Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Snake Maze posted:

Some people are just really, really good. I was watching a guy on twitch yesterday who was a WR speedrunner for the SNES version, he already had over 100 1st place finishes (the pilot card stops counting at 99) and would just effortlessly dominate races.

Some people are definitely really good, and a lot more are pretty bad. But it seems to me like there would also be a tendency for race leaders to run away with it, because the further away from the pack you are, the less chip damage you take over the course of each lap, which means more boost potential. I guess you get less skyway and chances for KO's so maybe it kinda balances out, I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this is absolutely accurate. you gotta get out front asap or you will never get there unless you are on a track like silence or port town 2 where most people can't drive at all. if you are not top 10 by the time you get to the actual track on mute city or death wind, you are never ever going to get into the top 10.

I've been playing the stingray since the game dropped, but this is making me reconsider. The slow acceleration curve means you can never really get a good position on the run up to the first lap. Although I think it's still good in practice mode since you can just boost right off the starting line

Does anyone know what that colored bar thing is that appears on the bottom left? Some network connection thing I assume

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Vintersorg posted:

I don't think I'd say never - i've started around 20-30 coming out the start and eventually get in the top 10. Aggressive use of boost, luck collecting sparks to boost ahead and you're there. Take turns tight as a hell and you'll be ahead of the pack.

I agree, although that's another advantage that frontrunners have -- they actually have room to utilize their good driving skills. You may know how to drive the tracks and have good lines and everything, but that doesn't matter when you're making a really nice, clean turn, heading straight towards the apex, and then some random person is just going head on deep into the turn and t-bones you. Getting ping-ponged around makes good driving hard!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Anyone know how you get the bumper points in team battle?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Oh... That's kinda funny, I had a game where the other team got like hundreds of bumper points, and my time had like zero. So we drove better, but they managed to get a bunch of points out of their crashes anyway? I suppose they get less lap completion points though right? I haven't completely figured out the scoring system

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Wildtortilla posted:

How does one use sliding effectively to take turns? I’ve been experimenting sliding with and without accelerating but I can’t tell what’s working and what isn’t. I suppose I should spend some time practicing courses on my own instead of figuring out how stuff works while also being jostled around by other racers.

The game's physics are pretty floaty and drifty, whenever you turn you're going to be drifting towards the outside of the turn. Sliding inwards (in the direction of the turn) just counteracts that. You can also reduce drift by lifting off the throttle while turning, which is necessary in many tight turns. It also depends on the track, since they have different levels of traction, and then within some tracks you've got some specific low traction areas, like the shiny blue surfaces. And of course the grip stat of the machines has a big effect, the stingray drifts much less than the fox, and so it can usually turn much tighter and can stay on the throttle significantly more

Running practice mode a bit really helps you figure this stuff out, and you'll remember how to approach the tricky turns. You'll go zooming past all the people who just go all out into every turn and are constantly drifting into walls

SettingSun posted:

This game needs a 20 lap endurance mode, with the bottom 5 dropping off every lap. It also needs a death race mode, where you race until there's only one left standing, disqualified only by crashouts (with some mechanism that slowly drains your power or similar so you can't go infinite).

Also, how about top speeds get faster and faster every lap :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
That’s precisely how it works, when you’re in front you can see them spawning a short distance ahead. You don’t see as many in the middle or rear because they don’t usually make it back that far, they get blown up before then. It’s kinda like the games’ version of blue shells or lightning bolts, the front runners get hit the hardest