 problems on the best fiber optic wifi whatever I can get in France, but considering how many players drop out of games of Smash Bros or Splatoon it's telling that it relies a lot on the user to have a good connection.