Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Strong post Cephas, I really like the insight and ideas you presented to how they map onto the visual story of the film.

I liked it in that I enjoy a Miyazaki/Ghibli product on a basic level. The film was gorgeous, the soundtrack was wonderful, and it created a lot of fantastic images for my brain to soak up. Plot/story wise I felt like it was kinda thin and a retread of other themes he's tackled before. I don't want to call anything he or the studio does "lazy", but this film felt a lot to me like he's running out of steam creatively and revisited visuals/sets/ideas he's had before and kinda mashed them all together. I saw a lot of Totoro/Spirited Away/Howl's Moving Castle in terms of character design and visual elements that I would have almost expected more from. As my friend I saw it with commented "film is about 80% vibes and 20% other stuff to connect the vibes". Most of the film felt like he had some visual ideas he wanted to apply and used this as a vehicle to glide from one to another. Not the strongest Ghibli film, I think I would agree with whoever said it would be hard to recommend not knowing a fair bit about him as an artist and his prior works, I think its a bit dense with what its doing for a lay person to walk in and pick up on it all.

e: I can buy the revisiting of visuals was intentional, but it did not resonate or add to the film for me. Maybe thats on my expectations, but it just didn't land the same as other Ghibli films did from an awe and wonder perspective, at least for me, partially because of the revisited pieces.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU