Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He also wrote three without directing them and worked on a few TV series.

I'm gonna go for Thursdays or Fridays, my work schedule willing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Haven't been on Netflix in a hair, do they still have the ghibli catalog up there? Which dub of Cagliostro do they have? The Hayter dub or the one where Lupin is called Wolf?

They do outside the US

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I got my 2006 Manga Video DVD with no disc art, double sided disc, and the fake quote from Spielberg ready and waiting for when I have time

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

loling at the fact that Discotek's BD of Cagliostro was originally supposed to have a fully playable version of Cliff Hanger, the arcade FMV game made out of the movie, but the only thing that stopped them was missing VA contracts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Still a dope-rear end car chase.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's so funny how 95% of all Lupin movies and specials after Cagliostro are so transparently trying to make Clarisse happen again

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also it was extremely funny the day I learned that one of the most iconic Touhou fansongs was essentially built on a Cagliostro reference

Good movie. Kinda basic, kinda simple, but it works.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He stole the precious thing!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Love this kid desperately trying to tell his boss he became a protagonist but getting interrupted with work

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm glad they got Mark Hamill back for another one of these dubs, he's so good as this smug shithead

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Could do without all the grown men making gaga eyes at this child but hey at least she's getting her chores done out of it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's especially weird that they fell in love with her because she was wearing their mom's pants

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Solid little adventure movie!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay but hear me out, their dad is very cute.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Boy Totoro is a breezy movie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Phil Hartman as Jiji is so good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kiki's fun, kinda the same track as Totoro in being a laid back thing in a nice setting, but with a bit more meat on its bones.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1718580972206113245?t=98waGZVXlIzv3SBb09iSZQ&s=19

A timely entry in the yearly Mundane Halloween

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Part of me knows Oda was inspired in some way by Porco Rosso because its world feels like One Piece with the endless sea, a bunch of islands, pirates

E: lmao this movie got jokes, huh?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 31, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

S tier

What the hell

How had I never seen this before

So good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lady Eboshi.....please call me.....

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Haku is like the perfect early 2000s anime heartthrob

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wtf he did Lady Eboshi twice

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God Chihiro is so expressive. There's definitely a tangible shift in the vibe of these movies at this point

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This movie animates sludge and gunk and slime so well it's disgusting

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Spirited Away was the one that got a MASSIVE push in the west, because it had John Lasseter and Disney behind it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sophie went to the beach that makes you old

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, Ponyo has good backgrounds

E: Oh, this is actually a beautiful-rear end movie

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 25, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I liked that it had a bit more story than Totoro but also it's just hard to beat such an iconic movie, even if a small part of me thinks it can be a bit dull.

Also yes, I love Lisa

https://twitter.com/thebeesneeze/status/1419108956211793926

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

12 minutes into Wind Rises and I'm already just about in tears, I love this movie so much

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I loving FORGOT WERNER HERZOG WAS IN THIS MOVIE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So back when The Wind Rises first came out, back when it actually was Miyazaki's Last Movie, I had immediately pegged it as partly Miyazaki having a conversation with himself on his life as a creator, the things he has created, and the legacy he leaves behind, particularly in the dream scenes with Caproni, and that really resonated with me. I was partly worried that now that it was no longer Miyazaki's Last Movie, that aspect of the movie would be weakened, but nope. Is it a bit of a slow, deliberate movie? Yeah. Is it super eventful? Not compared to his other sort of action and adventure type movies.

But I dunno

It just kinda hits for me, man.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Boy and the Heron I feel has a lot more to...chew on than Miyazaki's other works. Abstract, kinda cryptic. Lotta layers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cephas posted:

Boy and the Heron was a really good movie, very dark. The first half hour or so (up until they get sucked down through the floor) had me entirely in rapture. Still a strong movie, but the scope of that early part of the film is told so lucidly and with such intensity.

I wasn't expecting it to be so much like Night on the Galactic Railroad meets Pan's Labyrinth. It's a strange movie, because I feel like the diagetic mysteries of the story and setting compel a rewatch, but the thematic takeaways are basically out in the open (it is a movie titled "how do you live?" after all).

The thing that I really loved the most about the movie is that it's so willing to just lean into being an art film. The wound at the beginning, or the swarms of animals--there's such a force to the visual metaphor, they are so arresting.

I think this will be compared frequently to Princess Mononoke for being a dark and violent fantasy, but imo it is very much a direct evolution from The Wind Rises. Except that The Wind Rises may be aimed at an older generation while The Boy and the Heron is aimed at a younger generation. They are both about the connection between art and civilization. About the folly of trying to create uncontaminated art in a contaminated world, and how that very impulse somehow is a shadow of the impulse to control and order society through violence.

Yeah, it's very much a similarly introspective movie to The Wind Rises and I dig it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Where The Wind Rises felt like a film being made by a man at the end of his career, The Boy and the Heron feels like a film made by a man who is nearing the end of his life.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

*RPatx voice* MAHITOOOOOOOO

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

*RPatx voice* MAHITOOOOOOOO

YOUR MOTHER

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Because I haven't praised the dub enough, I thought Christian Bale was really fun as Mahito's dad. It didn't feel like anyone was phoning it in. Even Bautista, who was pretty close to his natural voice, brought a good performance. It really felt like GKIDS and the crew at NYAV knew they had a lot to prove because while they've been doing Ghibli for a while, this was their first new Miyazaki.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A lot of those posts are fake, he never said "Anime was a mistake"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/JEBermanator/status/1734345041798377495?s=20