Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CainFortea posted:

It is beer. All beer tastes like piss water.

Hahaha, this invites an argument about IPAs, stouts and such.

Lager is piss but at least it's cold piss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7_CpPNgCYw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'll post a few favorites I've collected over the years.

https://i.imgur.com/yitp1E2.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/zNCKOQn.mp4

Andy is a comedian, while Wolf and Dana are 2 news anchors on CNN

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Subjunctive posted:

Somewhere I have a well-reviewed British book about beer (Michael Jackson, I think), and the only thing I remember about it is that Budweiser got an ok-to-good rating as an example of Pilsner. Maybe just the export? I think the real lesson here is the Pilsner is just a lovely beer varietal.

Was this the American Budweiser, or the European Budweiser?

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Somewhere I have a well-reviewed British book about beer (Michael Jackson, I think), and the only thing I remember about it is that Budweiser got an ok-to-good rating as an example of Pilsner. Maybe just the export? I think the real lesson here is the Pilsner is just a lovely beer varietal.

This was in reference to "Budweiser Budvar", a completely different product from a different continent. One Adolphus Busch, familiar with the ancient and respected Czech beer named "Budweiser", stole the name for an inferior product that he then produced in Missouri. (As a result of this product-name confusion, Anheuser-Busch's product is sold -- to whom, I cannot rightly imagine -- in Europe under the abbreviated name "Bud".)

Also, pilsners are great, when they are made with care with good ingredients.

Beer Nerd ooouuuuut.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Still the most successful IRL sabering video I've ever seen.

Subjunctive posted:

American beer used to be on par with the rest of the world, then they started using poo poo-tier cheap ingredients during product shortages in WWII. By the time the war was over and they theoretically could have started using the good stuff again, Americans had gotten used to the taste so why go to the extra expense when people will willingly drink your piss. That's free money babyee :homebrew:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Takes No Damage posted:

American beer used to be on par with the rest of the world, then they started using poo poo-tier cheap ingredients during product shortages in WWII. By the time the war was over and they theoretically could have started using the good stuff again, Americans had gotten used to the taste so why go to the extra expense when people will willingly drink your piss. That's free money babyee :homebrew:

Repealing prohibition was a mistake.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
When it comes to craft beer, the rest of the world has a long way to catch up. Especially coming from Washington where there's tons of local beer everywhere you go. But Washington is also home to one of the best hops producing regions in the world, the Yakima Valley.

Having recently been to Germany, they have good beer for sure but I'd still pick a Washington beer instead if given a choice.

But when it comes to brands like Budweiser, just don't see the reason to buy cheap mass market beer at all. Of course it tastes like poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why have some wacky craft beer when you can have a good ol' fashioned lager?

It's not supposed to taste like much of anything.

It's supposed to go down smooth and easy so you can quickly and efficiently drink as many as possible.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Takes No Damage posted:

I think US beer was always worse. One problem with North America is that 6 row barley grows much better than 2 row barley typically used for beer. When German brewers started making beer in the US, the 6 row barley gave it a darker color, and they adjusted the recipe to make it lighter. Even pre Prohibition grain bills I've seen for home brewers use majority 6 row malt.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

caspergers posted:

How come is the new thread is in PYF instead of GBS?

https://i.imgur.com/qKuSp14.mp4

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Literally everything you can buy in America in a 12 pack or more sucks rear end, kegs excluded. It’s all an excuse for alcoholics, of which I am one.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Large Testicles posted:

Literally everything you can buy in America in a 12 pack or more sucks rear end, kegs excluded. It’s all an excuse for alcoholics, of which I am one.

Toilet paper

Yes I know what you "literally" meant

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
To be fair, drinking toilet paper does suck rear end

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I think you need to re-upload this. It skips and we miss a lot of the landing.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why have some wacky craft beer when you can have a good ol' fashioned lager?

It's not supposed to taste like much of anything.

It's supposed to go down smooth and easy so you can quickly and efficiently drink as many as possible.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

No beer is as quick or efficient as booze.

If you were serious about getting drunk you'd be doing shots of well vodka.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CainFortea posted:

No beer is as quick or efficient as booze.

If you were serious about getting drunk you'd be doing shots of well vodka.

If you're serious about getting drunk you're not going to drink anything. Stomach is very slow.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

They loving suck and I would totally fight those crabs to eat them.

they eat so many humans though, think of the prions

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

You can take the thread out of general bullshit...

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

The Lone Badger posted:

If you're serious about getting drunk you're not going to drink anything. Stomach is very slow.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/charges-dropped-in-sherry-enema-death-1826761.php

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

It's like you read my mind.

And yeah I've done this what of it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/729190711756324887/1155687836230635570/VID_20230924_210907_587.mp4

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

limp_cheese posted:

Andy is a comedian, while Wolf and Dana are 2 news anchors on CNN

Dana is Dana Delaney, an actress. But yes, watching Andy absolutely spank Wolf Blitzer was one of the best days of my life.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
Just lmao at all the butthurt losers who love hating IPA

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.

I was camping in Montana last week with my partner and my dogs when we took a wrong turn and our hiking trail turned into a backcountry trail that eventually just turned into game trails. We turned back and got the dogs some water at a stream we found when behind us suddenly was the sound of a very large tree breaking in half. My partner was already halfway up a hill and hiding in a hole at the base of a dead tree by the time I saw a 6' tall bull moose staring at me from about 5 feet away. I grabbed the dogs, started talking to the moose, and backed up the hill. We sat there for about 2 hours waiting for him to move on his way then started back towards camp. We ran into this motherfucker 3 more times, I guess he was going up into the woods and then circling back down to our trail. The last time we ran into him he was extremely unhappy and started screaming at us and flicking his dewlap towards us. We were sure he was about to charge and were getting ready to unleash our dogs and loving curl into a ball and die when some loggers a few miles away started up their chainsaws and equipment and scared him away. When we got back to camp we told the USGS guys as well as a bow hunter who was camped next to us. They all were extremely jealous and commented that there were a lot more moose and bears and a lot fewer elk this year. I don't think they understood we were terrified, but I have some cred with some strangers in Montana I guess.

Woodburger has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Sep 25, 2023

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
is schadenfreude really just 'enjoying bad things happening to people'? I thought it was more specific than that. maybe because I became familiar with the word from reading the bitcoin thread back in the day. whatever the word is for people who have bad things happen to them specifically due to their own arrogance, overconfidence, hubris, that's the flavor of schade that i love best

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

derp posted:

is schadenfreude really just 'enjoying bad things happening to people'? I thought it was more specific than that. maybe because I became familiar with the word from reading the bitcoin thread back in the day. whatever the word is for people who have bad things happen to them specifically due to their own arrogance, overconfidence, hubris, that's the flavor of schade that i love best

I think a good time to debate if something is schadenfreude in the schadenfreude thread is "always".

Never seen it go wrong.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

derp posted:

is schadenfreude really just 'enjoying bad things happening to people'?

Pretty much yeah

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i have been using the word wrong for years. how embarrassing. i bet some people felt schadenfreude about me

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's a really good flavor but we're mother loving Baskin Robbins over here

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

derp posted:

That's pretty much the modern definition of it, yes - it's certainly how it's used in science and also what you'll find in most dictionaries.

Its meaning in German also has very little relationship with the meaning it gets as a loan-word in English, because neither are truly-perscriptivist languages, at least for English today, the approach seems to be to stick with descriptivist linguistics.
Personally, I'm more of a cunning linguist.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Its meaning in German also has very little relationship with the meaning it gets as a loan-word in English, because neither are truly-perscriptivist languages, at least for English today, the approach seems to be to stick with descriptivist linguistics.
Personally, I'm more of a cunning linguist.

Personally I think most prescriptivists are secretly nationalists

E: See I just used a split infinitive and I'm not going to fix it

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Soul Dentist posted:

That's a really good flavor but we're mother loving Baskin Robbins over here

:hmmyes:

dramatic irony schad is the most delicious but I'm a gourmand

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

caspergers posted:

Their best criticism is that it has a flavor which a "good" lager does not.

I guess to be fair their are IPA nerds who have beers that are just hopped up all to gently caress like put more bacon in the bacon gosh I love bacon put the bacon in my butt until I die.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
PYF Schadenfreude: put the bacon in my butt until I die

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

caspergers posted:

Personally I think most prescriptivists are secretly nationalists

E: See I just used a split infinitive and I'm not going to fix it
Perscriptivist linguists are almost unavoidably conservatives, by the very nature of the position - so it wouldn't be too far of a leap to assume them to be nationalists too.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I like IPAs fine, but I also like other beers, and do get mildly irritated when I go to a bar and they have like 12 different beers on tap... 10 of which are different brands broadly similar IPAs, maybe one of them has a hint of grapefruit or something. I get bored easily and want to try different things!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SiKboy posted:

I like IPAs fine, but I also like other beers, and do get mildly irritated when I go to a bar and they have like 12 different beers on tap... 10 of which are different brands broadly similar IPAs, maybe one of them has a hint of grapefruit or something. I get bored easily and want to try different things!

this is a real problem. i go to the 7-11 down the street and i can choose between pbr, bud, or 16 different ipas. i dont always want a 8% abv maximum HOPS OVERLOAD. but they stock what sells, so nothing to do about it. thanks ipa bros

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Their best criticism is that it has a flavor which a "good" lager does not.

I guess to be fair their are IPA nerds who have beers that are just hopped up all to gently caress like put more bacon in the bacon gosh I love bacon put the bacon in my butt until I die.

I don't think that's what they meant by stuffing your rear end with their meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

caspergers posted:

hating the intl police assoc is cool and good