Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Valko posted:

I could have sworn he was American.

He's still alive. He's had a stroke about 10 years ago that he hasn't recovered from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Funky See Funky Do posted:

He's still alive. He's had a stroke about 10 years ago that he hasn't recovered from.

Oh poo poo. I didn't mean to talk about him in the past tense. I just googled to make sure the last person I qouted was right and I saw him in a wheelchair and was 77 years old. I didn't even know he was that old - I thought 60 something.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
the lack of sitcoms and sketch shows on the level of previous decades is because of money. no tv channel, not even the bbc, is willing to pay writers for a year before you can roll a camera, with rare exceptions.

unscripted stuff can still be good, but it's pretty sad how much we're missing because commissioners can't comprehend paying writers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Alan Partridge

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNmZ8bqkXvw

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

People who enjoy Taskmaster should definitely check out the Big Fat Quiz, taps into the same pool of comedians and has a similar level of chaos. Greg Davis has even been on it a few times, once with Richard Ayoade as his teammate which was fantastic

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

SirSamVimes posted:

People who enjoy Taskmaster should definitely check out the Big Fat Quiz, taps into the same pool of comedians and has a similar level of chaos. Greg Davis has even been on it a few times, once with Richard Ayoade as his teammate which was fantastic

Those two and Would I Lie To You are the only ones I watched all the way through a few years ago. WILTY suffers as it goes on because the two funniest people on it have long since run out of material being in every episode

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This might be my favorite Taskmaster bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm3hs7v4RxE

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

OIM BRI'ISH OIM BRI'ISH GUVNAH

DATS DEM INNIT

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Waltzing Along posted:

NO WEIII

I loved how he has a genuinely great time while everyone else was just getting angrier and angrier as the task went on.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
James Acaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiOsY3lFMT0

Simon Amstell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L0bo6CTVgI

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SirSamVimes posted:

NO WEIII

I loved how he has a genuinely great time while everyone else was just getting angrier and angrier as the task went on.

Exactly. And Alex getting annoyed for the first time. And the one dude getting lucky on a random guess after completely screwing things up. And "i don't like shoes." Pretty much everything about this segment is gold.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
When James Acaster calls Greg Davies a pussy and Davies goes into disappointed teacher mode lmao

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Noel Fielding + Richard Ayaode team on Big Fat Quiz is an all time meltdown

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

verbal enema posted:

Noel Fielding + Richard Ayaode team on Big Fat Quiz is an all time meltdown

Link?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

https://youtu.be/BI4KHCqNszM?si=DkpS1nGsB4XfFAzu

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This one is the actual meltdown part

https://youtu.be/zIi67lzugeg?si=vqUp7NrKTUkULYzR

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Jay Foreman and his mate Mark Whatsisname-Wazzisname are also quite good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

verbal enema posted:

Noel Fielding

I hate this man. Everything about him, yet I know nothing about him.

His face is dumb and he accentuates with the dumbest haircut I've ever seen. I hate the name the "mighty boosh" and I really hate absurdist dry comedy.

I can not look at that man without getting immediately angry.

I feel bad because it's so shallow and he may be a nice guy, but I just can't do it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
i feel like on "the big fat quiz" they are generally trying a bit too hard to be wacky.

i did think it was incredibly funny a few years ago when they had Mel C on and Ayoade says to her with a completely straight face that "we need to address the sexual tension between us".

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I love Noel Fielding. He looks like an elf or something to me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Waltzing Along posted:

I love Noel Fielding. He looks like an elf or something to me.

Fuckin' Crow Boy

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pennywise the Frown posted:

His face is dumb and he accentuates with the dumbest haircut I've ever seen. I hate the name the "mighty boosh" and I really hate absurdist dry comedy.

I feel bad because it's so shallow and he may be a nice guy, but I just can't do it.

He quit is first job within the first 5 minutes because he hated the color of the uniform pants

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

BTW, Richard Ayoade’s audiobook version of his book “Ayoade on Top” about the terrible movie “View from the Top” is excellent and anyone who finds him funny should listen to it.

His tangent about Gwynith Paltrow’s Goop lawsuit is excellent as well as his stories about his childhood.

If you don’t already think just about every word that comes out of his mouth is hilarious, you may not like the audiobook.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0BWXXM8Q9o

Does Olivia Coleman count as a comedienne since she is flawless in every role I’ve ever seen her in, regardless of genre? I first saw her on “That Mitchell and Webb Look”. I’m American, though, so I’m sure she was probably known prior to that.

Bored fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 21, 2023

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Is Ross Noble funny? I've always liked him on QI. Also I have a crush on Cariad Lloyd.

I tried watching an episode of cannon and ball on YouTube recently and it was p bad

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Snuff Box is really funny. Black books, Green Wing, 8 out of 10 cats does countdown, Spaced, Comedy Asylum, Charlie Brooker's Yearly Wipes.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Taskmaster is the greatest show that is, has been, and will ever be on television.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's Katherine Ryan and it's because of what she did on Taskmaster!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Beartaco posted:

Taskmaster is the greatest show that is, has been, and will ever be on television.

Sure, but what sort of incredibly low bar is that.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hammerite posted:

i feel like on "the big fat quiz" they are generally trying a bit too hard to be wacky.

i did think it was incredibly funny a few years ago when they had Mel C on and Ayoade says to her with a completely straight face that "we need to address the sexual tension between us".

You're probably thinking of Mel B. I don't think C was ever on there. The funniest thing about that specific BFQ is that someone edited and uploaded a version of it to youtube without Mel B. Literally photoshopped her out of every shot.
Edit: Found it - "...it feels like a 75 minute episode of Garfield Minus Garfield...". Even her name tag got edited out.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

SirSamVimes posted:

Those two and Would I Lie To You are the only ones I watched all the way through a few years ago. WILTY suffers as it goes on because the two funniest people on it have long since run out of material being in every episode

If you enjoyed these, then maybe check out the radio 4 show The Unbelievable Truth. It's entertaining and sometimes you get to even learn some trivia. It's a sort of QI/WILTY mix.

itry fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 22, 2023

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
Spike Milligan was the godfather of British comedy who deserves recognition. He made his reputation from the 1940s to 60s mostly in the Goons radio show. He wrote some seriously funny books too. His zany comedy influenced successive generations of Brit comics including Monty Python and more. However Spike was pretty racist because he didn''t like the large numbers of new immigrants coming to Britain from the West Indies and Pakistan after WW2.. On a trip to Australia in the 1950s, to visit his parents in Woy Woy he was surprised and upset to realise that there were quite a few dark skinned aborigines living down under. A comic to the end though, the epitaph on Spike's headstone says

"I told you I was sick"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The other guy from Boosh seems like a nice fella and Flowers on Channel 4 was pretty good, but that film he did about the 70s TV star solving a real crime was loving terrible.

happyhippy posted:

You had BBC 3 which was set up to be for new comedy talent, and it was a starting place for a lot of comedians and had some good show.

But the comedy has gotten stale these days as its turned from 'no limit ridicule' to 'woah now thats a bit too strong I won't get that panel spot or BBC one off if I'm too controversial'.

Imagine Jerry Sadowitz or Stewart Lee on Task Master for example.

Sadowitz has never done TV to my knowledge, but Lee has a good story about doing Have I Got News For You, hating it, and then being called "that fat prick from Have I Got News For You in a taxi queue in Aberdeen"

In fairness, it wasn't that long ago Lee had a stand-up show on the BBC which was rare at the time, and I think unheard of now.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Bored posted:

Does Olivia Coleman count as a comedienne since she is flawless in every role I’ve ever seen her in, regardless of genre? I first saw her on “That Mitchell and Webb Look”. I’m American, though, so I’m sure she was probably known prior to that.

She's done Flowers, Look Around You, Mitchell & Webb, Hot Fuzz, The Office, Peep Show and Black Books so there's hardly a sphere of scripted British comedy she hasn't touched. She's good. National Tresure Status good.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

The other guy from Boosh seems like a nice fella and Flowers on Channel 4 was pretty good, but that film he did about the 70s TV star solving a real crime was loving terrible.

done much better by alan partridge: alpha papa

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

Disco Pope posted:

Sadowitz has never done TV to my knowledge

Jerry Sadowitz did a series for the BBC called 'The Pall-Bearer's Revue'. It was distinguished by being not only taken off-air after a single episode but also immediately deleted from the BBC archives. He later did 'The Jerry Atrick Show' for Channel 5, which I remember being disappointed by despite being a dissolute teenage edgelord at the time. He was great doing magic on 'Stuff the White Rabbit' though.

The late Sean Lock wrote and starred in a series set in a London high-rise which was cracking and maybe under-watched -- 'Fifteen Storeys High'. His co-star Benedict Wong went on to Hollywood, bit surreal seeing him turn up in e.g. 'Prometheus'.

Seconding Fern Brady and Frankie Boyle. Boyle has managed to pivot from getting headlines for obscene jokes about disabled kids to getting headlines for obscene jokes about the government. He spent a whole episode of his week-in-review show on BBC2 on a fairly earnest discussion of Situationism.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
None of those names sound like real celebrities.

British "stars" all look like substitute teachers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

itry posted:

If you enjoyed these, then maybe check out the radio 4 show The Unbelievable Truth. It's entertaining and sometimes you get to even learn some trivia. It's a sort of QI/WILTY mix.

Agreed, it's a great show (or was, don't know if it's still running), the premise is that each host has to give a lecture on a given topic and trick the others into believing as many made up facts as possible (or contesting true facts)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

None of those names sound like real celebrities.

British "stars" all look like substitute teachers.

Yeah, they are humans and not American vat-grown androids.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Waltzing Along posted:

That was dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

done much better by alan partridge: alpha papa

Yeah, probably the only good British sitcom to film adaptation. Don't say The Inbetweeners, that's just American Pie for people called Dave.

Juliet Whisky posted:

Seconding Fern Brady and Frankie Boyle. Boyle has managed to pivot from getting headlines for obscene jokes about disabled kids to getting headlines for obscene jokes about the government. He spent a whole episode of his week-in-review show on BBC2 on a fairly earnest discussion of Situationism.

I have a lot of respect for Boyle - I'm kind of irked that he's Scottish, bespectacled and his beard grows in ginger, so I've been called Frankie by enough drunks in Kebab shops to last a lifetime.

But for real, he seems like he was smart enough to realise that the edgy jokes about kids in wheelchairs or olympic swimmer's noses or whatever weren't actually funny when the audience agreed with them rather than being disgusted by the funny misanthrope man and has revealed himself to be pretty bright and and left-leaning in a world thats pivoted back to being comfortable with . To be frank, it's not dissimilar the direction these forums have taken, and certainly one I have as I've grown.

Cyril Sneer posted:

That was dire.

Have to say, Taskmaster doesn't do it for me. It's okay, but I definitely prefer stand-up and scripted stuff.

Surprised to see Chris Morris hasn't come up. Jam was really sinister and hit a cool trip-hop/Warp records sort of vibe. I remember getting a dark chuckle/body horror shudder from this:

https://youtu.be/_9Hu6J3pEwQ?si=8VeR34UeZMyafB_r

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 22, 2023