Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

If you haven't seen it, you must experience the Linus Tech Tips guy finding out live on air what "Hard R" means:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFDiuBomSuY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I saw a bunch of them last week. Fingerprints show up really easily, they all had smears of handprints around the handles.

Please tell me that one had stopped working and the others gathered around the injured herd member

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Captain Hygiene posted:

:yeshaha:

Also, I was mildly surprised to find out the Cybertruck has the most normal-rear end sounding car horn. I'm sure they just cheaped out and grabbed whatever was on the shelf, but I would've guessed Elon would've gone for something gimmicky/bigger and m a n l i e r sounding.

Like llama sound #7?
https://www.soundboard.com/sb/Llama_sounds_audio

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Mr.Radar posted:

If you haven't seen it, you must experience the Linus Tech Tips guy finding out live on air what "Hard R" means:

This is what I always think when I hear "hard R." Does the... hardness of the R actually mean anything? Surely it doesn't? It's just a joke, right? Or are there actually people who argue that if you alter the very last part of the last syllable just slightly then it's okay to say?

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
No it's just that it's objectively worse because it signals more intent than, "but it's in the song! Why can't I say it?!"

EDIT: Splitting hairs here, don't use that word in any form ok

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
As someone that's had to live in the south, yes there is absolutely intention meant with a hard hit on the last syllable. Any pronunciation is bad, but there's a certain brand of bigot that wants to make sure that you know they really mean it

Lol, efb by an almost identical post while trying to figure out how to word it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Don't hear many rappers use the Hard R when referring to themselves or compatriots by the N-Word so there is some difference.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This would be the most positive cybertruck selling point for me so far, not gonna lie

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

credburn posted:

This is what I always think when I hear "hard R." Does the... hardness of the R actually mean anything? Surely it doesn't? It's just a joke, right? Or are there actually people who argue that if you alter the very last part of the last syllable just slightly then it's okay to say?

There's definitely a difference in tone when people say the hard R, but I'm a white dude, so I'm not saying either version. But yeah, you can hear the difference in tone. Like the difference between a friendly "what's up my [soft r, closer to an a]" and "what's up [hard r]" which is closer to a personal threat.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

are there actually people who argue that-

You can pretty much complete this sentence with anything, and the answer will always be yes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

aas Bandit posted:

You can pretty much complete this sentence with anything, and the answer will always be yes.

What? No there's not.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_scfsdsa9WI1qejbir.mp4

SpacePig posted:

A man is embarrassed after being caught on camera enjoying a silly song.
a silly song about buttfuckin'

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Captain Hygiene posted:

What? No there's not.

Are there actually people who argue this?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Mr.Radar posted:

That cohost's face when Linus says he used to drop the hard R always cracks me up. Took some guts to speak up, good on him.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Glottis posted:

That cohost's face when Linus says he used to drop the hard R always cracks me up. Took some guts to speak up, good on him.

To be fair, I've never heard the phrase before today and had to look it up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hippocrass posted:

To be fair, I've never heard the phrase before today and had to look it up.

Are you not American? Hard R is a pretty well known term on this side of the Atlantic.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

What does this mean in Korea?

Been a long time since I've thought about Tokyo Breakfast :japan:

Air Skwirl posted:

There's definitely a difference in tone when people say the hard R, but I'm a white dude, so I'm not saying either version. But yeah, you can hear the difference in tone. Like the difference between a friendly "what's up my [soft r, closer to an a]" and "what's up [hard r]" which is closer to a personal threat.

I can't find the clip (and searching for it is getting real weird) but this is explicitly called out in a scene in the Wire when a from Africa African uses it with a black dude in Baltimore.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

Are you not American? Hard R is a pretty well known term on this side of the Atlantic.

I can see how someone would mix it up. It's an allusion to a slur but when you think "R slur" there is more than one. And because we're trying not to say exactly what it means there's room for confusion.

If someone is trying to not say or do hurtful things and they get mixed up that doesn't really feel like a problem.

wash bucket has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Apr 25, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SpacePig posted:

A man is embarrassed after being caught on camera enjoying a silly song.

Also for some reason the singer is dressed like Lupin the Third.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

steinrokkan posted:

Good news, it won't take 6 months. Bad news, we will have to scrap your car because we don't know how to fix the bespoke panels, also this isn't covered by your insurance or warranty

Wouldn't the driver of the semi be at fault and have to cover the costs?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Been a long time since I've thought about Tokyo Breakfast :japan:

I can't find the clip (and searching for it is getting real weird) but this is explicitly called out in a scene in the Wire when a from Africa African uses it with a black dude in Baltimore.

African immigrants saying it is so weird to me because it's like "I'm not sure you're allowed to say it either." But also I'm not going to be the person to correct them. Just give me a White racist I can shout down and show myself as an ally.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Air Skwirl posted:

African immigrants saying it is so weird to me because it's like "I'm not sure you're allowed to say it either." But also I'm not going to be the person to correct them. Just give me a White racist I can shout down and show myself as an ally.

Why would you post this

It’s not a bad view, per se, but why would you step into this arena and express an opinion

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm from medium town Canada.

I get the concept now that I've looked it up, I've just never encountered the phrase.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Enderzero posted:

Why would you post this

It’s not a bad view, per se, but why would you step into this arena and express an opinion

I work at a job with a lot of people from a lot of different places and I sometimes forget people who aren't white can also say weird racist poo poo.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Air Skwirl posted:

I work at a job with a lot of people from a lot of different places and I sometimes forget people who aren't white can also say weird racist poo poo.

Yeah, I get that. I’m just saying having an opinion on what populations can use what language gets realll tricky quick, especially coming from white people

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Air Skwirl posted:

I live in a place with white people and very few not-white people who don't say word regardless; the "hard R / soft R" thing I've only ever heard spoken of here on somethingawful, but it's done so in such a way that it must be a thing elsewhere. But not around where I am :shrug:

I bet this would have been a conversation I would have had as a teenager, though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

there was that teacher (old white guy) idk 20 years ago who got fired for saying the n-word in class. he was then interviewed and did a whole defense about hard/soft R, i think he even had a whiteboard to demonstrate the difference lmao

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

A strategy worthy of Papa John himself

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

credburn posted:

I live in a place with white people and very few not-white people who don't say word regardless; the "hard R / soft R" thing I've only ever heard spoken of here on somethingawful, but it's done so in such a way that it must be a thing elsewhere. But not around where I am :shrug:

I bet this would have been a conversation I would have had as a teenager, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOr-NbrT19s&t=57s

KoRMaK has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Apr 25, 2024

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Wow, thank you for posting a video that's just an excuse to say slurs over and over again, I'm sure people love your comedy and you're not all alone in the world as a miserable little poo poo

E: edited to remove the video link from the quote because i forgot to

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Apr 25, 2024

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

nah i didn't post that one, because for the same reasons you pointed out i thought better of it.

but view it not as comedy, but as an exploration of race and bigotry from the perspective of a person of color in the states

KoRMaK has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Apr 25, 2024

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
We are all missing the fact that the graffiti artist could well have diagetically intended to have the Hard R, either as a slur against the owner of the store/building, or just to be an edgelord hooligan

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Sentient Data posted:

Wow, thank you for posting a video that's just an excuse to say slurs over and over again, I'm sure people love your comedy and you're not all alone in the world as a miserable little poo poo

E: edited to remove the video link from the quote because i forgot to

nice meltdown

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm from California. I had no idea that that meant that.

For me it meant mental disabilities.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

If an R was hard would it look like this?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Ok, then tell an admin to bring the n-word sexual-f-word video back from his edit and to ban me because if that video is welcome in this thread, then it is not anywhere i want to exist

:toxx:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hihohe posted:

If an R was hard would it look like this?

No. No, it would not

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

Ok, then tell an admin to bring the n-word sexual-f-word video back from his edit and to ban me because if that video is welcome in this thread, then it is not anywhere i want to exist

:toxx:
do you always get this wierd about the output of black artists? or is I just when they say stuff you disapprove of?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I don't even know what video you're mad about but I'm sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Has anyone seen a video of a guy being hit in the balls recently?