Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The other half of the movie is how awesome it is to start with a dogfight and end with a fistfight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haven't been on Netflix in a hair, do they still have the ghibli catalog up there? Which dub of Cagliostro do they have? The Hayter dub or the one where Lupin is called Wolf?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

They do outside the US

Good cuz I'm in Canuckistan

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Better a pig than a fascist.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's carried a lot by its soundtrack, which is a big standout among the collection of Hisaishi standouts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think I'm going to try the dubbed version tomorrow for a matinee. The godzilla Minus One showing had a preview for the English release and the dub sounded pretty impressive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just got out of the theater. I'll have to mull it over some more. While I certainly enjoyed it I'm not sure if it even cracks top 5 Miyazaki films for me. As an exercise in metaphor and raw filmmaking it's second to none, but count me among those who greatly enjoyed the contemplative pace of the first act over the rest of the movie.

Also because I just saw Godzilla Minus One it was kind of funny to me how the film ends with Mahito saying that two years after the war ended they went back to Tokyo... right as Minus-One Goji is about to shitwreck Ginza

EDIT:
Having thought on it for a couple more hours I was rather let down by most of the character interactions past the first act. A lot of the quiet introspection that spoke where words weren't necessary felt like it was missing from the rest of the film particularly Mahito's really scant interactions with Himi. I never quite felt that their relationship was fully developed.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Been thinking about Princess Mononoke again and I think that what stands out to me the most about the film after the music is just how hard it goes on its presentation to truly embrace the term "Epic". Plenty of things can be considered epic, depending on how you use the word, but it absolutely feels to me like one of the few animated films that really goes for epic in the sense of the grand hollywood epics of the 50s and 60s in a way I can't really say I've seen outside of The Prince of Egypt.

It's hard to put into words but there's this undercurrent through the whole film of presenting every moment as the most important thing ever, that you are witness to a spectacle. The Boy and the Heron will flex and show you some of the most mind boggling and complex animation you will ever see for the most mundane of actions and it looks incredible, but it doesn't carry that same intent as mononoke, if that makes sense. It treats its incredible animation more as a statement of fact, i.e. "this is the way this looks, so of course we'd make it look as good as possible" while Mononoke goes hard on that aforementioned sense of "everything you are seeing is meant to astound you and embrace the scale of all existence".

I dunno if that makes sense or if my reading is off, but from a presentation standpoint that was my takeaway and a big reason why Princess Mononoke sticks with me so much. It wants to be noticed and it will scream to the heavens to make sure it is seen.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 26, 2023