Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

steinrokkan posted:

Agreed, it's a great show (or was, don't know if it's still running), the premise is that each host has to give a lecture on a given topic and trick the others into believing as many made up facts as possible (or contesting true facts)

See also the vaguely related Two of these people are lying youtube series (with Tom Scott and friends).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Waltzing Along posted:

I love Noel Fielding. He looks like an elf or something to me.

shame but he’s about to me #MeToo’d

everything good in the UK is dead now

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cyril Sneer posted:

That was dire.

No way!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Cyril Sneer posted:

That was dire.

You miserable cynical bastard. Go to hell and take your bullshit with you.

Crystal Thenis posted:

everything good in the UK is dead now

You too. Put up or shut up.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 22, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You miserable cynical bastard. Go to hell and take your bullshit with you.

You too. Put up or shut up.

There's some muck-raking happening because he was pally with Brand and he apparently dated Pixie Geldof when she was 16, but who knows.

All I know is if I ever get stuck in 2004 Camden with no way of every escaping, shoot me and every member of my ironic dayglo synthpop band and turn the corpses to ashes.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, they are humans and not American vat-grown androids.

I've ran into a lotta Brit tourists and it's pretty debatable if they were human.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Juliet Whisky posted:

Jerry Sadowitz did a series for the BBC called 'The Pall-Bearer's Revue'. It was distinguished by being not only taken off-air after a single episode but also immediately deleted from the BBC archives.

I managed to get a torrent version of it back in the early 2000s, grainy as gently caress and bad quality.
The opening sequence is him hanging himself.
The rest is just meh these days, but back then yeah it would be edgelord territory.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

Agreed, it's a great show (or was, don't know if it's still running), the premise is that each host has to give a lecture on a given topic and trick the others into believing as many made up facts as possible (or contesting true facts)

29 series and still running, amazingly.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Crystal Thenis posted:

Probably not likely because Pixie Geldoff (The woman who would me-too him) has openly defended their relationship (relatively) recently, I think.

Anyway Sean Locke.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Oh, just popped into my head. I also like Aisling Bea (Irish though, not British) and Joe Lycett.

Diane Morgan, perhaps better known as her character Philomena Cunk, is loving hilarious too. She's on Netflix now and you should definitely check out her documentary stuff.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Bob Mortimor is a treasure, I could listen to him talk about his life(or make it up) all day. He has the best WILTY stories.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The girl from Game Face. I forget her name was it's an odd one. Roisin Conaty.

Gameface is great. I hope they do another series.

Also that lady from This Way Up, she's great, too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Charles Bukowski posted:

Bob Mortimor is a treasure, I could listen to him talk about his life(or make it up) all day. He has the best WILTY stories.

We do beg your pardon but we are in your garden

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

We do beg your pardon but we are in your garden

We just always felt we were stealing something from the families

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Waltzing Along posted:

The girl from Game Face. I forget her name was it's an odd one. Roisin Conaty.

Gameface is great. I hope they do another series.

She was great on Man Down too

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Reginald D Hunter and Rich Hall

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

done much better by alan partridge: alpha papa

The second the North Norfolk Digital logo comes up it’s non stop incredible for a good solid 10 minutes. It feels like they just put so much effort into starting as strong as possible. Always loved his radio show elements, especially with callers, and my god they hit that bit out the park.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I visited years ago and there was this talk show on called 18 Stone of Idiot where the host was like a British Larry the Cable Guy

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’ll be Johnny Vegas. National icon.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

That’ll be Johnny Vegas. National icon.

I've only seen him on taskmaster, and he seems like someone who ever evening goes to the pub, has a beer and a half, than cries the rest of the night away over the misery his life's become.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

one of my greatest fears is accidentally enjoying a british comedian. it’s like russian roulette but somehow less fair

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

dr_rat posted:

I've only seen him on taskmaster, and he seems like someone who ever evening goes to the pub, has a beer and a half, than cries the rest of the night away over the misery his life's become.

https://youtu.be/JADmrVVz3bI?si=4D6qWgXnraxOPP8O

You'll like this

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I was surprised when I learned that Frankie Boyle was an edgy comedian because his comedic persona on Taskmaster was just a grumpy scottish grandfather.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

I was surprised when I learned that Frankie Boyle was an edgy comedian because his comedic persona on Taskmaster was just a grumpy scottish grandfather.

Yeah, about 15 years ago when he was first really coming into the spotlight, when I was a teenager, his comedy was pitch black and edgy. But he got out of that because, well, the zeitgeist moved on and so did his comedy. Still got the occasional hit of pitch black cynicism but much more tempered by, as you said, grumpy Scottish grandpa.

Still fuckin giggle about the Tories and Mary Whitehouse wannabes getting pissed off with "I'm so old, my pussy is haunted" though because it dared to make an old joke about the queen AND use the word pussy

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

SirSamVimes posted:

You are not allowed to show or do your comedy on Taskmaster, its not your show.
Frankie is a vicious bastard in his live shows still these days.
But hes like most others who survive to still be relevant 20 years later, they become 'dad comedians'.
Tamer, more acceptable by mainstream, start writing books .

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Haha, yep! Legit decent and funny poem and 100% what if you asked me what he'd write a poem, I would of guessed it would of been about!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I wonder why panel shows are such a British thing? I know there's been an attempt or two to do US ones that have failed (maybe US comedians are less willing to play the fall-guy role that a lot of these shows seem to need?). Like, do they have their roots in posho parlour games that became radio shows that became TV Shows or something?

One thing that is true - I cannot think of a single good British animated comedy. loving Stressed Eric?! Monkey Dust had its moments, but not enough to call it "good".

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

One thing that is true - I cannot think of a single good British animated comedy. loving Stressed Eric?! Monkey Dust had its moments, but not enough to call it "good".

Bob and Margaret was mild and pleasant.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I mean, Wallace and Gromit is pretty great

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

free hubcaps posted:

I mean, Wallace and Gromit is pretty great

To be deliberately pedantic that was a claymated British comedy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Szyznyk posted:

To be deliberately pedantic that was a claymated British comedy.

To poo poo on your pedantic'ism with more so, claymation is a type of animation.

It can still can 100% accurately be described as an animated film!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Yea I was already being slightly pedantic in my first post, anything done in stop motion is absolutely considered animation.

Speaking of which, while it's not entirely comedy I'm a huge sucker for the work of Cosgrove Hall

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Animation was usually a kids thing upto the Simpsons in the UK, probably in most countries.
Outside of TV show intros, can't think of an adult aimed cartoon show before The Simpsons.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

dr_rat posted:

I’ve also only seen Johnny Vegas on Taskmaster. He looked pretty old and decrepit, when he did the raft on wheels task I thought he might not be able to finish. Then I look at his IMDb page and I’m a few months older than him! :wtf::owned:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Snowy posted:

I’ve also only seen Johnny Vegas on Taskmaster. He looked pretty old and decrepit, when he did the raft on wheels task I thought he might not be able to finish. Then I look at his IMDb page and I’m a few months older than him! :wtf::owned:

Watch the show he did back in the early 2000s called Ideal.
He plays a drug dealer ( I deal geddit!) who never leaves the house, everyone comes to him.
It has some of the greatest characters ever made. Cartoon Head and Psycho Paul.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

happyhippy posted:

Watch the show he did back in the early 2000s called Ideal.
He plays a drug dealer ( I deal geddit!) who never leaves the house, everyone comes to him.
It has some of the greatest characters ever made. Cartoon Head and Psycho Paul.

It seems hard to find in the US but the first series is on archive.org, thanks for the heads up!

https://archive.org/details/bbc-ideal-s-01-e-03-the-boyfriend-dvdrip-lkrg

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Disco Pope posted:

I wonder why panel shows are such a British thing? I know there's been an attempt or two to do US ones that have failed (maybe US comedians are less willing to play the fall-guy role that a lot of these shows seem to need?). Like, do they have their roots in posho parlour games that became radio shows that became TV Shows or something?

The argument I've seen come up lots of times is that Americans just don't understand a game show where no one cares about winning.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hear that a lot too, but did anyone ever care about winning in Whose Line?

I think the main thing is, most panel shows are just a bit poo poo really.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

happyhippy posted:

Animation was usually a kids thing upto the Simpsons in the UK, probably in most countries.
Outside of TV show intros, can't think of an adult aimed cartoon show before The Simpsons.

monkey dust was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Has anyone said those clowns in Westminster?!?