Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

:siren: new zealand has an election on 14 october :siren:

the labour party won a historic majority in 2020 but everyone hates them now. chris hipkins (left) became prime minister after his friend jacinda ardern (right) quit in january. labour is running a small target electoral strategy that doesn't seem to be working so far.

the guy in the hat is probably going to win. his name is christopher luxon and he is a successful business man. the national party is also running a small target electoral strategy, but theirs is working.

the national party is going to enter a coalition with david seymour (he is the guy sitting to luxon's right, above) from the act party. these guys are big-time libertarian freaks they love guns and race baiting and hate woke. act has been polling well because the media finds seymour entertaining, but they've started getting a little bit of scrutiny after 5 of their candidates got exposed as antivaxxers.

i'm going to vote for the greens, who would be looking to form a coalition with the labour party. they're a left-environmentalist party led by james shaw and marama davidson and they currently have a couple of communist mps (pretty cool !). the greens are polling pretty well because they've picked up support from disaffected labour voters they're also running serious campaigns in a few electorates.

te pāti māori is led by rawiri waititi and debbie ngarewa-packer. they're an indigenous rights party that reinvented themselves as left-wing after losing support by supporting the previous national party government. labour would probably need their support to form a government.

winston peters leads the nationalist nz first party. he's been in politics since the 70s, was jacinda ardern's deputy prime minister, and has now reinvented himself a champion for covid conspiracists. nz first got voted out in 2020 but they might make it back. peters and seymour hate each other, but it's possible that luxon would need support from both to form a government. drama!

the big political issues atm are inflation and crime. polling currently looks like this:

bike tory posted:

exmarx please add this important bit of information to the OP:

exmarx has issued a correction as of 06:26 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Thanks I hate it. Also you forgot the freedoms party

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Winnie wins in a landslide and betting on the horse racing becomes mandatory

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
who's going to fix the ram raids

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Way to show your privilege

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

redleader posted:

who's going to fix the ram raids

They don't need fixing as they're quite effective

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
which ones are the ones most likely to go full five eyes and start barking at china like the australians did

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
I would vote for transformational environmental and economical change that will benefit generations to come but my feelings got hurt as a white cis male so I'm voting ACT and buying rental properties.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that's quite the labour collapse from 2020

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

i say swears online posted:

lol that's quite the labour collapse from 2020

Their support last time was the anomaly because last election was basically a single issue vote and Labour had lead a successful covid elimination response while the rest of the world went to poo poo.

They had been polling consistently in the mid 30s for about 18 months, but in the lead up to the election they had three high profile ministers resign over scandals. The last of these was the justice minister who was drunk, crashed her car and ran away from police. Not a good look in an election when law and order is the #2 issue and also the issue on which your opposition are landing all their punches.

mila kunis posted:

which ones are the ones most likely to go full five eyes and start barking at china like the australians did

Very much the National/ACT coalition, but it's not guaranteed. ACT are big NATO freaks and they will probably push for us to join AUKUS. National will be more eager to continue the IR settings of the current government, which is to avoid taking sides or pissing anyone off as much as possible, while also resisting any changes to the current rules-based order. Also to aggressively pursue new trade agreements with everyone, since we have a completely open economy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

No more woke

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bike tory posted:

the justice minister who was drunk, crashed her car and ran away from police.

i think this would play differently in australia

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

a lot of the people I know are all-in for a justice minister who says gently caress the police

doubt it though, Aussies love the cops as much as kiwis do. Most of the bullshit hardline policy that National and ACT are proposing is imported from Australia

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i'm voting for chris wilson, the inventor of path of exile

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

did ardern fully peace out like her finnish counterpart or is she still involved?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
christopher....

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

wasent ardern really popular why did she end up resigning

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

she got too tired

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

she got too tired

that honestly sounds true interesting

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

the minister was a māori woman and also gay

R. Mute posted:

did ardern fully peace out like her finnish counterpart or is she still involved?

yeah she's fully out

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the first leaders' debate is on tuesday. chris and christopher are both downplaying their chances for example, luxon recently claimed that he's never debated before :)

https://votecompass.tvnz.co.nz/nz2023/survey
check out this quiz if you want to know what party you align with. here's mine

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

HallelujahLee posted:

Her political "agenda" was basically be nice and try to please everyone. She immediately had a daughter 9 months into her term. She spent the rest of it dealing with the Christchurch mosque massacre and then the covid response. The response from conservatives to a pleasant lady not changing anything much while putting out fires was to scream that she was a divisive nazi communist bitch. She decided she was tired and would rather spend time with her daughter so resigned early to give Hipkins a run in to the election, which he's predictably squandered by promising not to do anything.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i aint voting for any of these losers and if people whine at me to vote then im voting for national

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

CODChimera posted:

i aint voting for any of these losers and if people whine at me to vote then im voting for national

You're really not going to vote in this, the most important election yet?!

Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party are going to be on the ballot as usual, if you don't at the very least vote for them I can only conclude that you are a narc and/or cop.

E: help who do I vote for

voiceless anal fricative has issued a correction as of 07:13 on Sep 17, 2023

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

mila kunis posted:

all of them

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

CODChimera posted:

top voter spotted

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

bike tory posted:

You're really not going to vote in this, the most important election yet?!

Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party are going to be on the ballot as usual, if you don't at the very least vote for them I can only conclude that you are a narc and/or cop.

im a drug dealer

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Bring back the McGillicuddy Serious Party.

Some of their policies are still relevant in today's world:

- Standing a dog for parliament in the Hobson seat in Northland. Her policies included the abolition of cars.

- Build giant space-mirrors to melt the polar icecaps and destroy all of the foolish greed-worshipping cities of man in one stroke, thereby returning man to the sea

- The demolition of the Auckland CBD to create a giant sundial, using the Sky Tower as the gnomon

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

exmarx posted:

check out this quiz if you want to know what party you align with. here's mine

Yo

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
RE: Political compass

I hate the framing of this question "The government should put more emphasis on adapting to climate change rather than trying to prevent it." as the real answer is both, we need to do more to prevent it but also invest in mitigations for what's already coming.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

kaiwero posted:

RE: Political compass

I hate the framing of this question "The government should put more emphasis on adapting to climate change rather than trying to prevent it." as the real answer is both, we need to do more to prevent it but also invest in mitigations for what's already coming.

Well yeah, I guess the way I decided to read it is "should we try to stop destroying the planet or should we just insulate ourselves from the effects of it and keep going hog-wild". Obviously there are lots of different ways you can read it and as you say in reality we need to be doing both because it's too late to stop now anyway.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i thought we fixed the climate already

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

how bad's the transphobia so far? can't be an election campaign in a former British colony in TYOOL 2023 without transphobic rhetoric lmao

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Venomous posted:

how bad's the transphobia so far? can't be an election campaign in a former British colony in TYOOL 2023 without transphobic rhetoric lmao

I haven't been going out of my way to look for it and so far the only openly transphobic stuff I've heard on the TV news was from NZ First who I guess has decided to mash the culture war button as hard as possible to try to remain relevant. I don't think ACT in terms of party policy really give a poo poo and Luxon seems to be trying to appear as a calm and sensible head so also probably wants to avoid grabbing any live wires until after the election.

Edit: Also, IMO Hipkins really poo poo the bed deciding to play it 'safe' by effectively announcing they weren't going to make any substantial changes to anything prior to the election. I can only assume it's the same thing that other centre-left parties around the world are trying to to, appeal to as many voters as possible by having no principals, to the detriment of their base.

Blackhawk has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Sep 17, 2023

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it's not a big electoral issue but:

the greens, te pāti māori and labour have all been vocally pro-trans

national has said the country has bigger issues than bathrooms, but the christian conservative 'taliban' wing of the party would want to make things worse

act has talked about banning trans people from women's changing rooms

nz first is campaigning strongly on bathroom sicko stuff

all the fringe conspiracy parties are vocal about gender i haven't looked into them but i'm assuming the new 'women's party' is anti-trans as a single issue

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Venomous posted:

We've had one minor party to all-in on the terf bathroom poo poo. They're prooooobably going to get back into parliament.

For the major parties it's lurking just below the surface. National have been cagey around poo poo like sex education in school, the deputy leader recently said she thought it was parents' responsibility not schools. Chris Luxon has been asked several times about women in sport and given pretty poo poo answers, and said he defines women by their biology. More recently he's been taking the line that "these issues aren't important to the majority of voters", which neatly avoids taking a personal stance. But he also still says that anti trans people should be allowed to speak in public because of freeze peach.

MPs across the spectrum get asked regularly to define "woman", because our prime minister got caught off guard in an interview with a alt media grifter, and stumbled over his answer for like 30 seconds before finally getting around to saying it was a matter of self identification. Even clips of backbench MPs answering the question well get like a million views on tiktok.

So yeah, it's bad but this election isn't a full blown culture war over trans rights or anything.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

huh, okay

anyway, you're probably hosed whatever happens lmao. iirc Labour did all the atrocious neoliberal poo poo in the 80s around the same time as Thatcher and Reagan, and National accelerated it in the 90s, leaving NZ with incredibly high wealth inequality and child poverty, an increasingly hosed working class, capitalists fellating it for being so friendly to business, that sort of poo poo

I guess the best you can hope for now is that NZ First doesn't actually win any seats lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Her political "agenda" was basically be nice and try to please everyone. She immediately had a daughter 9 months into her term. She spent the rest of it dealing with the Christchurch mosque massacre and then the covid response. The response from conservatives to a pleasant lady not changing anything much while putting out fires was to scream that she was a divisive nazi communist bitch. She decided she was tired and would rather spend time with her daughter so resigned early to give Hipkins a run in to the election, which he's predictably squandered by promising not to do anything.

yeah that sounds like a typical "center-left "party alright