Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Kayvan Novak did some amazing real life trolling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgSFBSAxuGw

He also worked with Chris Morris on Four Lions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
I liked Tommy Cooper, but he died one too many times on stage.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Julia Davis’ Nighty Night is a stone cold cult classic

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

DamnCanadian posted:

I was going to say Dara O’Briain but I just remembered he’s Irish.

He was (usually) brilliant on Taskmaster, though.

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

It's Paul Foot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a_1sqLZetQ

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
valko is pretty funny in an unintentional way sometimes

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Nooner posted:

valko is pretty funny in an unintentional way sometimes

You've never been funny.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think it's already been mentioned by Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is excellent, and also all up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Darkplace is my favourite comedy from that era.

If you watch it on youtube don't forget to check out the extended interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZlA6Qeseo

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Shiney McShine posted:

I liked Tommy Cooper, but he died one too many times on stage.

:lol:

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
hey wizard master on one of the evenings with kevin smith, kevin smith asked the audience what lines they used on their gfs/bfs or whatever and this british guy said "would you like a portion?" and kevin smith and the audience laughed and jason mewes was spaced out and didn't react and kevin smith was like hey jason that was really funny pay attention and got the guy to say the line again and he was like "would you like a portion?" and then jason mewes laughed, for me it's pretty much a toss up between that guy and stewart lee

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
One of the best: Peter Sellers

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Just search channel 4 on youtube and watch all the ten minute supercuts of the funny bits from 8 out of 10 cats does countdown. Rip Sean Lock.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

love how rhod gilbert spends the first minute of every task with his eyes closed and hands over his ears "trying to shut out the worst voices" in his own words, and the end result is still usually pure psychopathy

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
its not the same without sean lock

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
the funniest bit sean lock did was where jimmy carr asked him "do you have a mascot this week" and he started musing on the passing of time and what it means for the human condition and then just said "anyway, I've made a funny calendar".

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

almost1337 posted:

The first season is great; the second I did not enjoy nearly as much.

Serafinowicz and Popper have admitted its a lot rougher. There's some gold in there, but the BBC pushed for 22min episodes and you can tell it's stretched a bit. Also, that CGI door looks awful and breaks the concept that you're watching something from 1982ish.

dr_rat posted:

I think it's already been mentioned by Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is excellent, and also all up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE

I'm glad Holness is using the character again, you get the impression he knows the character inside out. The book he released last year was pretty funny and the attendant promo interviews were great. I think there's another book due this year too.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 20, 2023

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Hammerite posted:

its not the same without sean lock

I haven't seen an episode without him and I'd managed to forget he passed until just now, jerk :(

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

It should have been spelled favourite, op.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

idk, maybe it's my changing TV watching habits but British comedy seems pretty stale nowadays.
15 - 20 years ago there was a solid sitcom scene in British TV but the only decent one I've seen in years is Ghosts. And all the panel shows from back then are still going with mostly the same guests.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
David Mitchel has something where he plays Shakespeare that is possibly current.

I couldn't make it past 5 minutes though because it was terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG14YKyyb7A

It's even worse than I remembered. David Mitchell sucks.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 20, 2023

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
No one has mentioned Marty yet? For shame...

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Funky See Funky Do posted:

David Mitchel has something where he plays Shakespeare that is possibly current.

I couldn't make it past 5 minutes though because it was terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG14YKyyb7A

It's even worse than I remembered. David Mitchell sucks.

actually, it has Mark Heap in it, and consequently, it is good.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
to be more serious, upstart crow is mostly mediocre, but Mark Heap is in it and is good (as he is in everything) and also the character who is just a piss take of Ricky Gervais is incredibly funny imo

President in Residence
May 12, 2003

aunty donna

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

bitterandtwisted posted:

idk, maybe it's my changing TV watching habits but British comedy seems pretty stale nowadays.
15 - 20 years ago there was a solid sitcom scene in British TV but the only decent one I've seen in years is Ghosts. And all the panel shows from back then are still going with mostly the same guests.

I think panel shows are part of it, tbh. They're cheap to make and a pretty good and consistent payday for comedians, so there's no real incentive to develop expensive sitcoms that might sink you along with it.

The other side of this is that the kind of writing you need to do for a panel show doesn't lend itself to much more than cheeky banter, which, okay, can be fine, but it doesn't really allow for anything longer form or more high-concept.

You can tell who's gunning for that kind of job when you're at the Edinburgh fringe (which is loving awesome, if you don't have to live in Edinburgh during it) because their poster will be a perplexed looking man hiding his dick with a banana in a show which is about Tinder but *really* about grief.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Maybe I'm just a dumb provincial but most British comedy is too inscrutable, with too many local references for a Yank like me to get any pleasure out of it.

Matt Berry, Mitchell and Webb are all great tho.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Stephen K Amos and Ardal o'Hanlon both did competent, funny but fairly conventional sets when I saw them. Diane Morgan as Philomena Cunk is also very good.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Maybe I'm just a dumb provincial but most British comedy is too inscrutable, with too many local references for a Yank like me to get any pleasure out of it.

Matt Berry, Mitchell and Webb are all great tho.

Friday night dinner is/was pretty good, imo. But Paul Ritter died.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I agree that the UK sitcom scene isn't as good as it was a while back, although I wonder if it's more a case of reversion to the mean than things being particularly bad now.

Some more recent stuff that I've liked: People Just Do Nothing, Stath Lets Flats, Derry Girls, Murder in Successville.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Not really my favorite, but I find it interesting that British comedy has one of the more recently documented cases of someone dying from laughter. Back in 1975 some British guy died after laughing for more than 20 minutes.

This was the sketch that did him in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5UZgELC57g

It's not bad, but I can't see this as 'laugh to death' material.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Busters posted:

Not really my favorite, but I find it interesting that British comedy has one of the more recently documented cases of someone dying from laughter. Back in 1975 some British guy died after laughing for more than 20 minutes.

This was the sketch that did him in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5UZgELC57g

It's not bad, but I can't see this as 'laugh to death' material.

:lmao:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
<references Britishly>

That's numberwang!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Thatcher and that other old bat were pretty funny

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I Lol'd pretty hard when Queen Liz died does that count?

Szyznyk posted:

Rik Mayall. Young Ones, Bottom, New Statesman. Lord Flasheart. Goddamned content.

WOOF!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Frankie Boyle is pretty funny.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Tim Curry definitely. He isn't funny but he's funny adjacent which is enough.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
lmao I forgot all Matt Berry's musical bits from snuff box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxB4_uZyWAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVwzAd4S2E8

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

bitterandtwisted posted:

You had BBC 3 which was set up to be for new comedy talent, and it was a starting place for a lot of comedians and had some good show.

But the comedy has gotten stale these days as its turned from 'no limit ridicule' to 'woah now thats a bit too strong I won't get that panel spot or BBC one off if I'm too controversial'.

Imagine Jerry Sadowitz or Stewart Lee on Task Master for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

covidstomper58 posted:

Tim Curry definitely. He isn't funny but he's funny adjacent which is enough.

I could have sworn he was American.