Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been revisiting all of Miyazaki's stuff throughout the year since thanks to Ghiblifest they get theatrical showings and since a new Miyazaki movie is out this year they've only been doing Miyazaki movies this year.

A lot of fun seeing them in a crowd, except when I saw Porco Rosso and a guy yelled "ooooh!" in a pervy way when Fio took off her engineer clothes to take a swim. I hope he stubbed his toe on the way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ohtori Akio posted:

Half the point of that movie is not to be weird to nice young ladies when you're a washed up old guy...........Marco would have beat his rear end.

:hai: and he'd do it honorably too, even though the guy was being a creep

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Just a heads up that over the next 5 days Howl's Moving Castle will be playing in theaters as part of Ghiblifest. I'm definitely gonna try to find the time to catch it, been awhile since I've last seen it and what better way to revisit it than the big screen.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caught a Spirited Away showing last night. Still an incredible movie but I don't fully connect with it emotionally as much as my other favorite Miyazaki movies. But that's just some quibbling, merely saying that I don't like this 5 star film as much as his other 5 star films.

Though I do wanna say that in the time since I last watched it, I have seen a decent number of anime movies that very much wanted to follow in Spirited Away's footsteps to middling results, and in seeing some pale imitators* it really makes it easier for me to appreciate Spirited Away. Just goes to show that there's so much care in developing Spirited Away's world that Miyazaki merely makes it look easy.

*A specific roast that has been stuck in my mind ever since I read it is the time Indiewire critic David Ehrlich said that the anime movie Okko's Inn "unfolds like a Kidz Bop cover of Spirited Away".