Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just got out of Boy and the Heron

It doesn’t quite have the hooks of his previous films. You never feel like you have a strong grasp of what’s happening or why, so you might feel lost halfway through because there isn’t quite as clear of a narrative chain going through it.

But now that I’ve left the theater it feels like Miyazaki’s Tempest. The magician “breaks his staff and drowns his spell books” at the end so to speak

It’s a retrospective of Ghibli’s filmography where it references past Ghibli characters and settings, very intentional references to shots from past films. And the ending is pre-emptively depicting the end of Miyazaki’s career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay here’s my big blindfolded swing at the piñata, feel free to laugh at me if I miss

Great grand uncle is Hayao Miyazaki

Meteor is the spark of inspiration

Great grand uncle builds a tower and tunnel system around the meteor, Ghibli Studio

Stacking blocks every few days to maintain the magic phenomena represents a respect for the day to day tedium and work required to be creative.

Great grand uncle is looking for a successor in his bloodline

Mahito is Goro

Mahito doesn’t consider himself an appropriate choice for taking over. I feel like the film is absolving Goro of any blame of there not being a successor at Ghibli. Maybe there’s nobody to blame, if there’s no good choice for successor, that’s just life.

The parakeets do not respect the block stacking (the work required to maintain the magic) and the entire system falls apart. I don’t know what the parakeets represent other than a very broad criticism of people who want to reap benefits and do none of the work.

The pocket dimension into the past and future is the world of films, which depict events both past and future.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 10, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
References to other films, which lead me to think this is a self-referential movie about Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli:

Siren arrow from Mononoke

Tunnel through hedges from Totoro

Little poofy critters from Totoro and Mononoke

Fighter plane windshields from The Wind Rises

Old lady from Howls Moving Castle

Cooking scene from Howl

There’s a ton more I forgot

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Something about your read makes me wonder though, what is meant to be evoked by the maternal characters in the movie? That feels so central to the plot and Mahito's internal conflict but I can't tie it to this thesis about creativity

No idea and I dont think I know enough Miyazaki lore to take a guess

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Producer says Mahito is a self insert for Hayao Miyazaki:

https://ew.com/the-boy-and-the-heron-tributes-studio-ghibli-founders-8409403

Who knows!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I can feel my brain expanding with every post

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Gonna need to see it a second time to catch all the stuff you guys are pointing out

A friend pointed out how water was used for symbolism, drowning in grief, still during peace, crashing waves during turmoil

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, definitely gonna get this on Blu-ray

I think the textual story is a little hard to follow because the movie seems so preoccupied with subtext but boy there’s so much to dig into

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7310409145377770794

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A lot of times on-camera actors get cast into dubbing just for their name and it turns out they suck at voice acting, but Robert Pattinson is not one of them

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7310987371305045291

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Reusing stuff from previous films was very intentional and, I think, a way to say “this is about Ghibli, our past and future”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Owl at Home posted:

I've been turning the movie over in my mind a lot since seeing it on Sunday, and the more I think about it the more I see the parakeets as an extended metaphor for the fans/viewers. Thoughts?

Yeah id been mulling this over too, esp in light of the posts about how Miyazaki wondered if anime was living up to being the force for social good he wanted it to be

The parakeets are brought into this magical world of imagination, are captive in it, become molded by the tower master. But they just want the end product and have no respect for the work that goes into it (the block stacking)

I doubt this is about all fans, just the otaku he seems to have concerns about

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

A lot of those posts are fake, he never said "Anime was a mistake"

Sure sure sure

But the real quote is pretty illuminating about his feelings in this movie

Although he’s talking about industry colleagues and not fans here, the core problem is an obsession with fantasy and separation from reality

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 13, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The Nausicaa manga is wonderful and is several times longer than the movie goes into interesting places

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Bald Stalin posted:

Why is there a lot of talk about Successors for Miyazaki? There aren't discussions about successors to other writers, directors, producers and other creatives. Is anime the differentiator?

I'm working my way through all of his films starting from the oldest, I have seen quite a few but missed some til now, and God dam why did I wait so long to watch castle in the sky and kiki? Magical stuff. Don't quite get the lupin love, though.

Boy and the heron was amazing. I didn't understand the aunt/mother stuff either but other posters itt cleared it up for me. One of this best.

People worry ghibli will wither without Miyazaki in a way they don’t worry about other studios that have a deep bench of directors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Comrade Fakename posted:

and has managed to drive away any potential protégé, and in one case arguably murdered them.

I would like to know about the murder. Was it worked to death like in Amadeus