Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lies of P is an adaptation of the classic children's story Pinocchio in the form of a dark and gritty Soulslike action game where you

Hey wait, come back! It's actually good!

Seriously, it's getting a very positive reaction from players and critics alike. While it borrows heavily from all the variations on From's house style, the one it wears most clearly on its sleeve is Bloodborne. You've got your decrepit European city full of dark corners and shortcuts, you've got your vaguely steampunk weapons and off-hand gadgets, you've got your strange disease keeping everyone except monsters off the streets, you've got your safe space full of NPCs, you've got your crashed stagecoaches and piles of corpses strategically blocking routes, it's all here. You've also got bizarro transpositions from the source material like Jiminy Cricket reimagined as a proto-AI companion that lives in your pocket, or "star fragments" that let you "wish" for help in the form of summoned allies for boss fights, or your father Geppetto as the mad genius who upgrades your puppet body with new combat skills. And, unique among all the puppets in the world, you've got the ability to lie- use it wisely, because it seems to have story implications.

Lies of P is out now on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series, and PC. It's also on Game Pass, so no reason not to give it a try!

haveblue fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Most important feature: You can duct tape the handle of any non-boss weapon to the blade of any other non-boss weapon to mix and match hitboxes and movesets.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SirSamVimes posted:

Most important feature: You can duct tape the handle of any non-boss weapon to the blade of any other non-boss weapon to mix and match hitboxes and movesets.

Haha, the TOTK weapon fusion model. Tape a massive weapon to a short sword handle, get massive reach with quick swings

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game is great. It's the best-feeling non-Fromsoft souls game I've played and I've played almost all of them. The world is cool, it goes off the rails cosmic horror just like Bloodborne. It has some neat unique mechanics and sits kinda somewhere between Bloodborne and Sekiro mechanically.

The Pinocchio lore is fully realized too. It's Pinnochio through and through, not just aesthetically.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I read somewhere that there was a way to increase the parry window, I’m done with the cathedral and haven’t found it. Did I miss it, or is it in a later tier in the «sphere grid» upgrades?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’ll make some effort posts later, but I’ll just chime in to say I’m a bit over halfway through my first run and loving it. I expected it to be just a decent entry to feed my Souls addiction, but it’s turning out to be one of my favorites in the sub-genre. The boss fights in particular have been especially fantastic. They encourage you to learn the new mechanics and experiment with your build (and dang there are a lot of cool ways to swap parts and gear to vary your build) and are just fun.

A couple tips to people diving in:

The perfect block is an essential tool, but its input is a bit different than you might be used to if you’ve come from Sekiro. The block is only active while you are holding the button, so you can’t just tap it if you want the full duration of the perfect block frames. So, hit the button right before the impact, but also keep it held for a bit until the enemy’s strike has finished. On the DuelSense this is easy because you’ll feel the haptic impact. If you feel like the block timing is too narrow, you might just be tapping the button too quickly.

Second, NPCs react to the clothes you wear. If you want to avoid conflict, dress up in an outfit they might respect.

ymgve posted:

I read somewhere that there was a way to increase the parry window, I’m done with the cathedral and haven’t found it. Did I miss it, or is it in a later tier in the «sphere grid» upgrades?

You might check the input tip I gave above, but yeah there are also items and upgrades in the late game that extend it further. The cathedral is still early, but if you’ve really explored then you might have enough quartz to unlock the upgrade tier in the P Organ (I think it was in tier 3, which require four bonus perks to be unlocked, so 8 quartz). The other item is much much later.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 20, 2023

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Second, NPCs react to the clothes you wear. If you want to avoid conflict, dress up in an outfit they might respect.

drat, I am wearing the stalker gear and when I got to the trolley, I was able to just pass on it. Is it a boss fight otherwise?

I'm also loving it. Compared to Nioh and Stranger of Paradise, both of which I really like, this one feels more of a from game. I think it is a good place for people who are intimated by the genre. The story is easy to follow, in part because it is familiar, and the combat is engaging but overall easier than most of the souls games.

Going to be thinking about it at work tomorrow for sure.

Quick question - what are those icons next to the health bar? Is there a legend somewhere which explains them?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I just love the fact you can parry some boss weapons enough to cause them to break and then boss is so nerfed at that point.

Also the heavy sword handle has a huge perfect block window ability for bad players like myself getting the parry down.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ghostinmyshell posted:

I just love the fact you can parry some boss weapons enough to cause them to break and then boss is so nerfed at that point.

Also the heavy sword handle has a huge perfect block window ability for bad players like myself getting the parry down.

Yeah, breaking a boss's weapon by mastering their parry timing is so satisfying.

On the subject of handles and blades, if anyone is wondering how it all works: Your blade determines your damage type, base damage numbers, and is the part that can be upgraded. Your hilt determines animation, timing, and damage scaling. The damage scaling can be modified to an extent. There's no reason not to experiment with different combos, it costs nothing to make new combinations.

Mean Baby posted:

drat, I am wearing the stalker gear and when I got to the trolley, I was able to just pass on it. Is it a boss fight otherwise?

There are a few situations where a person could be a mini-boss or an ally. The pair of hunters above the poison pool in the Factory were another example.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 20, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bugblatter posted:

There are a few situations where a person could be a mini-boss or an ally. The pair of hunters above the poison pool in the Factory were another example.

Would they have attacked me if I hadn't happened to be wearing mad donkey's outfit?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Would they have attacked me if I hadn't happened to be wearing mad donkey's outfit?

I think any Stalker outfit works. I think they're all faction based, not so specific as individual characters.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I played the demo and really liked the atmosphere and art style, but I had lots of complaints about the gameplay. Turns out I was the problem, and it's very much like Sekiro in that you want to parry (called "perfect block" in the game) and not really dodge all that much. Once I figured that out combat got a lot better and I bought the full game. I still have some issues, a lot of the boss battles (so far anyway) are either mediocre or trending towards bad due to the arena layout and fighting the camera. Also large bosses have the same problem as any From game, namely the camera shits itself and you can get hung up on random crap like boxes that they placed in the arena. You can summon an NPC cooperator for these, but they're generally useless as the AI is pretty bad - they'll just stand there and get wailed on. Compound that with the increased boss health and I don't recommend using them. Since it's SP-only this means if you're really stuck on a boss you're not progressing until you can beat it. Yes, you can grind for levels but I think I've been spoiled by ER where there's pretty much always an alternate path or something else to do. This is super linear.

The weapon assembling is extremely cool. Yes, you can stick a small handle on a long blade for fast attacks with a heavier weapon, or conversely put a long handle on a shorter blade for increased reach. So far I've found one weapon that does fire damage innately, but nothing with electrical yet which is what you really want vs mechanical enemies. Also found an acid weapon. There are consumables that act like resins from Souls games to add an element to a weapon and a reusable one that is good for one use only but resets at a bonfire Stargazer. There are also boss weapons which use a different upgrade material so don't eat the boss souls - the guy for these shows up a few hours into the game. There are also items to change a weapon handle's properties, so you can take that tiny rapier handle and mod it to strength or the long axe handle to dex.

You can go with a STR, Dex, or quality build but they're called Motivity and Technique respectively. Wanna swing around a giant fuckoff wrench? Level Motivity. Wanna poke things a lot? Technique. There's also a stat called Advance which makes your Legion Arm stronger and adds to elemental damage. You start off with a basic arm but can craft some really silly/neat ones later. You still take damage from a non-perfect block, but then get rally health ala Bloodborne. If you don't block at all that health is just lost, but the rally health can be made back in a couple of hits so even if you're poo poo at parrying you aren't completely screwed. On that note, if you're lovely at parrying I suggest going with a str build as those weapons reduce blocked damage a lot more than light ones.

Overall I'd say this has some rough edges but it's a really good soulslike, definitely one of the better ones I've played.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's an electricity mace somewhere very early on. It's shortly before the cop miniboss that drops a baton I think?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's an electricity mace somewhere very early on. It's shortly before the cop miniboss that drops a baton I think?

You can buy it off the vendor. I think it’s in the hotel.

E: to be clear, a small hotel or maybe apartment in one of the spawn points, not the krat hotel.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dodging gets better and becomes almost essential later on, but yeah the early game really wants you to learn to parry and it's always a huge emphasis.

That electric mace is really useful. It does blunt damage, so it staggers well for being such a light and fast weapon, it has one of the faster charge attacks, getting electricity to proc interrupts attacks, and electrified enemies take extra damage from all physical hits.

It's sold by the vendor inside the house in Elysion Blvd. I think he's the second wandering merchant you can meet. The first vendor sells whichever starting swords you didn't pick at the beginning.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 20, 2023

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I had a better time against the workshop boss just dodging his attacks than with blocking for some reason. Up to fighting him I had basically just been blocking and not dodging. It worked pretty well against the Survivor as well because he just attacks in a straight line a lot and it opens up his back nicely.

I feel like the weapon I use in this game is solely going to be based on how quick the charged heavy attack comes out just because of the way stagger works. Sometimes it feels like a real pain trying to get the charged heavy attack in time.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I didn't play the game because I'm not super interested but the sequel hook was so insane that I'm absolutely gonna play that one

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

SirSamVimes posted:

This is definitely something you want to play around with, but one thing to keep in mind is that blades are either suited for slashing, stabbing, or both. If you put a blunt blade on a stabbing handle, you end up doing quite a bit less damage than you otherwise would.

Centusin posted:

I feel like the weapon I use in this game is solely going to be based on how quick the charged heavy attack comes out just because of the way stagger works. Sometimes it feels like a real pain trying to get the charged heavy attack in time.

The Salamander Dagger hilt had the quickest charged attack I came across, I used that with either the matching blade or the Greatsword of Fate blade for a lot of the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rapier is good for getting out charged attacks because it is quick and has a fair amount of forward momentum.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

This game is loving great. Probably my #2 GOTY (BG3 being #1). It's not perfect and definitely not as good as a proper FromSoft game but it does what it sought out to do extremely well.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Shirley the thread title should be Lies of P: Master of Puppets.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

AceOfFlames posted:

This game is loving great. Probably my #2 GOTY (BG3 being #1). It's not perfect and definitely not as good as a proper FromSoft game but it does what it sought out to do extremely well.

I think it might even be better than DS3.

I made a new toy. Game good.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The hilt system is bizarre and basically just encourages you to put the highest damage blade you can find on the fastest hilt with the best scaling for your build. I was not expecting my dex build to be a rapier hilt with a giant thrusting wrench

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Phoix posted:

The hilt system is bizarre and basically just encourages you to put the highest damage blade you can find on the fastest hilt with the best scaling for your build. I was not expecting my dex build to be a rapier hilt with a giant thrusting wrench

The blade does seem to actually affect the speed of your attacks, and I think they are oriented towards slashing or stabbing so a pokey handle won't do much handle with an axe blade.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The release day patch, whatever they did, makes this feel so much better than the demo. I’m loving this so far and can’t wait to get back on it. The voice acting is pretty ho hum but maybe if enough people play they can get better ones.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SirSamVimes posted:

As an addendum, since each weapon's attribute scaling is tied to the handle (along with the weapon's moveset, speed of attack etc), you might be tempted to use the cranks you can find, which can switch a handle's ability scaling from A Strength, - Magic to B Strength, D Magic (for instance).

Be careful where you use those because you do NOT get too many. I very casually used an Advance Crank (the game's equivalent to elemental damage) on a weapon that already had decent Advance scaling to improve it even further because I figured out I could just buy lots more from the vendors. You can't. You can buy precisely a total of three each per playthrough, and you find one or two of each more. And two of the three vendor items are fairly late game.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I upgraded my starting rapier to +2... was that dumb?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I wanted to like this more than I did - I made it up to chapter 8 and then fell off pretty hard. Sekiro is probably my least favorite From game, and this frequently feels like a less refined version of that (in terms of moment to moment gameplay, not aesthetic, obviously).

This was particularly true for me in the second half of the game where they very much expect you to have mastered perfect blocking. Dodging gets better but remains mostly an escape tool, because the game does not reward aggression in the way that Bloodborne does. Once you get past the halfway point, the game wants you to learn patterns, block, and maybe get 1-2 hits in. It will absolutely punish you if you get more aggressive on a lot of bosses.

Anyway, glad folks like it and I agree that it does a lot of things very well. I think it shows pretty well up until like Chapter 5 or so - and after that, if this particular version of the Souls formula isn’t to your taste it isn’t interested in changing your mind.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You get an item in the cathedral that allows the hotel portier to sell infinite amounts of the base upgrade material, so no

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I feel like all my problems with the combat would be fixed if stagger just gave you the fatal attack or we could get a stagger meter that builds up. Half the time I’m just like oh poo poo his thing is white and rushing to charge a heavy and then getting smacked in the face.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
Can anyone confirm whether specters increase boss defense/HP like summons in the Souls games?

Bugblatter posted:

If you wear the stalker's clothes you find behind the first triangle door, the Survivor will attack you because he thinks you're the vengeful ghost of the friend he left to die. Otherwise he just hears your springs and attacks you for being a puppet.

SirSamVimes posted:

Rapier is good for getting out charged attacks because it is quick and has a fair amount of forward momentum.
The one thing it's not great for is staggering bosses, because the third hit needs to land to leave them vulnerable. It's why I always have the dagger equipped, because its charged R2 fires off instantly.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

There's a ton of first-tier (non-boss 1-3) upgrade materials, and they become unlimited a few hours in. Also the rapier fucks, I could see the handle being good for the whole game.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Picked this up yesterday and I’ve been enjoying it, made it to the city hall boss before I had to stop for the night. Parrying enemy weapons to break them in half is a neat idea. I’ll admit I died way too much to the first human enemy. I thought there would be a secret pacifist method to defeat him if I parried enough to fully break his weapon, but no dice.

Voice acting is lol but I’ll say it kind of adds to the souls-like charm of everyone being a little weird and off-kilter.

One little detail I thought was cool: during fights against larger bosses your dodge turns into a cool little slide, I guess to show the extra effort Pinocchio needs to circle around them.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

This was particularly true for me in the second half of the game where they very much expect you to have mastered perfect blocking. Dodging gets better but remains mostly an escape tool, because the game does not reward aggression in the way that Bloodborne does. Once you get past the halfway point, the game wants you to learn patterns, block, and maybe get 1-2 hits in. It will absolutely punish you if you get more aggressive on a lot of bosses.

Yeah, this is becoming my problem with it in the later game. Everything I've fought since the end of chapter 6 has just kind of been a slog of perfect blocking and waiting for my small window to hit. The chapter 6 boss in particular was super annoying because during his first phase he still has a huge amount of HP and most of his attacks knock you back significantly even on perfect block.

Starting to feel like I should just use spectres to save time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mean Baby posted:

You can buy it off the vendor. I think it’s in the hotel.

E: to be clear, a small hotel or maybe apartment in one of the spawn points, not the krat hotel.

The vendor is standing near the stargazer named something like "in a small room on elysion boulevard"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Phoix posted:

Always check the Attack Types section of a weapon -- if it has down arrows in one of the styles, you end up doing a ton less damage with those moves. I was using the Greatsword of Fate on the Wintry Rapier hilt until the factory, where I swapped the blade for the Booster Glaive for a bit. Even though the raw damage numbers were much higher, the actual damage was like 1/3 of what it said it should be since the Booster Glaive wasn't a stabbing blade.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
I'm having a lot of fun being the Liar of P but I can't find a definition of what star does what.cit looks like advance helps with element damage?

Also there must be a hidden humanity meter because certain things say they increase your humanity and then your gears do something.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Phoix posted:

Yeah, this is becoming my problem with it in the later game. Everything I've fought since the end of chapter 6 has just kind of been a slog of perfect blocking and waiting for my small window to hit. The chapter 6 boss in particular was super annoying because during his first phase he still has a huge amount of HP and most of his attacks knock you back significantly even on perfect block.

Starting to feel like I should just use spectres to save time

Hmm, had you upgraded your weapon and had it tuned to your stats? His health bar in the first phase went down quite fast for me with a +6 electric mace. FWIW, I mostly dodge rolled through the first phase attacks except a couple that I knew I could parry. I wasn't noticing any knock backs. I wonder if armor or weapon types change how firmly you stand when blocking. For the second phase I just side-stepped left around attacks and smacked him in the back.

Valleyant posted:

Also there must be a hidden humanity meter because certain things say they increase your humanity and then your gears do something.

There is. It changes a variety of things, but the most important one is if your meter is high enough you can pet the cat.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 20, 2023

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Valleyant posted:

I'm having a lot of fun being the Liar of P but I can't find a definition of what star does what.cit looks like advance helps with element damage?

The stats are basically:

Health
Stamina
Weight Limit
Damage
Damage
Elemental

My experience was that Advance never scaled enough to really make it worth putting points in, then I swapped from a balanced build to a full Technique build once I got one of the later boss weapons.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I think it might even be better than DS3.

I made a new toy. Game good.

Hell yeah. I'm rocking that combo as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

This is a role model of a PC port, runs like a dream on my 3080 at native 4K 60fps with ample headroom. And with shader precompilation so there's no stutter. Really high quality release. Also yeah it's a lot more fun than I was expecting, plays really well.