Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

acksplode posted:

This is a role model of a PC port, runs like a dream on my 3080 at native 4K 60fps with ample headroom. And with shader precompilation so there's no stutter. Really high quality release. Also yeah it's a lot more fun than I was expecting, plays really well.

I was going to say.

I'm running it on a 4060 with everything at max and it's smooth as butter.

Since I got the card a couple of weeks back I've been playing stuff like Armoured core 6 and Jedi Survivor with it, but also testing it on stuff like Cyberpunk and that hogwarts game. Lies of P just blows them all away for performance on max settings.

That being said, cyberpunk, jedi survivor and hogwarts all seemed to have this weird "haze" about them graphically. The kinda thing that made them look "next gen".

Lies of P doesn't seem to have that so maybe that's why it's running a lot better. It looks great, but for some reason since playing those games, feels like it's dated graphically or something.

It's also just a 30odd gig install size vs the 70 gig + installs of the other games which is very nice.

I've no idea why AC6 is nearly double the size of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Well, an AC is about 12 times bigger than a Pinocchio on average so if you look at it that way it's actually quite small.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi-H6ohY37k

So the atmosphere is good in this game? I saw a boss fight against ...a cardinal I think? And it was nice and grotesque, is that a fair representation of what's in this game?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

This game looks really good, how's the story?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s american mcgee’s pinocchio. most of its appeal lies in how hard it commits to the schtick

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

WarpedLichen posted:

This game looks really good, how's the story?

I like it. It’s like a from game but you don’t need a 2 hour YouTube video to understand the story. It’s basically bloodborne but Pinocchio

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
I do get some weird pop-in textures, like the moongazer or NPCs taking a hot minute to load in, but otherwise the game runs great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I tried to make a FRIENDS OF P gangtag but got stuck on the font matching, they may have just hand-drawn the entire logo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I want to like this game but the way this game puts so much emphasis on the parry system just makes it a slog to actually play* since I have neither the reflexes or patience to learn to use it

*best example of this is with the big enemies, the need to parry them turns fights that would have taken maybe a minute tops in other Soulsborne style games into 5+ minute ordeals since I have to do an extremely tedious "hit them once for basically no damage then dodge twice to get out of range of their attack" pattern if I don't want to get murdered in 20 seconds from trying to be more aggressive

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just beat the opera house and I literally haven't bothered parrying once outside of the White Lady boss fight where it's both necessary and extremely easy. Dodging and blocking are enough, so far.

e: I'm also playing an Advance build which people say is weak, but it seems to be absurdly strong to me? Like you can melt major bosses to death with a flamethrower in a single Legion bar. I guess that's part of the reason why I haven't seen a need to parry or stagger. And with 30 Advance my Fulminis does ~2.2k damage :kiddo:

Also yeah the attack window openings on bosses are pretty small but you have things like all the throwable grenades that do 10%+ of a boss's health bar each that you can use when you're not attacking in melee.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 20, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This game owns. I'm in chapter 5 and one of the unique enemies I encountered really blew me away... not many big thoughts atm but yeah it's just really impressive.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Also for anyone struggling with charged attacks to stagger things after breaking their guard - you don't need to use charged attacks to do it. Falling attacks and the Fulminis legion (with the charge upgrade) also stagger them, and possibly some other things.

Upgraded fulminis is really good in general. You can move while charging it, hold a charge indefinitely, then blast an enemy before they're close enough to hit you. It staggers with one charge level, and it applies electrified in a single shot.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 20, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I missed the two hunters on the bridge in the factory, did I miss out on something cool?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

best weapon combo I've found yet (both chapter 7 weapons though): Circular Electric Chainsaw blade on the Spear of Honor handle. Every move is very good but the Fables in particular do absolutely bonkers damage.

The scythe boss weapon is cool too. On charged attacks the head detaches from the handle and flies around with huge range.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

drrockso20 posted:

I want to like this game but the way this game puts so much emphasis on the parry system just makes it a slog to actually play* since I have neither the reflexes or patience to learn to use it

*best example of this is with the big enemies, the need to parry them turns fights that would have taken maybe a minute tops in other Soulsborne style games into 5+ minute ordeals since I have to do an extremely tedious "hit them once for basically no damage then dodge twice to get out of range of their attack" pattern if I don't want to get murdered in 20 seconds from trying to be more aggressive

By big enemies you mean non-boss big HP enemies in the world? The only one I really had to parry to beat was the fat metal dude with the two shields in the Workshop. I thought it would be necessary for the nearby rapier wielding bunny-hooded man but you can beat him by literally just keeping your distance and walking to the side, waiting for him to attack then either walking to the side or dodging.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Apparently the boss of Chapter 4, Archbishop Andreus, is becoming That Boss for a lot of people, aka the first significant wall that breaks people's will and causes them to go on pissed off internet rants. I thought it was awesome honestly. Took me like 10-15 tries but there was almost always significant progress, he looks cool and freaky, and I liked the way it seemed built to interact in interesting ways with the Specter helper.

I particularly thought it was cool how his combos take advantage of his giant body to turn and kinda hide the windup of one of the followup swings, finally getting used to that was sick. I've seen complaints about the camera but as long as I don't get pinned to a wall it's been super functional for me.

Phoix posted:

Starting to feel like I should just use spectres to save time
obviously this is up to everyone but I don't really see any reason to not use them. They're not an easy mode, they're a consumable that basically just tanks some damage. Unless they start getting stronger or something, I don't expect a spectre to let me win a boss fight without having some solid mastery of its mechanics

Martman fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 20, 2023

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Martman posted:

Apparently the boss of Chapter 4, Archbishop Andreus, is becoming That Boss for a lot of people, aka the first significant wall that breaks people's will and causes them to go on pissed off internet rants. I thought it was awesome honestly. Took me like 10-15 tries but there was almost always significant progress, he looks cool and freaky, and I liked the way it seemed built to interact in interesting ways with the Specter helper.

I particularly thought it was cool how his combos take advantage of his giant body to turn and kinda hide the windup of one of the followup swings, finally getting used to that was sick. I've seen complaints about the camera but as long as I don't get pinned to a wall it's been super functional for me.

I beat that boss last night and absolutely loved it. Definitely the hardest one so far but not at all insurmountable. I especially love how wildly different its design and behavior was to everything in the game so far.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I'm in Chapter 4 now and running Technique and so far haven't messed around extensively with any weapon except the initial rapier sword/handle because I really love the distance you can get on a charge and the straightforward pokey nature. Nothing else I've messed with so far has really grabbed me, though admittedly I've just whacked things in the training room a bit with different combos. I'm assuming there are only so many weapon upgrade materials to go around if you wanna go wide on a bunch of blades and handles, but do the +6 materials end up being as plentiful as the +3 ones so that I should go ahead and just keep levelling up the rapier with no regrets until the next tier?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I've been sticking with the rapier from day one because it just feels like a proper gentleman's weapon to me, and you're a small and delicate guy so carrying around a gigantic boss-masher feels silly. Not entirely sure how to land its Fable parry, though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Perry Mason Jar posted:

By big enemies you mean non-boss big HP enemies in the world? The only one I really had to parry to beat was the fat metal dude with the two shields in the Workshop. I thought it would be necessary for the nearby rapier wielding bunny-hooded man but you can beat him by literally just keeping your distance and walking to the side, waiting for him to attack then either walking to the side or dodging.

I've only just reached the bridge leading to the circus so I've thankfully only encountered two of them, that big policeman puppet in the train station and the one with the wrench that the game uses to teach you about fury attacks, the former was the worse fight but both were obnoxious slogs

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nikumatic posted:

I'm in Chapter 4 now and running Technique and so far haven't messed around extensively with any weapon except the initial rapier sword/handle because I really love the distance you can get on a charge and the straightforward pokey nature. Nothing else I've messed with so far has really grabbed me, though admittedly I've just whacked things in the training room a bit with different combos. I'm assuming there are only so many weapon upgrade materials to go around if you wanna go wide on a bunch of blades and handles, but do the +6 materials end up being as plentiful as the +3 ones so that I should go ahead and just keep levelling up the rapier with no regrets until the next tier?
I'm avoiding spoilering myself on the exact way this progression stuff works so just speculating here, but with how quickly they let you buy unlimited Hidden Moonstones from the shop, I'd be surprised if the next tier is gated much harder. I'm a little past you, upgrading whatever I feel like pretty much

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Martman posted:

obviously this is up to everyone but I don't really see any reason to not use them. They're not an easy mode, they're a consumable that basically just tanks some damage. Unless they start getting stronger or something, I don't expect a spectre to let me win a boss fight without having some solid mastery of its mechanics

When you unlock the Golden Fruit Tree you can spend the items it gives you to buy new wishstones for the cube, and a lot of them are focused around healing or buffing specters. I haven't used those wishstones so I don't know how big of an impact they make but I think you totally could lean on specters as a crutch if you wanted to/went out of your way to do it. But yeah they don't seem to get stronger outside of that.

Nikumatic posted:

e: Removed what I wrote about how it happens to stay in line with the above post being spoilered, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that the final moonstone to take them to +10 is limited but the others are not. You can also farm them as drops from enemies.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 20, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I've been sticking with the rapier from day one because it just feels like a proper gentleman's weapon to me, and you're a small and delicate guy so carrying around a gigantic boss-masher feels silly. Not entirely sure how to land its Fable parry, though.

This is why I was a Threaded Cane Boy from start to finish.

The Fable parry seems to be even more of a nightmare to me than the actual perfect block (thank you extremely much to whoever posted about needing to hold it down as you block, that's been helping a lot) because you have to anticipate the animation hitting back when it glows. I've found it kind of finnicky to deal with but I'm continuing to practice with it.

But I also just got the BOOMSHIELD arm and it rules.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How's the (boss weapon spoilers) umbrella? It seems like an ultimate weapon for a Technique-first Way of the Bastard player like me, judging by its scaling alone, but is it indeed worth the investment?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't suppose there's ever a way to get the other of the two choices for boss soul trade ins? I went for one particular weapon and ring and afterwards once I tried them out got serious buyer's remorse and wish I'd done the opposite.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Nikumatic posted:

(thank you extremely much to whoever posted about needing to hold it down as you block, that's been helping a lot)

So, wait, you need to hold down block then press Y in timing with the attack - such that you are pressing Y at the same time you would be tapping LB for a perfect parry?

I gave up on the Fable guard thing right away cause I couldn't figure it out

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Darth Walrus posted:

How's the (boss weapon spoilers) umbrella? It seems like an ultimate weapon for a Technique-first Way of the Bastard player like me, judging by its scaling alone, but is it indeed worth the investment?

I think it's a pretty straight upgrade to the Wintry Rapier, so excellent if you like that moveset, though my pick for a technique build was the (later boss weapon spoilers) katana from the swamp boss.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't used the umbrella extensively but all of the boss weapons in this seem to have (sometimes non-obvious) tricks and gimmicks that set them apart from other weapons. With the Umbrella as far as I can tell, this is the fact that when the umbrella is opened (on charge attacks) it counts as blocking at I think 100% damage blocked, which makes it easier to be aggressive.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 20, 2023

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
Is there a shop upgrade for buying unlimited throwing items or is there a hard limit on them per playthrough?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I don't remember getting an unlimited supply, but you can definitely farm thermite/throwing cells and the physical versions from enemies.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
That butler dude appraised...something...and said something about infiltrating the Black Rabbit Brotherhood with it. I don't have a black rabbit costume. What?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ymgve posted:

That butler dude appraised...something...and said something about infiltrating the Black Rabbit Brotherhood with it. I don't have a black rabbit costume. What?
It's a coin or something, you got it from investigating a grave

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The thing is you get that token after you’ve already defeated them, so I’m wondering if it’s NG+ stuff?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

ymgve posted:

You can show the coin to the Wandering Merchant in that chapter to buy from him.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Aaah, I do remember showing him the coin. Guess I forgot when I actually picked it up.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just beat Champion Victor - kinda disappointed that things have become less 'weird' post-Fallen Archduke but man that was a fun fight. The zones have also become a lot more complex and less linear the further I've got into the game.

e: Oh my god it's tying in other public domain characters like Dorian Gray now this owns Dorian Gray painted a portrait of pinnochio and the nose on the portrait grows based on how many times you've lied

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 21, 2023

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone else stuck on the puppet king? The fight makes me feel like I still haven't really figured out perfect blocks in this game like I have in Sekiro or Revengeance. Most fights end up being wars of attrition and that just doesn't really work on this guy. Or maybe my advance based build sucks, idk.

For new players, I wouldn't recommend doing advance for your first playthrough. I don't know how strong it is compared to the str/dex based builds, but at least at the point I'm at there have been waaay fewer weapon options to play around with.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The key to an Advance build for me has been liberal use of Fulminis. At 2 charge levels it does 2k+ damage (at 30 advance) and adds a massive amount of guard break, and it can cause a stagger once their guard is broken - sometimes it even skips the flashing white healthbar thing and goes straight into staggering them.

I used a Specter on Puppet King and nuked him down with Fulminis + Flamberge before the specter died.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 21, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone else stuck on the puppet king? The fight makes me feel like I still haven't really figured out perfect blocks in this game like I have in Sekiro or Revengeance. Most fights end up being wars of attrition and that just doesn't really work on this guy. Or maybe my advance based build sucks, idk.

For new players, I wouldn't recommend doing advance for your first playthrough. I don't know how strong it is compared to the str/dex based builds, but at least at the point I'm at there have been waaay fewer weapon options to play around with.

A lot of people get stuck on him. He wasn't too bad for me, so here's what worked in my case: In the first phase I actually didn't bother to parry most of his attacks except a few really easy to time ones (Mainly the slams). I had the dodge upgrades and just rolled through the big sweeps in classic Souls style. His first phase is very weak to electricity, so I used the electric mace. You should have the grindstone that adds a free electric buff once per-life/checkpoint rest, so you could use that on your favored weapon too. In his second phase, just sidestep left around all of his attacks and attack whenever you're behind him. He has very little tracking and his weapon always sweeps to the right, so that will keep you safe. If he starts to charge his flame attack, a charged R2 will cancel his charge and take away his most dangerous moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

The Aegis Legion absolutely rules now that I know you can use it to perfect block also. I also just put some upgrades into the FANCY boss weapon because it does feel just like the rapier in training, so I’m gonna play around with it a bit as well.

I am partially mad that I sold the first boss Ergo not realizing you could turn them into stuff later, because I might’ve like that medallion, but there’s enough to play around with that it’s just a minor inconvenience.