Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Still a dope-rear end car chase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
OK I'm almost at the end of Nausicaa. This one's one of my favorites to this day. It goes insanely hard on the self-sacrificing pacifistic moral stuff and leans way far off the princess/knight romantic dynamic even though it clearly includes those two players in the story. The soundtrack is a fun outlier in terms of how much it leans on synthesizers and, I think, does a great job of using them for what they are.

I'm struck by how incredibly 2d Final Fantasy this movie looks and I'd love to get a clearer idea of what people call this style. Things like extremely round character and monster art, snub-nosed tanks, artistic reference to Medieval Europe, is there a starting point for this stuff in Japanese art and animation when I primarily know it from about a decade later in games?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Mad influential as Nausicaa was, it's still fun picking out the dna of 80's fantasy anime running strong in it, all the knights and castles, the jeweled headwear and wizened old babas

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's so funny how 95% of all Lupin movies and specials after Cagliostro are so transparently trying to make Clarisse happen again

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I would simply reintroduce Clarisse more often than once a decade and for more than a cameo each time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also it was extremely funny the day I learned that one of the most iconic Touhou fansongs was essentially built on a Cagliostro reference

Good movie. Kinda basic, kinda simple, but it works.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Castle of Cagliostro rewatch is done. This movie has served as my only real exposure to Lupin III unless you count that one episode of Samurai jack but it remains a fun movie. Just going to throw another comment praising the soundtrack because the music is all around pretty good and well placed. The car chase theme has the perfect punch to it when it kicks in. Also ironic that the Count dies to a giant clock.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
So when I was a kid, I accidentally cut in front of Hayao Miyazaki

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Rewatched Castle of Cagliostro, and that was a really fun movie. I watched it with the Manga Entertainment dub this time and it worked pretty well. The 4K looks really great too.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The scene where Lupin is in the tower with the princess in the moonlight, and the romantic music is playing, is pure magic. :allears: All of the bombast of the chase scenes and heists and spy gadgets gets replaced with really emotive character acting and wistful music. When Lupin pulls the rose out of thin air, and then starts unfurling little flags from it... Jeez, it's so wonderful. It just instantly wins you over to the idea that a thief is their own kind of hero.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He stole the precious thing!!!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
It's a perfect scene. He went through all that to get up there and turns on a dime to trying to make a very upset girl laugh.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

watched Nausicaa, unlike Cagliostro i haven't seen it before and it definitely felt a lot more Ghibli. a ton of showcasing landscapes but there were also a lot of intricacies in the animation i loved like the woven texture of the tapestry early on or the sludge melting effect on the giant warrior toward the end. the movie itself wasn't what i expected going in, a lot slower paced in the middle than i anticipated after the carnage and combat that happened in the first third but i didn't mind that since it helped convey that sense of eerie alien wonderment that i got from like the first five minutes of the film. i joked with my partner it felt like Ghibli characters and color palette in a Giger world but honestly that ended up feeling very apt, just this grotesque barren beauty of a post-apoc Earth. also the music wasn't what i expected for the most part but it worked almost too well i think lol. i guess if i have any criticisms it's that the story seems almost too focused given how the world is, if that makes sense; what you see is what you get basically. but that's just me finding something to nitpick i think since i liked it a whole lot

not gonna pump out a tiermaker til the end but ranking them for now,

Nausicaa
Cagliostro

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The giant warrior was animated by Hideaki Anno and and is one of the real standout moments in the movie for me. Just so gnarly and completely sells the dread that's been building the whole movie about what the people and planet are at risk of repeating. In terms of the story vs. the world... The manga goes much, much further with the world and the story than the movie does. To the point that I'd almost describe the movie as a truncated, fairytale rendition of the manga, which is truly an epic.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Cephas posted:

The giant warrior was animated by Hideaki Anno and and is one of the real standout moments in the movie for me. Just so gnarly and completely sells the dread that's been building the whole movie about what the people and planet are at risk of repeating. In terms of the story vs. the world... The manga goes much, much further with the world and the story than the movie does. To the point that I'd almost describe the movie as a truncated, fairytale rendition of the manga, which is truly an epic.

oh drat i had no idea there was a manga too, that's rad

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Just finished Nausicaa as well, and I really dug it too. The blu-ray looks amazing.

I do wonder how the manga compares though. I've had the box set for a while and have been meaning to get around to it, but :effort:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
it's laputa week, i'll watch tonight!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
ok laputa is still really good. very comfy, great adventure flick. everyone should see it. i've seen it a billion times by now.

things that are not perfect are starting to stick out to me in a way that the other miyazaki films dont yet. like, the soundtrack has some phoned-in moments, and there are some scenes that don't contribute a ton. it's relatively long for an adventure-fantasy movie and that starts to get you on rewatch.

the princess, knight, and evil count are here again. this is a much more pat romance and i think that's a big part of why it feels so comfy - you know those two are gonna get together at the end and ride off into the sunset, and they do. it owns. lol at the developing visual language from miyazaki that big poofy business suit = evil bad man.

the spectre of weapons of mass destruction appears again and this time it's depicted a few different times instead of just one. for a longer more swashbuckly movie i think it works really well.

i feel more confident every time i see it that this is a really good movie that's just slightly not as good as nausicaa.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
the highlight is the beginning when she falls down and the music revs up as the necklace lights up.

But I always zone out halfway and lose interest.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Was gonna be all "I will do this...for the shin-chan movies" just to be a lil stinker, nyehehehe, but then I looked it up and holy moly, that's a lotta shin-chan...but I've been doing it anyway, alongside the Miyazaki flicks, just cuz I know from Adult's Empire that they animate the bejesus outta these and the contrast with the classier Ghibli fare will be funny.

Oh and I'm doin all the Ghibli. Takahata, Goro, even that joint Ocean Waves. Worryin' bout how to rank it all comes later.

Oh and gently caress per week, I'm doin one of each(ghibli, shin-chan) per day, w some breaks. Oh, and I started weeks ago, when I was sick and had lots of free time.

Shin Chan Movie 1: Action Mask vs Leotard Devil: All I know about these films is they go crazy w the animation when they finally get going w the chosen genre of the week, as it were, but this earliest flick feels mostly like shin-chan bits w prettier layouts and nice backgrounds for awhile. But then it'll take these wild digressions in tone, getting quiet and kinda dreamlike, hit you w some interesting time travel imagery for a sec, and it's off at the races w Action Man. There's some hacky okama crap at the end(which I'd come to find is in literally all these loving things) but at least the swordfight was bitchin.

Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro: This one really just speaks to the strength and flexibilty of Lupin as a character and a property. You can really do whatever you want w these characters; tone down the menace while cranking up the cartoonyness and the whole cast still works great. The economy of this movie really blows me away on every watch, in a few minutes, the whole vibe is established, who Lupin is and how he's different, the lighthearted sense of momentum to the action. There's just drat fine Cartooning all over this gorgeous flick, w tons of my favorite touches and quirks of animation of the era(namely machines exploding into a bajillion individually-animated pieces)and the castle is a character in its own right. And it still finds time to breathe; easy to see how Lupin sits among the influences of Cowboy Bebop and Shinichiro Watanabe, king of anime montages where a gangly guy stylishly dicks around in sumptously detailed locales. My favorite bit in the movie has gotta be how Lupin doesn't have any fancy Bond way to get out of that daring catch and plummet near the beginning. He just breaks his assbone on the rocks. lol

Shin-chan Movie 2: The Hidden Treasure of the Buri Buri Kingdom: This one really hits the ground running genre and animation wise but then sags around the middle w how it spreads out the samey shin chan bits across the adventure proper. The jungle setting is pretty enough but the climax is where all the sakuga happens; there's poo poo in the last third of this flick I couldn't believe I was seeing. They did that.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: As a message piece and narrative, it doesn't come together at all, tho the transparency of Miyazaki's perspective is charming in its own way; as a sprawling action epic about nature and kindness, it's got some slack but it mostly slaps. It's that vibe that prompts critics to obnoxiously refer to the fantasy they like as "Elevated Fantasy" when the feeling of elevation comes via how the team put their entire rear end into every element of the production; the world, the beasties, the drama of it. Watched this the same day as Buri Buri Kingdom and it was funny how similar they feel re: doing every last step of the fantasy adventure narrative beats and not half-assing any of it. It's like following a dnd campaign w these movies sometimes.

Lord Yuba rocks, but the tolmekian princess comes off very thinly sketched. She takes off her thing and I'm like, so? She never once, even once, seems cool after that in any stuation involving the sea of decay. She was gonna shoot those bigass bugs w her stupidass teeny lil fancy gun and die. Pfffffbbt

No real thoughts on the ending, it p much boldly states the story's status as baldfaced parable by openly being the literally prophesized outcome of the fantastical tale of the savior of all mankind, so it all depends on how it speaks to you if the parable works or not. If it's supposed to be a parable on pacifism, then it doesn't for me really; if not for the pejitians fighting back and opposing the invading army, and asbel fighting back, and her own people in the valley fighting back(and hijacking those tanks which was loving sweet) and herself threatening violence once, and that gunship saving her once (which was loving sweet), her pacifism alone wouldn't have gotten her anywhere. And where does it get her? She dies. pfft

Her simple kindness, more than simply not fighting, feels like her most celebrated virtue. Sure is an exciting action movie, tho(that I tend to doze off or pause somewhere around the last third cuz this flick really doesn't stop until it ends after a certain point, if ya understand me.)

Castle in the Sky: The kitchen scene has always been weird. The most no bitches energy of any pirate crew put to cel right there.

Other than that, perfect movie, no notes(well, besides that first one.) As a family adventure movie, it's actually perfect. The midpoint fortress breakout w the robot and basically everything after they land on Laputa proper are the best sequences Ghibli had done at that point, and even now, little comes close. After the stone-faced Nausicaa, the humor and comic timing and cartoon energy on full display here from minute one is so refreshing. God bless and RIP Nizo Yamamoto and the bg art team on this one. Give their "moving trees and backgrounds" artists all the money

Miyazaki is good at writing for and around kids in a lot of his movies, and I love the subtle arc Pazu and Sheeta have, starting out basically being whisked from place to place w the little power and agency they have, but they each start to come into their own; Pazu as he comes to the rescue, Sheeta aboard the pirate ship. By the time they're on Laputa, they're doing it for themselves, saving their friends and themselves. It never reads too powerfully like romance to me, just simple friendship.

Miyazaki has faith in young audiences too. It's p sophisticated how the story will weave some dramatic irony or complex emotion into the major action beats; from how the rampaging robot, tho horrifically destructive, is plainly trying to reach and protect Sheeta, to the sad way our heroes look on as Laputa ascends skyward, unreachable, untouchable.

RIP to those birds and animals that will just die in space now i guess lol

Hisaishi's 80's synth stuff owns, and so does the original score to this film, but I rewatched again dubbed over the weekend w my husband and gotta say, the orchestral re-do of the score Hisaishi did for the '03 dub is some of his best work. His 00's orchestral work is his prettiest in my book.

The day I did Castle, I needed a break from the shin-chan and on a lark checked out something w Miyazaki's credit on it from the late 60's
The Flying Phantom Ship: lmao omg what gently caress yeah repeated endlessly for just over an hour. The whole earth and everything on and within it hates this one dog in particular. gently caress you, Jack, so hard, says The Flying Phantom Ship.

Shin-chan Movie 3: Unkokusai's Ambition: This one had me scared it would just be a long ep of the show, takes nearly 14 min before so much as the first pretty background. When it gets there tho, it turns into a nicely animated samurai sendup w some crackin' swordfights. The big bad must be some dumb reference I don't get but lol. The okama bit in this one was particularly nasty, tho really I shoulda saw it comin.

My Neighbor Totoro: Again, a perfect movie. Miyazaki and co deciding on a whole vibe, setting, world and absolutely nailing it. Kazuo Oga and the background artists do just stupefying work. The way it feels like the characters really live in and move within these worlds is prolly the most impressive thing for me about the studio's work in sum. A very cozy and evocative watch that always feels both slow and easy and like it whipped right by, like a day of summer vacation.

Shin-chan Movie 4: Great Adventure in Henderland: Such pretty layouts! the bg team was going ham on this one. Yuasa and Keiichi Hara are among the storyboarders, so goes to show this would be the most visually inventive yet.The okama crap starts early this time, but I can't even hate cuz these guys own. The way the fairy girl keeps dying and reappearing is sorta incoherent and really coulda used less scenes in the bathtub, but we're fully in the groove now of these films just doing whatever the hell they feel like. The climax of an anime adventure movie everybody runs around a lot scene is some top shelf sillyass cartooning, killed me wholly dead.

And then there's that snowman. I'm sorry, S. Noman.

The ending reminded me a little of Howl, actually lol

Grave of the Fireflies: Yes I did this to myself, but I knew seein this challenge I was gonna do the Takahatas. Just feels like cheatin yerself to not get the full scope of not just what this team at this studio could do, but what they sought to accomplish. Would put space bw watches, but never been so precious about it that "just can't watch it again nonono". As far as bracing, realistic, frank and at times heartbreakingly sweet portraits of life on the ground at Japan at the time, in anime, you've got In This Corner of the World and what else? The tragedy hits hard bc the whole life story is told w masterclass slice of life acuity; that old crank who couldn't draw was one of the best to ever do it!!

The movie's a wealth of riches beyond feeling sad at it, but if there's one thing I love it's the nuance to it, not just the way characters act or how they turn out or who was at fault or was anybody, but like, the political nuance The palpable tension as the film progresses where you feel the whole country getting pulled taut like a bowstring, the infuriating lack of kindness shown to these children. The kids are shown mercy where it can be spared, and these are all just people making their choices in hard times. At the same time, there are big parts of the film that feel angrier at Japan than at the bombers. When Seita's out looting and he cheers at the plane overhead, loving. wow. lol. They did that.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 4, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i live for this poo poo

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

As far as bracing, realistic, frank and at times heartbreakingly sweet portraits of life on the ground at Japan at the time, in anime, you've got In This Corner of the World and what else?
Giovanni's Island.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Love this kid desperately trying to tell his boss he became a protagonist but getting interrupted with work

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Love this kid desperately trying to tell his boss he became a protagonist but getting interrupted with work

he's incredibly dutiful and we love him for it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm glad they got Mark Hamill back for another one of these dubs, he's so good as this smug shithead

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Could do without all the grown men making gaga eyes at this child but hey at least she's getting her chores done out of it

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the kitchen scene ftl

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's especially weird that they fell in love with her because she was wearing their mom's pants

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Solid little adventure movie!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

CannonFodder posted:

Seeing the list like that really shows how many of his movies involved flying.

On this note, I am a perennial enjoyer of On Your Mark, the (EDIT: a) short film he made. Everyone else should check it out, too (it's on the internets, because it isn't available anywhere else, even though that makes him mad).

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Castle in the Sky ruled and is probably my favorite so far.

I watched it with the original score (I didn't know about the new one) and it worked pretty well.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
PSA: there's going to be screenings of Spirited Away starting Halloween weekend at select theaters.

I didn't know this thread existed until recently, but I've been having fun seeing Miyazaki's films in theater. I wasn't aware they were doing a revival thing all year, but I managed to catch the last few. Princess Mononoke is still amazing.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Jumping into this late, starting with Cagliostro because I'd never seen it before:
Really fun. Just a good old-school cartoon where the rules of physics don't always apply and the bad guys couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Loved the supporting characters, too. I guess this isn't the first Lupin movie; it really did feel like being dropped into a story already in progress but not like you were missing anything, just that these guys had already had plenty of other adventures.
Sure didn't expect the Count to go out like that.
Definitely worth watching again. I had to, uh, borrow this copy from the internet and it only had subtitles. With luck one of the stores nearby with anime will have a physical copy so I can watch a dub- I get a little ADD with movies and miss things, especially if I have to be watching the entire time because of subs.

Skipping Nausicaa because I watched it again a few months ago and frankly don't love it. If we're just going by the Hayao Miyazaki movies, I'd put it on the bottom of my list. Hell, something has to be on the bottom, right? Literally can't have a list without ends.

Castle in the Sky: about this one I have the conflicting opinions that it's too long by about half an hour, and that I love the film's various settings so much I want to spend more time in them. Like this could have been broken up into several episodes and then expanded: that fantastic opening scene and everything in the lovely canyon mining town that's all smokestacks and tunnels and train tracks that'll take years to repair goddamnit, and buildings on cliff walls which is such a Ghibli thing, then the underground and Sheeta being imprisoned in the fortress ending with their busting her out of there, then an episode on the airship, and finally an entire episode on Laputa itself. Like if anyone had the fuckin audacity to remake a Miyazaki movie, that's how I'd do this one, turning it into a miniseries.
I probably should have rewatched Nausicaa because I think there's a ton of commonalities between that movie and this one, though as far as I'm concerned this is still superior to Nausicaa in most ways if not every way.
We got a ton of Miyazaki hallmarks in this one, starting with the totally innocent relationship between the two leads that I think any other studio would have turned into something more romantic (especially considering the level of violence in the movie makes it definitely not for young kids- even if we rarely if at all explicitly see anyone get hurt, I'm sure there's more explosions in this one than any other Ghibli joint except probably Fireflies which I don't have a good memory of), nature overtaking technology on the abandoned and semi-ruined Laputa, and even if it's not explicitly anti-war in that there isn't a war going on to denounce, it's obviously anti-weaponry and the military are the bad guys. And, of course, plenty of flight.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 15, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Pootybutt posted:

Her simple kindness, more than simply not fighting, feels like her most celebrated virtue. Sure is an exciting action movie, tho(that I tend to doze off or pause somewhere around the last third cuz this flick really doesn't stop until it ends after a certain point, if ya understand me.)
It's not just kindness or pacifism. It's the fact she was the only one who understood the world correctly. Nausicaa was firmly convinced that the bugs had a proper place in the world and nobody else believed her, while to Nausicaa it was plain as day even though she couldnt prove it. Yaga even uselessly sums up what just happened as a mathematical/formulaic sacrifice narrative until the (incredible) last sixty seconds of the movie where nausicaa wasnt just an especially nice person, she was the only correct one and what looked like stubborn denial of reality on her part (if you're a yucky grown up) is completely vindicated. No one else could see it the same way Yaga couldnt see the obvious until the very end.

(this is my favorite ghibli btw)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 16, 2023

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Watched Totoro last and man what an absolutely charming film.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay but hear me out, their dad is very cute.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

It's not just kindness or pacifism. It's the fact she was the only one who understood the world correctly. Nausicaa was firmly convinced that the bugs had a proper place in the world and nobody else believed her, while to Nausicaa it was plain as day even though she couldnt prove it. Yaga even uselessly sums up what just happened as a mathematical/formulaic sacrifice narrative until the (incredible) last sixty seconds of the movie where nausicaa wasnt just an especially nice person, she was the only correct one and what looked like stubborn denial of reality on her part (if you're a yucky grown up) is completely vindicated. No one else could see it the same way Yaga couldnt see the obvious until the very end.

(this is my favorite ghibli btw)

I got that and it's another facet to why the film's themes don't convince me. I'm happy it works for other people

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Boy Totoro is a breezy movie

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Waffleman_ posted:

Boy Totoro is a breezy movie

Yeah, what can I say about Totoro. Totoro is comfort. It is a big fluffy blanket of a movie that, nearly 30 years after the first time I saw it, I still love to wrap myself in. I suppose the first time you see it, there might be a little tension as you're not sure if May is okay near the end there (sidebar: especially if you were watching it just after Grave of the Fireflies, jfc. I actually did just watch Fireflies for the first time in maybe 10 years the other day and I'm happy to report: still fuckin devastating!) but on the hundredth rewatch it's like, you know she's gonna be fine, and so is their mom, and Totoro is their big ol pal that will watch over them even after they stop being able to see him, and why can't the stupid real world be more like this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Phil Hartman as Jiji is so good