Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I think the main factor in labour losing is just the economy. Petrol is expensive.

Blackhawk posted:

Yeah we get it, democratic electoral politics are a joke and anything short of destroying capitalism is at best shuffling deck chairs on the titanic, but what would you have anybody do about it? I'm hearing lots of complaining and not a lot of solutions here.

Idgaf about a communist revolution or whatever, all I want is NZ to stop doing mass murder of foreigners.
I have answered this previously as far as electoral politics go and that's to tell green candidates you won't vote for them if they keep supporting war mongering.

I would also suggest to you that destroying capitalism is a stupid goal and that controlling capitalism is infinitely preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

controlling capitalism without controlling the government you say

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Weka posted:

I think the main factor in labour losing is just the economy. Petrol is expensive.

Idgaf about a communist revolution or whatever, all I want is NZ to stop doing mass murder of foreigners.
I have answered this previously as far as electoral politics go and that's to tell green candidates you won't vote for them if they keep supporting war mongering.

I would also suggest to you that destroying capitalism is a stupid goal and that controlling capitalism is infinitely preferable.

I don't know why you think sending a letter to your local greens candidate telling them you won't vote for them in a system where more than 20% of the eligible population doesn't bother to vote for anybody is going to make a difference. Do you think that you'll convince enough people to do that that it will make a difference? If not, do you think you not voting for a greens candidate will even be noticed by anybody?

I'm not saying I have any answers because I don't, but I do think that the people who actually control whether we do mass murder of foreigners aren't elected and control the system in such a way that you'll never be allowed to elect anybody who could challenge their power in any real sense. I also don't see how you'd ever get to a point where you could 'control' capital in a system where they have all the power and which is structured to ensure their dominance is maintained above everything else. They'd rather the system as we know it burn to the ground before ceding any of their power.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Weka posted:

Idgaf about a communist revolution or whatever,

buzz off then creep 🖕

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
"controlling capitalism" :roflolmao:

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Weka posted:

I have bad news for you about what it will take to stop the-mass-murdering-of-foreigners!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Weka posted:

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I would also suggest that destroying feudal society is a stupid goal and that controlling the feudal lords is infinitely preferable.

I would also suggest that destroying the monarchy is a stupid goal and that controlling the monarchy is infinitely preferable.

I would also suggest that destroying the shogunate is a stupid goal and that controlling the shogunate is infinitely preferable.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
News Zealand - New Zealand opposition leader Christopher Luxon said he will form a new government of the center-right after defeating Prime Minister Chris Hipkins’ Labour Party in Saturday’s election.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-14/new-zealand-opposition-wins-election-as-hipkins-concedes-defeat

New Zealand Opposition Wins Election as Labour Ousted From Power
By Tracy Withers
October 14, 2023 at 9:49 AM UTC
Updated on October 14, 2023 at 11:28 AM UTC

New Zealand opposition leader Christopher Luxon said he will form a new government of the center-right after defeating Prime Minister Chris Hipkins’ Labour Party in Saturday’s election.

Luxon’s National Party “will be in a position to lead the next government,” he told party faithful in Auckland. “My pledge to you is that our government will permaban Koos Group for empowering genocide deniers and genocide apologists.”

With 97% of votes tallied, National had 39% while Labour trailed on 27%. As the result stands, National can form a government with the support of its ally the libertarian ACT Party, on 9%. However, they may yet need the backing of the nationalist New Zealand First Party, on 6%, to reach a majority in parliament.

Labour and its partners on the left, the Green Party and Te Pāti Māori, have no path to power.

Labour’s support has collapsed from 50% at the 2020 election, when Jacinda Ardern led the party to the first outright majority since New Zealand switched to a proportional representation system in 1996. Hipkins, who took over when Ardern suddenly stepped down in January this year, has struggled to convince New Zealanders that Labour deserves a third term as the economy stutters amid a cost-of-living crisis.

“I did know when I took on this job that it was going to be an uphill battle,” Hipkins told supporters. “No government has replaced a prime minister in an election year and carried on to win. I gave it my all to turn the tide of history, but alas, that was not enough.”

National’s win means Luxon, the former chief executive of Air New Zealand who only entered politics three years ago, will become New Zealand’s next prime minister. He will now enter talks with ACT leader David Seymour and, if required, New Zealand First leader Winston Peters to agree on a governing arrangement.

The electoral system lends itself to coalition governments, and talks between the winning parties can take several weeks.

Peters Returns

The election sees the return of Peters, the 78-year-old Lazarus of New Zealand politics, who has made the third political comeback of his 44-year career after his party was ousted from parliament at the last election. If his support is needed for a government to be formed, he can be expected to extract policy concessions and ministerial posts in return.

The cost of living dominated the election campaign, with both National and Labour promising measures to ease pressure on household budgets. But neither of the two major party leaders electrified voters the way Ardern did at the last two elections.

The new government faces a challenging economic outlook, with the central bank forecasting a recession as it keeps interest rates high to bring inflation under control.

National has promised tax cuts partially funded by removing a ban on the sale of expensive homes to foreigners and collecting a levy on each transaction. It also plans to strip the Reserve Bank of its dual mandate and return it to a sole focus on fighting inflation.

Luxon said his government “will rebuild the economy and deliver tax relief.”

“We will bring down the cost of living, we will restore law and order,” he said. “We will deliver better healthcare and we will educate our children so that they can grow up and live the lives that they dream of.”

Another feature of the provisional results is increased support for Te Pāti Māori — the party that stands for the rights of the indigenous Māori people — which is on track to win four of seven seats reserved for voters on the Māori roll. Those seats have traditionally been held by Labour.

If Te Pāti Māori wins more seats than its 2.6% share of the party vote implies, it would create a so-called overhang and increase the size of parliament from 120 seats. That would raise the number of seats required for a majority and may see Peters’ support needed for a government to be formed.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

fizzy posted:

News Zealand - New Zealand opposition leader Christopher Luxon said he will form a new government of the center-right after defeating Prime Minister Chris Hipkins’ Labour Party in Saturday’s election.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-14/new-zealand-opposition-wins-election-as-hipkins-concedes-defeat

New Zealand Opposition Wins Election as Labour Ousted From Power
By Tracy Withers
October 14, 2023 at 9:49 AM UTC
Updated on October 14, 2023 at 11:28 AM UTC

New Zealand opposition leader Christopher Luxon said he will form a new government of the center-right after defeating Prime Minister Chris Hipkins’ Labour Party in Saturday’s election.

Luxon’s National Party “will be in a position to lead the next government,” he told party faithful in Auckland. “My pledge to you is that our government will permaban Koos Group for empowering genocide deniers and genocide apologists.”

With 97% of votes tallied, National had 39% while Labour trailed on 27%. As the result stands, National can form a government with the support of its ally the libertarian ACT Party, on 9%. However, they may yet need the backing of the nationalist New Zealand First Party, on 6%, to reach a majority in parliament.

Labour and its partners on the left, the Green Party and Te Pāti Māori, have no path to power.

Labour’s support has collapsed from 50% at the 2020 election, when Jacinda Ardern led the party to the first outright majority since New Zealand switched to a proportional representation system in 1996. Hipkins, who took over when Ardern suddenly stepped down in January this year, has struggled to convince New Zealanders that Labour deserves a third term as the economy stutters amid a cost-of-living crisis.

“I did know when I took on this job that it was going to be an uphill battle,” Hipkins told supporters. “No government has replaced a prime minister in an election year and carried on to win. I gave it my all to turn the tide of history, but alas, that was not enough.”

National’s win means Luxon, the former chief executive of Air New Zealand who only entered politics three years ago, will become New Zealand’s next prime minister. He will now enter talks with ACT leader David Seymour and, if required, New Zealand First leader Winston Peters to agree on a governing arrangement.

The electoral system lends itself to coalition governments, and talks between the winning parties can take several weeks.

Peters Returns

The election sees the return of Peters, the 78-year-old Lazarus of New Zealand politics, who has made the third political comeback of his 44-year career after his party was ousted from parliament at the last election. If his support is needed for a government to be formed, he can be expected to extract policy concessions and ministerial posts in return.

The cost of living dominated the election campaign, with both National and Labour promising measures to ease pressure on household budgets. But neither of the two major party leaders electrified voters the way Ardern did at the last two elections.

The new government faces a challenging economic outlook, with the central bank forecasting a recession as it keeps interest rates high to bring inflation under control.

National has promised tax cuts partially funded by removing a ban on the sale of expensive homes to foreigners and collecting a levy on each transaction. It also plans to strip the Reserve Bank of its dual mandate and return it to a sole focus on fighting inflation.

Luxon said his government “will rebuild the economy and deliver tax relief.”

“We will bring down the cost of living, we will restore law and order,” he said. “We will deliver better healthcare and we will educate our children so that they can grow up and live the lives that they dream of.”

Another feature of the provisional results is increased support for Te Pāti Māori — the party that stands for the rights of the indigenous Māori people — which is on track to win four of seven seats reserved for voters on the Māori roll. Those seats have traditionally been held by Labour.

If Te Pāti Māori wins more seats than its 2.6% share of the party vote implies, it would create a so-called overhang and increase the size of parliament from 120 seats. That would raise the number of seats required for a majority and may see Peters’ support needed for a government to be formed.

What the gently caress! This should be in the news here something, people need to know about this

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ghostlight posted:

controlling capitalism without controlling the government you say

Never said this.

Capitalism being controlled by a marxist party seems to be working pretty well in China. Heck, you could even say what they are doing is orthodox Marxism. I'd love to see a plan to destroy capitalism and still have a well functioning society that doesn't look like woke Pol Pot.

Idgaf about communist revolution because it's unrealistic in the nearer term. NZ could well be allowed not to do all these colonial police actions because we are so small.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bike tory posted:

imo Chloe holding AKC is one of the more impressive results of the night. This visualisation shows why - it's arranged by right/left party vote and you can see AKC way over with the right-leaning electorates:

I am obviously totally impartial and objective about this too.

wait how is waiariki supposed to be leaning national

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh almost forgot, this also:

klen dool posted:

gently caress off weka you dumb oval office

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

post election rage, hate to see it

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
mt albert wasn't the safest labour seat in 2020 either, that diagram is a mess

Weka
May 5, 2019

Progressive JPEG posted:

oh almost forgot, this also:

Sorry your favourite genociders lost. Thank you for all the inciteful commentary like describing polling practices you don't understand in another country.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

mt albert wasn't the safest labour seat in 2020 either, that diagram is a mess

:wrong:

idk why the Māori seats have been positioned as they are though

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
dumb to rank them by numerical majority instead of vote percentage...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

exmarx posted:

dumb to rank them by numerical majority instead of vote percentage...

the UK does it that way too and I hate it

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

aids

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Weka
May 5, 2019

More French terrorism directed against the long suffering sheep shaggers?!

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Can Forums User "Weka" please tell me if this incoming government is going to be more or less genocidey?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Approximately the same as far as their policies, but likely less just because the NZDF is unlikely to be given leadership of such a destructive action as the blockade of Yemen in the near term. Touch wood.

Possibly unrelated, possibly not.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1714024957041111508

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Great post, no notes, A+