Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Does anyone know how to give the Petrification Disease cure to Antonia? I got it from Giangio and I have the key item in my inventory but when I talk to Antonia she only has her usual dialog options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

deep dish peat moss posted:

Does anyone know how to give the Petrification Disease cure to Antonia? I got it from Giangio and I have the key item in my inventory but when I talk to Antonia she only has her usual dialog options.

Talk to the butler, then reload the area and talk to her afterward.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone else stuck on the puppet king? The fight makes me feel like I still haven't really figured out perfect blocks in this game like I have in Sekiro or Revengeance. Most fights end up being wars of attrition and that just doesn't really work on this guy. Or maybe my advance based build sucks, idk.

For new players, I wouldn't recommend doing advance for your first playthrough. I don't know how strong it is compared to the str/dex based builds, but at least at the point I'm at there have been waaay fewer weapon options to play around with.

If you're having trouble with the second phase if you hit him hard enough when he tries to light his scythe on fire, he'll stagger out of the animation and not do his methed out fire flight

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just met the Puppet King for the first time and this is the second occasion that I've been like "how is this not an endboss???" This game kicks so much rear end.

Also the Black Rabbit Brotherhood fight is the most interesting and fun iteration of a "gank squad" boss I have ever seen.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phoix posted:

If you're having trouble with the second phase if you hit him hard enough when he tries to light his scythe on fire, he'll stagger out of the animation and not do his methed out fire flight

Ah, cool. I'll try saving my three charge fable art for that.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Is there any way to make the on screen text bigger, it's distractingly tiny.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is no longer a Pinocchio game, it's now a Lord Farquaad game.

Tricky posted:

Talk to the butler, then reload the area and talk to her afterward.
That did it, thanks!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 21, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
clothing options range from fancy lad to fanciest lad

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

For those of y'all going with a strength build, what weapon builds are working well for you? I've stuck with Booster Glaive + Police Baton handle which was working well for quite a while, but it's starting to be less effective against later enemies. The attack speed is not that great and the reach is low. I've switched the handle to the Bone-Cutting handle and my brief testing of it seems promising. I like that the ability lets you poise through enemy attacks, which the Police Baton lacks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone got tips for a friend?

quote:

Finally starting to play "Lies of P"~ My first time playing a Dark Souls style game aaaaaand I hate it. Don't get me wrong, I love the storyline and the aesthetics! The game itself is gorgeous and most of the fighting is fine but I can't even make it past the 1st boss. I've been playing for 4 hours. I've maxed out all the levels I can at this point in the game, practiced fighting lesser enemies, upgraded all my equipment as much as possible and, honestly, it's sucking all the fun out of the game to still die again and again and again and again and again and again and again.... I really hope I didn't waste my money on a game I can't loving play....

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Queering Wheel posted:

For those of y'all going with a strength build, what weapon builds are working well for you? I've stuck with Booster Glaive + Police Baton handle which was working well for quite a while, but it's starting to be less effective against later enemies. The attack speed is not that great and the reach is low. I've switched the handle to the Bone-Cutting handle and my brief testing of it seems promising. I like that the ability lets you poise through enemy attacks, which the Police Baton lacks.

I'd recommend either not using the Booster Glaive handle or sticking a crank on it. It's a heavy weapon, but it scales harder with Technique (Dex) than Motivity (strength).

Steve Yun posted:

Tell them to take a try or two not doing any attacks on the boss. Just learn the timing of attacks and most importantly, learn the timing of the perfect guard. Perfect guard is the most important tool in the game for avoiding damage. Dodging and regular blocks have their place in the game, but perfect guard is the most important.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I'd recommend either not using the Booster Glaive handle or sticking a crank on it. It's a heavy weapon, but it scales harder with Technique (Dex) than Motivity (strength).

From what I'm seeing, the stats show that it scales better with Motivity though. Am I missing something? At its current level Motivity is a B while Technique is a D.

e: oh, just noticed you said handle. I'm using the Booster Glaive blade + Police Baton/Bone-Cutting handle.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yikes, Black Rabbit Brotherhood in Chapter 5 is definitely giving me more trouble than any other boss so far. I feel like I'm pretty decent at perfect-blocking the big sword swings, but pretty decent is still letting a lot through and once things start getting more chaotic my rhythm gets thrown. I'll try again in the morning since after sleeping on it and complaining on the internet I'll probably nail the fight.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oh I misread. Well from what I've seen (not an expert on the strength end of things), the police baton is more of a quick attack weapon. Good if you're not confident finding windows to do big hits.

I've been using booster glaive handle + bonecutting saw blade and it's a fantastic heavy weapon for a dex build. Hits like an absolute truck with good reach and good fable attacks, the one real downside being that it breaks really quickly so I need to actually remember to mid-combat repair more often.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Flame King is absolutely destroying me in the 2nd phase. Crazy fight. :lol:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Scrapped Watchman is there to teach you to love the perfect block.

King's Flame is there to teach you that sometimes, it's easier to just get out of the way.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nikumatic posted:

Yikes, Black Rabbit Brotherhood in Chapter 5 is definitely giving me more trouble than any other boss so far. I feel like I'm pretty decent at perfect-blocking the big sword swings, but pretty decent is still letting a lot through and once things start getting more chaotic my rhythm gets thrown. I'll try again in the morning since after sleeping on it and complaining on the internet I'll probably nail the fight.

So, the trick with them is pretty simple. Every time you wear down a quarter of the Eldest's health, one of his siblings will join. They don't do much damage or have much health, but if all of them join it can be quite chaotic. But each one will retreat and never rejoin if you beat them up enough. So, as soon as the Eldest loses a quarter of his health, run to the other end of the arena and deal with the sibling. The siblings are fast and will follow you quickly, but The Eldest moves really slow and his only distance covering move has a huge windup. So, just deal with the sibling 1-on-1 unless you see the Eldest do the windup. When he does, dodge, then run to the other end of the arena and repeat.

If you do that, you won't ever have to focus on more than one enemy at a time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Steve Yun posted:

I'd say if they have a PS4 or PS5 to just go play Bloodborne instead

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Tell them to take a try or two not doing any attacks on the boss. Just learn the timing of attacks and most importantly, learn the timing of the perfect guard. Perfect guard is the most important tool in the game for avoiding damage. Dodging and regular blocks have their place in the game, but perfect guard is the most important.

Cosign, this sort of thing works for me when I feel like I'm hitting a wall on a boss in any game. Spending a few runs on defense and observation always pays off.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

even with max sharpening DLSS is way too blurry for me

luckily the game is very well optimized and runs at high FPS on "best" settings @ 1440p on a 3080 without scaling. Whatever AA the game uses looks nice. I really dislike blurry AA and often favour some aliasing (coincidentally from games often turn it off). Quality DLSS usually looks better than native TAA so I appreciate whatever they are using here.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Queering Wheel posted:

Wrench head with the fire axe handle. The shorter handle allows for faster attacks than the default but more reach than say the rapier or a dagger handle. Secondary is the default greatsword blade with the salamander handle, it's a very fast charged R2 so after I get something into stagger mode with the wrench I swap over and do the heavy R2. The GS blade blocks like 60% of damage so it's a good secondary if I get knocked out of my attack or have to block quickly and don't time it perfectly.

Bugblatter posted:

So, the trick with them is pretty simple. Every time you wear down a quarter of the Eldest's health, one of his siblings will join. They don't do much damage or have much health, but if all of them join it can be quite chaotic. But each one will retreat and never rejoin if you beat them up enough. So, as soon as the Eldest loses a quarter of his health, run to the other end of the arena and deal with the sibling. The siblings are fast and will follow you quickly, but The Eldest moves really slow and his only distance covering move has a huge windup. So, just deal with the sibling 1-on-1 unless you see the Eldest do the windup. When he does, dodge, then run to the other end of the arena and repeat.

If you do that, you won't ever have to focus on more than one enemy at a time.
I just ignored them and wailed on the main guy. I tried taking out one add at a time but it only made the fight drag on. Once I said gently caress it and hammered the big boi it went pretty quickly.

Currently stuck on PK, he keeps being a bitch and jumping across the arena, then smacks me with a multihit attack from his noodly arms when I try to close. I can burn him down eventually but then I've got little or no heals for 2nd phase. I even let it sit a day before trying again and nope, still can't get the timing right.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
My trick to the bunnies was to not attack, but just parry the main dude until his sword breaks. Then he becomes a much lesser threat and it's much easier to handle the other 2-on-1 fight.

Does not work on King of Puppets though, his arms are not breakable as far as I've managed to test. And I really regret not using my upgrades on dodge moves now...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How to tell if something can be broken: Does it flash white when you perfect guard? If so, it can be broken.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

SubponticatePoster posted:

I just ignored them and wailed on the main guy. I tried taking out one add at a time but it only made the fight drag on. Once I said gently caress it and hammered the big boi it went pretty quickly.

Sure, you only need to deplete his health bar. But the guy said he was having trouble maintaining focus with the adds, so taking them down would probably be easier in their case. Taking them out didn't really make the fight go much longer. The younger siblings are all pretty weak and susceptible to both stagger and backstabs, so it's a few extra seconds.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
lol I spent at least a few minutes taking down each add. maybe I just suck at this game

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Have you been upgrading weapons and making sure they scale with your main damage stat? I think my main weapon was at +6 by then.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It was more of an issue of positioning them so I could see both at the same time to avoid getting surprise attacked, and then trying to get hits in without getting staggered by their fast attacks. Think my weapon was the default medium starting weapon upgraded to +5

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I used this baby at +5 and was able to hit both the Eldest and his current buddy at once sometimes.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I have a weird issue where I get murdered by elites over and over but then do alright with the bosses

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Centusin posted:

I have a weird issue where I get murdered by elites over and over but then do alright with the bosses

that's just called "playing a soulsborne game"

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kind of a shame since a lot of the elite enemies drop items that are especially useful for that area's boss, haha.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Finally enough boss upgrade stones to switch to Weeb Puppet

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like maybe the appearance change should be tagged, it was a neat surprise

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm like level 40 or something and haven't really put points in the damage stats yet. I'm like 30 health, 20 vigor, 13 capacity. Have I hosed up?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've been digging the rapier but last night I slapped the shock mace head on the police baton handle and man this thing slaps. stop resisting puppets, i am the law

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

ymgve posted:

My trick to the bunnies was to not attack, but just parry the main dude until his sword breaks. Then he becomes a much lesser threat and it's much easier to handle the other 2-on-1 fight.

Does not work on King of Puppets though, his arms are not breakable as far as I've managed to test. And I really regret not using my upgrades on dodge moves now...

Thanks for this; I managed to get into a pretty good groove of being able to break the weapon before continuing the fight, but unfortunately would usually take enough damage with mistimed blocks in the process to make things unmanageable even after that. But the solution was staring me in the face up the ladder from the save point: just smash him to half health and then throw thermite in his face until he dies before the other bunnies can even react.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I found the Bloodborne part :stonklol:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Martman posted:

Apparently the boss of Chapter 4, Archbishop Andreus, is becoming That Boss for a lot of people, aka the first significant wall that breaks people's will and causes them to go on pissed off internet rants. I thought it was awesome honestly. Took me like 10-15 tries but there was almost always significant progress, he looks cool and freaky, and I liked the way it seemed built to interact in interesting ways with the Specter helper.

Yeah that fight wasn't terribly easy. I leaned heavily on the flamethrower Legion arm and the Salamander dagger. Set his loving creepy rear end on fire, then smack him around for bonus fire damage. Still took me a lot of attempts.

Centusin posted:

Honestly the elites in this game are rougher than most bosses. They're so loving fast, have long combos, do so much damage and are often so difficult to read that you'll just eat poo poo on them constantly.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 21, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think the least gruesome elites I've encountered are the big flaming shovel guys in the factory. You can dodge or run away from most of their attacks fairly easily.

I've got to the Black Rabbits' territory, and there's a big ogre-type enemy with two slime-throwers up on the rooftops. Even if you run past the big dude to take out the snipers before engaging him properly, that seems like a particularly mean setup.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, pro tip for anyone who wants to take on the huge optional boss in the factory - you don't have to take constant poison damage while doing so. Late in the level, there's a lever at the end of a set of large red pipes that's guarded by a flame-shoveller. It drains the poison swamps, making the Construct of the Future boss vastly easier.