Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
our next finance minister (sound on)

https://i.imgur.com/n1fHyHm.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Venomous posted:

huh, okay

anyway, you're probably hosed whatever happens lmao. iirc Labour did all the atrocious neoliberal poo poo in the 80s around the same time as Thatcher and Reagan, and National accelerated it in the 90s, leaving NZ with incredibly high wealth inequality and child poverty, an increasingly hosed working class, capitalists fellating it for being so friendly to business, that sort of poo poo

I guess the best you can hope for now is that NZ First doesn't actually win any seats lmao

the best you can hope for is a hypercane to wipe us off the planet

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I mean, yes, but you could say that about most any anglosphere country,

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
half an hour to go until "the big debate"

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/09/19/what-to-know-about-tonights-tvnz-leaders-debate/

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

drat I missed it what a shame :(

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
luxon's big strategy was to make his voice deeper... crazy stuff

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWK7xDxDJ8Y

this video is the first in a series on leaders in the main parties' youth wings, and it's unintentionally "the thick of it" as hell

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

National has apparently unveiled a 100-point plan to "get the country back on track" but I can't find it anywhere. Very much want to read this plan.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://assets.nationbuilder.com/nationalparty/pages/18407/attachments/original/1695337176/Rebuilding_the_economy.pdf?1695337176

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

cool ty. it is as I suspected, a list of random piecemeal poo poo that includes a bunch of contradictions, a bunch of ineffective stuff, a bunch of vibes and wishes, and then a handful of hugely impactful regressive changes

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

exmarx posted:

our next finance minister (sound on)

https://i.imgur.com/n1fHyHm.mp4

lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
36. End Labour’s war on farmers, with 19 actions to cut red tape and supercharge the rural economy, including replacing one-size-fits-all rules with local decision making.

i think this one is just a heading for some of the other actions

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

what are the chances that chippy sees the writing on the wall and throws in Robbo's wealth tax at the last minute y'all

what have they got to lose at this point, honestly

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

bike tory posted:

what are the chances that chippy sees the writing on the wall and throws in Robbo's wealth tax at the last minute y'all

what have they got to lose at this point, honestly

zero

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Non-existent. He said he wouldn't do it "end of story". If he goes back on that now then all he does is set himself up for a political lifetime of the Nats using it as evidence that nothing he says means anything, spoiling Labour's core demographic of National voters who protest vote Labour.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

quote:

Labour's immigration spokesperson Andrew Little also announced a one-off regularisation programme for overstayers who have been in New Zealand for 10 years or more.

It said this is to honour the historic Dawn Raids apology to Pacific people by backing it up with action.

However, the programme would not be limited to any particular group, meaning people from all migrant communities will be able to apply to regularise their visa status.

"These people are part of New Zealand. In some cases they have been here for decades. They have family here, jobs and church," he said.

"It's only fair that children born in this country aren't held back from making the most of their own lives, because of their parents' irregular visa status. That is why regularisation will not be limited to any particular group, meaning people from all migrant communities will be able to apply.

really good, should have done it in government

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

mila kunis posted:

which ones are the ones most likely to go full five eyes and start barking at china like the australians did

All of them

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

the warriors lost, which means the government's last hope of winning the election is gone

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

bike tory posted:

Very much the National/ACT coalition, but it's not guaranteed. ACT are big NATO freaks and they will probably push for us to join AUKUS. National will be more eager to continue the IR settings of the current government, which is to avoid taking sides or pissing anyone off as much as possible, while also resisting any changes to the current rules-based order. Also to aggressively pursue new trade agreements with everyone, since we have a completely open economy.

Isn't China one of NZ's biggest trading partners? What's the plan for NZ if they start antagonizing China?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Isn't China one of NZ's biggest trading partners? What's the plan for NZ if they start antagonizing China?

no plan B, which is why the major parties are, if not pro-china, aggressively against rocking the boat. iunno if ACT could make antagonizing china a coalition demand

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The general line that NZ takes when China or the US or anyone else starts leaning too heavily on us is that we're an independent foreign power. There's enough precedent for that now that it works pretty well when we're saying no to something. Unclear how well it'd work if we were saying yes to something instead, like joining AUKUS.

At the moment the top public servants in foreign affairs are all hawkish pro-US types, so it's quite reliant on having either a foreign minister or prime minister who isn't ignorant on foreign affairs stuff and allows the public servants to set the agenda. We currently have a decent foreign minister (on 9/11 she tweeted about the 50th anniversary of the Chilean coup rather than the WTC lol), and if the government changes I'm fairly confident they'll put someone called Judith Collins in the role who is a loving horrible person but I actually trust to strike a good balance between the US and China too, and not let herself be pushed around by public servants.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

exmarx posted:

really good, should have done it in government

Classic move of shithead lib politicians is to do nothing when in power and then suggest all of these good things they could do if only they got elected just one more time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bike tory posted:

I'm fairly confident they'll put someone called Judith Collins in the role who is a loving horrible person but I actually trust to strike a good balance between the US and China too, and not let herself be pushed around by public servants.
Collins would be good for that role because she has financial interests in China and can be relied on to look after her bottom line

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
there's definitely been a turn against china over the past few years, including by starting to name them in key foreign affairs/defence/national security policy documents. our focus has generally been soft power stuff in the pacific (where we play a neocolonial role) rather than direct confrontation.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
there is a "youth debate" happening in 45 mins

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/09/25/tonights-tvnz-young-voters-debate-what-you-need-to-know/

the candidates are:

labour – arena williams (33)
national – erica stanford (45)
act – brooke van velden (30)
greens – chlộe swarbrick (29)
te pāti māori – hana-rawhiti maipi-clarke (20)
nz first – lee donoghue (39)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
🩷🖤🩷🖤🩷🖤🩷🖤

🩷🖤🩷🖤🩷🖤🩷🖤

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
God I wish Winston Peters wasn't a loving shithead because he is very funny

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

aside from BVV saying it's hard to get head, were there any parts of the debate worth watching? I couldn't stomach more than a few minutes of it, listening to Brooke and Erica Stanford spout their ghoul poo poo is unbearable

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
repostin

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

:hurr:

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

No love ITT for TOP and its Georgist land tax?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
no

https://i.imgur.com/RlxMSNA.mp4

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i'm surprised it's not much higher. like that's almost half of national voters that are just like "gently caress yeah i'm voting to drive the country further into debt"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
new poll...

and another chris vs chris showdown in half an hour. will paddy gower speak more than either candidate? i can't wait to find out!

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/poli...rick-gower.html

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

will paddy gower speak more than either candidate? i can't wait to find out!

he did lol

quote:

Or perhaps it was the moderator, Newshub's Paddy Gower, who got more words in than either of the leaders who were there to debate.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
red chris has covid

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Why couldn't it have been David Seymour and also he died from it and also Sean Padraic Colgan and luxon why not

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

dont know about the other ones, but hat guy is not the right personality for running a country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Goon Boots posted:

dont know about the other ones, but hat guy is not the right personality for running a country

Just in case you have the goon face blindness, those are not the same person. Hat guy (top) is a oval office, hat guy (bottom) owns.