Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Weka posted:

Oh dang that is a ridiculous amount of portfolios. Like I said I would be happy if it was mentioned rather than say attacking strangely only Iran and Afghanistan under the Taliban's womens rights. There's like 50 countries with worse gender equality than Iran! It's pretty obviously just reheated American propaganda.

why do you think golriz talks about iran a lot

BuckyDoneGun posted:

A journalist, trailing the prime minister on the campaign trail, a week out from an election? Huge if true.

i just thought his expression was funny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

exmarx posted:

these are golriz's portfolios, do you really think she could be across everything happening in all of them

the budget is an all-or-nothing deal. do you think voting against it because it included budget for nzdf (which could also be appropriated by cabinet outside the budget process) would have been worth (a) not having any effect on the result, and (b) losing all the influence they have within government

:sam:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Weka posted:

It's her job to know this. If the Green's defense spokesperson doesn't even know where our troops are deployed they are worse than useless and not likely to get better. Do you think she also didn't know about NZDF deployments to Afghanistan when she voted for the budget to support them?

None of them have and "this one thing" as you call it is significantly contributing to hundreds of thousands of people starving to death.
I have been clear that every party in the NZ parliament is awful in this specific way, supporting of mass murder by America's coalition of Hitlerites. Doing this means the greens are not left wing by any metric. Vote for whichever neoliberal you like, but you should know that's what they are.

does it ever get exhausting searching for new things to be angry about every day

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

socdems do not deserve the benefit of the doubt

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Oh poo poo I didn't realise that because no party has perfect ideological purity they're all actually exactly equivalent and voting for any of them is whole-heartedly endorsing genocide. I guess I'll just sit on my hands during the election then, because slightly lower voter turnout among the left wing specifically is definitely going to teach those politicians a lesson.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Weka posted:

By this metric Ernst Rohm was left wing. However I think it's possible to have a party in this country that is opposed to America's wars.

Oh dang that is a ridiculous amount of portfolios. Like I said I would be happy if it was mentioned rather than say attacking strangely only Iran and Afghanistan under the Taliban's womens rights. There's like 50 countries with worse gender equality than Iran! It's pretty obviously just reheated American propaganda.

lol at going straight to the nazi party to try and make a point, but yeah I guess it does kind of illustrate the issue with the labels of left and right as you're using them.

The way you're defining left and right don't make any sense in a NZ context, just as they don't in a Nazi Germany context. A party that's genuinely left wing, like in the global and historical context that it seems like you're using, wouldn't make it into parliament in NZ. So why would people who hold uncompromisingly to those beliefs waste time trying to form a party and get votes at all, over more direct action, activism, community building, etc? Like I say this as someone who is a member of an organisation like that, with enough members to form a political party. It would be a huge waste of our capacity and resources to do so because we aren't willing to compromise on our kaupapa.

That said, yes, I agree a party that opposes America's wars is genuinely possible and I think the Greens have been pretty consistent in doing so. Teanau Tuiono has done a lot of work against the militarisation of space via our burgeoning space industry, for example. Golriz regularly speaks out in parliament against American wars, attends and speaks at rallies against American wars, and engages with community groups like peace action and Palestine Solidarity Network Aotearoa and poo poo. She talks about Iran a lot because she's an Iranian refugee. Exmarx has already linked you the Greens' global affairs and trade policies which are mostly about demilitarisation and specifically mention rejecting AUKUS.

Weka posted:

Tell the greens you won't vote for them until they change.

You haven't even established what their stance is on the specific military action you have a problem with, and when I suggested you engage with the party you said it wasn't your job to do so. At least be consistent!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I'm assuming that both Labour and National have been clamouring over each other to seem more pro-Israel today

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Hold up, I'm just hearing that none of the parties standing for election in NZ are going to do anywhere near enough about climate change, greens included, gee I guess anybody who cares about climate change at all should simply not vote to teach these parties a lesson.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Venomous posted:

I'm assuming that both Labour and National have been clamouring over each other to seem more pro-Israel today

national and act have always been vocally pro-israel while labour sticks to the un line. the greens co-leader was arrested off the coast of gaza in 2016.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

holy poo poo "There is no justification for these attacks"?? gently caress, Luxo is going to ruin what's left of our international reputation.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it's not meaningfully different from the last national govt's stance

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/330048/brownlee-nz-should-not-intervene-on-israel-palestine-conflict

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

bike tory posted:

holy poo poo "There is no justification for these attacks"?? gently caress, Luxo is going to ruin what's left of our international reputation.

Yeah lmao NZ has been doing better than most in splitting the hair down the middle on a lot of issues (this is obviously not a good or ethical thing to do) but seems like we're about to firmly jump into line behind the US one and for all.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

exmarx posted:

labour sticks to the un line.

tbh even though this is centrist bullshit it is still far closer to a principled position than the UK Labour stance, so okay then

nevertheless, it's still centrist bullshit, so gently caress Labour here

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Still it's not an "outbreak of conflict", an escalation of engaging in the ongoing conflict is more appropriate

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/falling-apart-labour-hits-out-nationals-second-election-fears

going to be so funny when winston refuses to let chris bishop be in the nats' negotiating team post election

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I was surprised to see them talking about that. Sending the message "voting for us might not change the government" when their primary vote getter is that lots of people want to change the government seems pretty dumb.

In other news, early voting numbers are way down on 2020. Nobody had anything better to do back then I guess.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

if only we could vote our way out of this whole mess

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

bike tory posted:

lol at going straight to the nazi party to try and make a point, but yeah I guess it does kind of illustrate the issue with the labels of left and right as you're using them.

The way you're defining left and right don't make any sense in a NZ context, just as they don't in a Nazi Germany context. A party that's genuinely left wing, like in the global and historical context that it seems like you're using, wouldn't make it into parliament in NZ. So why would people who hold uncompromisingly to those beliefs waste time trying to form a party and get votes at all, over more direct action, activism, community building, etc? Like I say this as someone who is a member of an organisation like that, with enough members to form a political party. It would be a huge waste of our capacity and resources to do so because we aren't willing to compromise on our kaupapa.

That said, yes, I agree a party that opposes America's wars is genuinely possible and I think the Greens have been pretty consistent in doing so. Teanau Tuiono has done a lot of work against the militarisation of space via our burgeoning space industry, for example. Golriz regularly speaks out in parliament against American wars, attends and speaks at rallies against American wars, and engages with community groups like peace action and Palestine Solidarity Network Aotearoa and poo poo. She talks about Iran a lot because she's an Iranian refugee. Exmarx has already linked you the Greens' global affairs and trade policies which are mostly about demilitarisation and specifically mention rejecting AUKUS.

You haven't even established what their stance is on the specific military action you have a problem with, and when I suggested you engage with the party you said it wasn't your job to do so. At least be consistent!

Afaik Hone Harawira was genuinely left, atleast as far as opposing yankee imperialism, so I think you are wrong that there's no electoral path.
I think I have established that the greens don't really have a public stance on the CMF and I don't think having a private stance that is bottom of their priority list makes a difference.

If Ghahraman talks about Iran simply because she is from there, why is she also focused on women's rights in Afghanistan only after the Taliban came back to power? Womens rights sucked there under the occupation too. The quisling government there under Karzai passed a law saying you could starve your missus if she wouldn't root you for instance. Instead we have crap like this in parliament, just naked targeting of America's enemies whilst ignoring the 50 countries who according to the UN have worse women's rights than Iran.

https://twitter.com/golrizghahraman/status/1694232606035096018?t=Fjg8gQAaTXRvx25wKtY2pQ&s=19

I'm not sure somebody who bemoans the toppling of the Shah and says her heart is broken by Hamas' recent actions is really the anti imperialist crusader you think. I guess those Palestinians should have had a peaceful protest.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

What if I just don't care?

If you don't care about hundreds of thousands of people being starved to death then gently caress you, you are a huge piece of poo poo I guess.

Progressive JPEG posted:

does it ever get exhausting searching for new things to be angry about every day

I'm angry about the same thing every day. It's incredibly easy to find new facets of it though, so not really exhausting. Heck tools of yankee imperialism like Ghahraman just post that poo poo out!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Weka posted:

If you don't care about hundreds of thousands of people being starved to death then gently caress you, you are a huge piece of poo poo I guess.

It's not that I don't care, just, on the list of things at stake in this election, I've got many vastly higher priorities, in particular, things we can actually change.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sorry this one minority woman doesn't approach the large complex international issues of our modern world within the constraints of the neoliberal government apparatus and her personal material circumstances in a way that politically satisfies you.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So are we protest voting for TOP or for Legalise Weed Party

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Weka posted:

Afaik Hone Harawira was genuinely left, atleast as far as opposing yankee imperialism, so I think you are wrong that there's no electoral path.
I think I have established that the greens don't really have a public stance on the CMF and I don't think having a private stance that is bottom of their priority list makes a difference.

If Ghahraman talks about Iran simply because she is from there, why is she also focused on women's rights in Afghanistan only after the Taliban came back to power? Womens rights sucked there under the occupation too. The quisling government there under Karzai passed a law saying you could starve your missus if she wouldn't root you for instance. Instead we have crap like this in parliament, just naked targeting of America's enemies whilst ignoring the 50 countries who according to the UN have worse women's rights than Iran.

https://twitter.com/golrizghahraman/status/1694232606035096018?t=Fjg8gQAaTXRvx25wKtY2pQ&s=19

I'm not sure somebody who bemoans the toppling of the Shah and says her heart is broken by Hamas' recent actions is really the anti imperialist crusader you think. I guess those Palestinians should have had a peaceful protest.

I'm angry about the same thing every day. It's incredibly easy to find new facets of it though, so not really exhausting. Heck tools of yankee imperialism like Ghahraman just post that poo poo out!

For the record I don't think Golriz is a particularly effective or strong advocate for many of the causes that she champions, and I wouldn't describe her as an anti-imperialist crusader. She has a very Al-Jazeera world view on American wars. You're also probably half right about Afghanistan, she's only objecting to women's rights violations there only after the regime change because it's been in the media, which in turn has an almost entirely US-centric world view. But you're suggesting she's a Nazi and an American puppet when, at worst, she's simply not as well-informed as you'd like on the issues that matter to you. Her values are consistently in the right place.

Again, expecting or demanding ideological purity from a broadly social democratic political party in a country like NZ is just pointless. The entire parliament is illegitimate, and the country is built on imperialist land theft that we still aren't capable of reckoning with. What do you really think is capable through parliamentary democracy in a context like this?

I spend a couple of months every three years campaigning for the Greens because IMO they're about as good as we're going to get in parliament, and they help to shift public opinion in a positive direction. But otherwise I focus my energy on actual activist pursuits. I'd strongly recommend you do the same rather than frothing about how our handful of left-leaning politicians are Nazis or American imperialist scum. Especially when like half of the next parliament will be openly and unapologetically so.

It's also very funny that you raise Hone Harawira as an example, because he compromised on almost all of his values to side with a German libertarian and it cost him his political career. He's been a much more effective advocate for various good causes since he left parliament.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I for one will be voting for the greens, I do like the SS and the greens will deliver an SS that cares about the environmental impact of their methods of genocide

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

bike tory posted:

For the record I don't think Golriz is a particularly effective or strong advocate for many of the causes that she champions, and I wouldn't describe her as an anti-imperialist crusader. She has a very Al-Jazeera world view on American wars. You're also probably half right about Afghanistan, she's only objecting to women's rights violations there only after the regime change because it's been in the media, which in turn has an almost entirely US-centric world view. But you're suggesting she's a Nazi and an American puppet when, at worst, she's simply not as well-informed as you'd like on the issues that matter to you. Her values are consistently in the right place.

Again, expecting or demanding ideological purity from a broadly social democratic political party in a country like NZ is just pointless. The entire parliament is illegitimate, and the country is built on imperialist land theft that we still aren't capable of reckoning with. What do you really think is capable through parliamentary democracy in a context like this?

I spend a couple of months every three years campaigning for the Greens because IMO they're about as good as we're going to get in parliament, and they help to shift public opinion in a positive direction. But otherwise I focus my energy on actual activist pursuits. I'd strongly recommend you do the same rather than frothing about how our handful of left-leaning politicians are Nazis or American imperialist scum. Especially when like half of the next parliament will be openly and unapologetically so.

It's also very funny that you raise Hone Harawira as an example, because he compromised on almost all of his values to side with a German libertarian and it cost him his political career. He's been a much more effective advocate for various good causes since he left parliament.

I do not think calling for increased sanctions indicates values being in the right place. I'm not suggesting she knows she is an American tool, but that doesn't really help. Her and the rest of the greens function is to set the limits of discourse. That's why I like to froth about it. If the putative far left supports all these actions against America's enemies, then they're more likely to be seen as good and just by left leaning types.

I don't ask for ideological purity, to me it seems obvious that the Taliban has had a more positive impact on the world than the nz greens, and I don't share much in the way of ideology with them.

Harawira tanking his electoral career by compromising his values seems to support my position that there is a space in parliament for meaningfully left politicians.

To make another nazi era comparison, you would hardly say Horthy's Hungary was good just because of it's industrialization and land reform policies even though they probably made a more meaningful difference to the lives of the working poor than anything proposed by the greens would. It's the meaningful support of great evil that sort of makes all that moot.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what's ur favourite dinosaur

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Ankylosaurus tied with Allosaurus

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Solus posted:

- me age seven after reading a picture book but not wanting to name the popular ones. allosaurs have an extra finger!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Weka posted:

I do not think calling for increased sanctions indicates values being in the right place. I'm not suggesting she knows she is an American tool, but that doesn't really help. Her and the rest of the greens function is to set the limits of discourse. That's why I like to froth about it. If the putative far left supports all these actions against America's enemies, then they're more likely to be seen as good and just by left leaning types.

I don't ask for ideological purity, to me it seems obvious that the Taliban has had a more positive impact on the world than the nz greens, and I don't share much in the way of ideology with them.

Harawira tanking his electoral career by compromising his values seems to support my position that there is a space in parliament for meaningfully left politicians.

To make another nazi era comparison, you would hardly say Horthy's Hungary was good just because of it's industrialization and land reform policies even though they probably made a more meaningful difference to the lives of the working poor than anything proposed by the greens would. It's the meaningful support of great evil that sort of makes all that moot.

shut da gently caress up

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
pachycephalosaurus

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the the press debate is on tonight... 4 minor parties, big live audience, in one of the worse islands

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Weka posted:

Nice post, did you get it at the dipshit posts factory

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

exmarx posted:

in one of the worse islands

heh

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Solus posted:

exmarx posted:

pachycephalosaurus
very good choices, i would vote for both of you

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Guardian poll for October:

National 34 (-0.5)
Labour 30.3 (+3.4)
Greens 10.6 (-0.4)
NZF 8.2 (+2.2)
ACT 7.9 (-2.4)
TPM 1.9 (-0.6)

Labour/Greens/TPM: 55 seats
Nat/ACT: 54 seats | NZF: 11 seats

It still wouldn't be a good outcome, but I want to believe

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Well I for one welcome God emperor Winston

klen dool
May 7, 2007

It sucks hoping for the least bad option to happen. Any coalition where labour is the biggest player is merely disappointing, but at least it's not horrifying.

Even like if the greens got into govt alone that would still be disappointing, just vastly less so, and in a different way.

I saw a Facebook live with Ardern this morning and wow do I miss her style of talking and polititioning. I didn't like all her policies, but I did like the policy where she didn't stand in Bloomfield's way as he correctly and competently dealt with covid

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

What's the view on electoral votes, should I strategic vote Labour if I'm in an electorate where the green candidate is never gonna win (i.e. not auckland central)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I advocate voting Green except where it's necessary to defeat National.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Yeah I'm party voting green and member voting labour in remutaka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

Ghostlight posted:

what's ur favourite dinosaur

Weka, obviously.

exmarx posted:

shut da gently caress up

No you.