Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i must confess i've only seen Spirited Away (and even then only as a stupid child who didnt think it was as epic and funny as Ed Edd N Eddy and Fairly Odd Parents were), Cagliostro, and like half of Totoro, so i'm practically obligated. i'll also be stickying this when i can think of a less fail title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also if anyone was like me and had to look up release order,

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio posted:

added to op

:cheerdoge:

gonna see if my partner is up for Cagliostro tonight since idk if they've seen any Ghibli films before. get a head start on dis bitch

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

that works i think

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio posted:

its aids bitch

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

gonna see if my partner is up for Cagliostro tonight since idk if they've seen any Ghibli films before. get a head start on dis bitch

update: they've seen more than i have. i am humbled. started a Cagliostro re-watch

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Cagliostro rewatch finished. watched the dub this time by accident and it was pretty solid aside from a couple of lame joke deliveries. not holding that against the movie itself tho which is still as goofy a caper as i remember, i really need to check out anything else Lupin the III cuz Lupin himself is ftw. it really does feel like proto-Miyazaki in a weird way, still has mostly that rough-yet-charming animation style of the era but a lot of the still and panning shots are pure Ghibli beauty. my partner actually had seen it before and just forgot til like 20 minutes in and they still really liked it on rewatch too. that being said i feel like it'll rate toward the lower end of the Miyazaki tierlist once it's all said and done, not cuz i dislike much about it but it deffo feels like a different sorta film compared to the other Miyazaki stuff i've watched and am going to watch. Nausicaa next week, maybe even tomorrow...who knows

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio posted:

it really is funny how it'll be goofy bullshit with a hot jazz soundtrack one second and a beautiful panning landscape the next

lol yeah, tho i never felt whiplash from it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

watched Nausicaa, unlike Cagliostro i haven't seen it before and it definitely felt a lot more Ghibli. a ton of showcasing landscapes but there were also a lot of intricacies in the animation i loved like the woven texture of the tapestry early on or the sludge melting effect on the giant warrior toward the end. the movie itself wasn't what i expected going in, a lot slower paced in the middle than i anticipated after the carnage and combat that happened in the first third but i didn't mind that since it helped convey that sense of eerie alien wonderment that i got from like the first five minutes of the film. i joked with my partner it felt like Ghibli characters and color palette in a Giger world but honestly that ended up feeling very apt, just this grotesque barren beauty of a post-apoc Earth. also the music wasn't what i expected for the most part but it worked almost too well i think lol. i guess if i have any criticisms it's that the story seems almost too focused given how the world is, if that makes sense; what you see is what you get basically. but that's just me finding something to nitpick i think since i liked it a whole lot

not gonna pump out a tiermaker til the end but ranking them for now,

Nausicaa
Cagliostro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Cephas posted:

The giant warrior was animated by Hideaki Anno and and is one of the real standout moments in the movie for me. Just so gnarly and completely sells the dread that's been building the whole movie about what the people and planet are at risk of repeating. In terms of the story vs. the world... The manga goes much, much further with the world and the story than the movie does. To the point that I'd almost describe the movie as a truncated, fairytale rendition of the manga, which is truly an epic.

oh drat i had no idea there was a manga too, that's rad