Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This game while not perfect has been a ton of fun and I hope it doesn't get the SMB35 treatment. I've probably put in about 20 hours or so far since release.

So far I have a Knight Class GP overall win and 5 race wins total, although those wins came earlier on and it seems competition is getting better by the day., which is to be expected.

All the wins were using Wild Goose and that's been my main so far. Since it's so sturdy, I like that I can focus on the racing lines more.

I've used Fire Stingray the 2nd most, and while that was my main for the SNES game, I find the slow acceleration too limiting when dealing with these dense packs.

I started using Blue Falcon in the past few days, and seems like I can consistently finish 10-25th in it but no higher. But I like it

Golden Fox I've used... twice? Twice.

So that's my story so far, also if I never drove Mute City 1 again in my lifetime I'd be okay with it

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I love skywaying to 1st and landing directly on a red bumper, it's fun

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Captain Lavender posted:

My only first place was in Team Battle and I didn't get the paint job.
I think you can only unlock the race win paint job in the standard 99 mode. I picked up my first Fire Stingray win in a GP and also got nothing for it.

edit: not sure about the pro races though

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 24, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Missed winning a GP by 2 points :negative:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

won my first gp despite a best finish of only 3rd and having a real awful race at death wind where i finished 13th (i am a goose driver and goose is just so much worse at death wind than fox or stingray)
The Death Wind GP race imo is the toughest by far because half the field gets knocked out and everybody's basically on the same exact strategy. If you're in the back half of the field coming to the start, it can get awfully hard to claw out of it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just did a GP where the same person driving Golden Fox won all 5 races and It feels suspect

There were a couple of races where they just sailed away from the start and nobody could catch them

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 24, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

Man, i've been watching a lot of my usual streamer crowd play this game pretty well, then I came across this person who is like Rank S19 and wins almost every single race dominantly. It's like watching a bot play.

https://twitch.tv/xlunaiiire
That's literally the person I was talking about above who swept an entire GP. I could only watch from a distance and that was insane enough

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

Edit: lol, they won a gp with a 10 second finish over 2nd on Silence. I'm not convinced this a person playing
Yeah I just saw that too, there was a bigger gap between 1st-2nd than 2nd-last car running

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The only other car I've had any consistent success with outside of Wild Goose is Blue Falcon. I know it's considered to generally be the weakest car because it doesn't really have a specific strong suit or two but I seem to get along with it pretty well in this format. I've racked up a few wins with it and a 2nd in the Knight GP.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm looking forward to the pain of Death Wind II

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Tracks are live

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Don't forget its 3 tickets per GP so casual players might not be picking them back up as quickly

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Minor gripe but the KO system seems a bit finicky. I'm not sure how it truly works

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

It does seem like killing grey bumpers doesn't always get you credit for a KO. I'm also unsure if knocking someone into the side gives you a KO or not, doesn't seem like it always does.
Yeah this is my issue too, not what KOs are but the actual mechanics, I should've been clearer in my earlier post. Seems to happen with gray bumpers where I'm fairly confident I killed it but it's not counted.

Truxton posted:

Killing bumpers gets you the energy extension but not the full restore, just a small restore. I have seen people who've made Grand Prix winning strategies of focusing on killing bumpers in the first couple races, then using the extended gauge to dominate the rest of the Prix.
I've started to play around with this myself. Seems viable but my skills need to catch up

shyduck fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 1, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bleck posted:

There was no touching him. He was simply Gone, every time...
I honestly don't get how this person isn't just bored to death by now

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Also it's important to remember the closer you are to 1st, the less length your skyway time is. There are skyway sections that will carry you through even after your skyway meter is empty, like when they're over a trackless section, but you have to be on it just long enough. After a while, you get a feel for when you can safely activate the skyway relative to your position and get the most out of it. It sucks to fall short of one of those sections, because those are money

shyduck fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 2, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Does anyone else just find themselves suddenly terrible at this

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm definitely being overdramatic, but I think I've stalled out at the moment in terms of rank. I've also been using all the cars now and my DNFs have been piling up, which definitely doesn't help rank. I think I subconsciously default to driving everything like Wild Goose during races and that's just a big nope

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 4, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

EightFlyingCars posted:

it does kinda feel like a lot of the less serious players are getting filtered out before our eyes
Absolutely. I'm curious how things will look once all the standard tracks have been out for a little while and everyone gets it through their system. I'm not wholly convinced they're gonna bring in the Satellaview or GBA tracks. Maybe they need to sprinkle in rank-based mini GPs or something of the sort. There's gotta be some incentive to keep casuals playing, or really anybody that doesn't have a ton of time to dedicate to this

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

this game needs a dad division

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The last few nights have really felt as if interest is continually dwindling. I usually play on and off between 6-9 ET and lately there's been a struggle to fill lobbies, with a few under 50%

shyduck fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 13, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've become an expert at finishing either top 3 or 38th on Mute City I. There's no middle ground and it doesn't matter which car

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's every 2 hours on weekdays, so unless they adjust the schedule we'll have to wait 6 hours between specific GPs. Not great!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Classic Fire Stingray Mode is impossible. Granted I haven't played all that much in the last several weeks but I either rank out or barely finish

shyduck fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 9, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hopefully it rotates in often enough that I can try it out

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Ohhhh I thought it was a GP only, good to know. I haven't played since the addition but I'll try it out tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I finally got some time to play again and caught a ??? track. It was Death Wind I with White Land II elements. It was neat!