Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I watched Nausicaä and Mononoke this week. Both are great of course but I feel that Mononoke works better as a film using the same ideas. Even though it's the longer of the two movies I think it makes better use of its runtime.

I'd like to read the Nausicaä graphic novel because the setting and tale are amazing. I just want more than what made it into the movie. As others have said, the way Hideaki Anno animated the giant warrior was intense and appropriately pitiful. Nothing glorious about this allegory of the atom bomb. The synthesizers and drum machines in the soundtrack are dope.

Mononoke hits me a lot harder thanks to the unbelievably serene score and the gravity with which the violence is rendered. Ashitaka is also perfectly heroic, like Nausicaä. Every bad thing that happens to him comes from defending others and self sacrifice. He's ready to leave his village forever at a moment's notice to protect them and the music of that sequence knocks me out. The dub has Billy Bob Thornton as Jigo the Monk and I think he does a great job reinforcing that duplicitous charm in him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I watched Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns , the latter being a lighthearted side adventure featuring the cats from the former. Whisper of the Heart wasn't directed by Miyazaki but it was written and storyboarded by him. I gotta say, I don't know why people don't talk about this one as much. I thought it was incredible. I was really expecting it to be a fantastical adventure but what I got instead was a purely grounded coming of age romance (The preview image for the movie on HBO shows the main character flying with The Baron, a fancy suit wearing cat.) The song Country Roads plays a big part in the movie, and I really don't like that song, but here it's used so well. Also this movie has the original chill beats to relax and study to girl.

The Cat Returns is a cute little movie. Not even feature length. Tim Curry plays the King of Cats in the dub and he's hilariously grotesque. I can see why this was only really on home video in the states given it's shortness. Still it's a very high quality animated film.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I watched Pom Poko. I was absolutely not ready for the stone cold testicular bloodbath in this kid's movie. I figured the violence was all in good fun up until a certain point :stare: It's still a pretty charming movie. I love the parade sequence. Also the dub has most of the cast of Futurama doing the voices.