Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
The polls have been really loving close this whole time, even the left is infected with "it's nationals turn at the wheel" disease.

Do the polls always poll the same set of people? If not, then I don't think any poll can describe a surge or decline over time, I don't know if it's reasonable to say things like "over the last week X has more support" it's just the cohort they happened to get this time supported X more - for small differences anyway.

I guess a large change could be a sign of change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

klen dool posted:

The polls have been really loving close this whole time, even the left is infected with "it's nationals turn at the wheel" disease.

Do the polls always poll the same set of people? If not, then I don't think any poll can describe a surge or decline over time, I don't know if it's reasonable to say things like "over the last week X has more support" it's just the cohort they happened to get this time supported X more - for small differences anyway.

I guess a large change could be a sign of change

I mean isn't the whole point of statistics to try to ensure that the population sample you take is representative of the population as a whole within some margins of error? Not that I'm saying I believe political polls, but more because there's incentive to fudge them by people with power and money, and less because it's impossible to determine average results from a representative sample.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah they do random sampling and then correct for oversampling, like if they ended up with 55% of respondents in their sample being men they adjust the results accordingly based on their previous data around election results and polling data. That's why the longer running polls tend to be more trustworthy, because they have lots of historical data to norm stuff off. It's obviously far from a science and that's why they report margins of error and poo poo. There's an unavoidable inherent sampling bias around people who actually answer the phone and talk to a pollster which they have to try and correct for.

It also relies on people doing what they claim over the phone, which is not the case - there are always going to be more people who can't be hosed actually going to vote, people tend to be a bit more conservative than they espouse, etc.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

idk what NZ polls are doing but in the US they gotta cook the numbers because they only poll land lines and so get heavily overweighted to old people. based on the numbers they got from the old people with landlines, they then make two guesses:
- what are the voting preferences of everybody else
- are those people actually going to go vote or are they just whiners like weka

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The two options, voting for a party which supports genocide or whining. I don't think anyone has to guess if I am going to vote bro.

bike tory posted:

lol this is some smooth brain poo poo alright

Interested to know who you would say is the best nazi party analogue for this particular opinion though.

IDK exactly what you are asking but it seems like the only candidates there who didn't express this this opinion were Grant Robertson and Abe Grey (TOP).

bike tory posted:

There's an unavoidable inherent sampling bias around people who actually answer the phone and talk to a pollster which they have to try and correct for.

How would you even do this unless you can identify some other trait correlated with talking to pollsters, in which case you just correct for that.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

idk what NZ polls are doing but in the US they gotta cook the numbers because they only poll land lines and so get heavily overweighted to old people. based on the numbers they got from the old people with landlines, they then make two guesses:
- what are the voting preferences of everybody else
- are those people actually going to go vote or are they just whiners like weka

I think I heard on TV that they actually call mobile phones here, but no hard evidence to back that up as I've literally never been called by any poling group about anything (and I've never had a land line).

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i got polled by curia during the flag referendum

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I vote what weka shuts the gently caress up about genocide

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

klen dool posted:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
a worm that actively made newzealand politics worse, pictured above quaint early-2000s tv graphics:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
lol

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Nice, Mt Albert splitting the vote 🙃

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Lol and lmao

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

klen dool posted:

If you would like to fawn over liberal supporters of mass murder without pushback there is a forum for that. Personally I think foreign policy is very important, especially to a country like NZ so dependent on trade.
Is there a party who thinks it's a bad idea to sail warships past the coast of our biggest trading partner with our dicks out?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Weka posted:

If you would like to fawn over liberal supporters of mass murder without pushback there is a forum for that. Personally I think foreign policy is very important, especially to a country like NZ so dependent on trade.
Is there a party who thinks it's a bad idea to sail warships past the coast of our biggest trading partner with our dicks out?

Well you don't have to worry because instead we're getting the parties most likely to do that, and also fall more in-line behind the USA.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Yeah luxon literally said "isreal has a right to defend itself" like the war criminal human genocide supporter he is

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Weka posted:

foreign policy is very important, especially to a country like NZ so dependent on trade.

yeah, which is why nz won't and can't buck the trend in any more than the most trivial of ways

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

at the end of the day, labour chose to retain that political capital, and what else can I say except it’s paying dividends

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bike tory posted:

The same "batshit" Roy Morgan who were the closest to the actual result last time? :allears:

That's three polls in a row now showing Labour/Greens/TPM ahead of National/ACT and Winston getting to choose the next govt.

bump ?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

klen dool posted:

Yeah luxon literally said "isreal has a right to defend itself" like the war criminal human genocide supporter he is

maybe that's why he's winning? people seem to love that poo poo

klen dool
May 7, 2007

CODChimera posted:

maybe that's why he's winning? people seem to love that poo poo

Nah it happened way to late in the election for it to have mattered

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

klen dool posted:

Nah it happened way to late in the election for it to have mattered

This is 100% because national are the *gestures vaguely at nothing* better economic stewards

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

It's because people feel like things aren't good and not getting much better so they want 'a change', nevermind what that change is.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Blackhawk posted:

Well you don't have to worry because instead we're getting the parties most likely to do that, and also fall more in-line behind the USA.

We've been doing it non-stop for the last 6 years.

klen dool posted:

So did Hipkins. "I think Israel is well within its rights to defend itself."
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/499758/hamas-invasion-and-israel-s-response-a-sequence-of-crimes

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Weka posted:

We've been doing it non-stop for the last 6 years.

So did Hipkins. "I think Israel is well within its rights to defend itself."
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/499758/hamas-invasion-and-israel-s-response-a-sequence-of-crimes

So loving what he's not gonna be the pm anymore so its irrelevant?

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Brain In A Jar posted:

This is 100% because national are the *gestures vaguely at nothing* better economic stewards

Literally talked to someone a few hrs ago who voted national because they're better at the economy, it's a pervasive lie

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A factual post about the polling, and pollling has turned out to be inaccurate.

exmarx posted:

the greens split a bunch of electorates ? lol

show me an electorate close enough that a green party candidate doing a party vote-only campaign would've made a difference

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
banks peninsula

lol at nicola willis

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

banks peninsula

Greens ran party-only there last time and got about the same number of votes, with less of the party vote.

exmarx posted:

lol at nicola willis

this one genuinely mystifies me, how the gently caress is O'Connor one of the ones to keep his seat

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I'm disappointed that none of you voted hard enough, particularly when Hipkins spent the first few weeks of his campaign assuring us that he wasn't going to do anything meaningfully different if elected.

Weka
May 5, 2019

bike tory posted:

Greens ran party-only there last time and got about the same number of votes, with less of the party vote.

this one genuinely mystifies me, how the gently caress is O'Connor one of the ones to keep his seat

Greg is a very good candidate for that seat, just the perfect centrist candidate. A cop, but a union man. Bluff, honest exterior in that classic kiwi way. Very few other people could have defeated Dunne there.

klen dool posted:

So loving what he's not gonna be the pm anymore so its irrelevant?

Two reasons, he will be PM for the next 3 weeks, while a great deal of the most visible parts of this genocide are happening. And because it means there is no government you could vote for that doesn't support genocide.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

gently caress off weka you dumb oval office

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Weka posted:

Two reasons, he will be PM for the next 3 weeks, while a great deal of the most visible parts of this genocide are happening. And because it means there is no government you could vote for that doesn't support genocide.

Yeah we get it, democratic electoral politics are a joke and anything short of destroying capitalism is at best shuffling deck chairs on the titanic, but what would you have anybody do about it? I'm hearing lots of complaining and not a lot of solutions here.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bike tory posted:

i think it's because willis campaigned on making thousands of ōhāriu residents jobless lol

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

now would be an incredible time for chris (old chris) to boot out the israeli ambassador and declare unconditional support for palestine

Blackhawk posted:

Yeah we get it, democratic electoral politics are a joke and anything short of destroying capitalism is at best shuffling deck chairs on the titanic, but what would you have anybody do about it? I'm hearing lots of complaining and not a lot of solutions here.

we aren't allowed to discuss actual solutions on these forums

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

redleader posted:

now would be an incredible time for chris (old chris) to boot out the israeli ambassador and declare unconditional support for palestine

He could do that if he wasn't a lib that believes in nothing lol

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Blackhawk posted:

He could do that if he wasn't a lib that believes in nothing lol

it's fun to imagine things :) :)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

what solutions has anyone offered? clearly partaking in the system doesn't work, and "switching things up by voting for minor parties" also didn't work...

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

imo Chloe holding AKC is one of the more impressive results of the night. This visualisation shows why - it's arranged by right/left party vote and you can see AKC way over with the right-leaning electorates:

I am obviously totally impartial and objective about this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
looks like lockdowns were good for saving thousands of lives, bad for electoral success