Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I can definitely accept that if Miyazaki had a passionate personal message to get across, it's fine and worthwhile that he did that rather than making something that appealed to my sensibilities. Porco Rosso already exists so he's done me a hell of a solid already.

I also agree that there is an intense contemplative energy to Mahito That is interesting in the first half, his kurtness, his wordless angry relationship with the heron, The way we see his issues at school play out without dialogue. That's all good stuff told visually.

Still though, This movie didn't so much "kill me" as I did find it underwhelming past the first act. I place a lot of importantance on characters and their relationships in fiction, and while there are many interesting philosophical ideas that All of us in the thread are picking up on, I never got all that attached or felt like I had an understanding for any of the relationships. Why does the stepmom hate Mahito? Why does he accept her as his mother? Why doesn't he ever seem affected or interested in the fact that he has a chance to connect with this isolated and preserved instance of his dead mother? I feel like the most developed relationship is between Mahito and the Heron, and even that feels like it resolves in a rushed way I didn't understand. These are all things that I kept waiting on, and in concept at least I was invested in.

Because it's the most recent movie I've seen in the theaters, I keep comparing it to Godzilla Minus One, which obviously has much different ambitions than Heron, but I got so sucked into that movie because I understood the relationships between all the characters and I cared about how the events of the story affected said relationships. I can't say the same for this one

I don't know, this all reminds me of discussions I've had with my friends about Dark Souls 2 and how partially the negativity we hoist onto it is because of its loaded name- being a sequel to something that we have high praise for. My friend will say after all of his criticisms that it's "still better than most games released that year," and I have a similar sentiment towards this movie. I'm not going to call it bad because that would be severely misleading, it's not bad, it's much more well-made than nearly everything else in theaters right now. Still though, it just didn't land for me.

It is fun and interesting to analyze it with all of you though!

I think some of your questions have answers I could get from the film, but even those felt a little too lightly sketched to have proper impact.

His aunt hated him because he never accepted her. He was a living symbol that she would never be anything other than a pale substitute for her sister. Oh, her husband said he loved her, they might have a child together, but his real flesh and blood is her sister's son, the boy who refuses to accept her as a mother, even when she reached out. He, in turn, eventually accepts her because he recognizes how much the rejection hurt her, and because he's finally been able to settle things with his mother.

I compared it to Minus 1 because they're both WWII era and it was the last film I saw, and Minus One was astoundingly good, but the film that felt like it was the most interesting comparison for me was Suzume. Shinkai got the whole "Next Miyazaki" rep, and lived up to it better than most (even if he did that by rejecting the Miyazaki aesthetic and making films that were distinctly his), which makes it kind of funny they both made movies this year about young people using time travel to cope with the loss of their mothers during a national tragedy, while also dealing with being raised by an aunt. Suzume, though, felt more centered, even if it took a while for the center to show. Meanwhile, there were aspects of this (like the father's role) that felt incomplete. Too focused on to be background, but not central enough to satisfy.

Gotta say, Mahito is one of the least inquisitive characters I've seen in these things. As I was watching, I thought he was either really observant quick on the uptake, or really thick, and either way he was shockingly quiet about what he thought about things. Turned out to be category 1, but it still made for an unusual watch.

Glad I saw it, and I think it's a good movie, but... well, I'll want more time for it to settle, but the odd structure of the film meant that a lot didn't have the impact that it could have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Except the babies.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

The Nausicaa manga is wonderful and is several times longer than the movie goes into interesting places

It also has a very different role for Kushana, with her taking a co-protagonist position by the end, rather than being the primary antagonist. (She even gets some beats that Anno would reference for Asuka.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, there's been plenty of talk about things like the next Spielberg or someone taking over Zelda from Miyamoto. If you carve a big enough niche, people speculate about what happens when you get out of the game.