Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Laxasia is no fuckin' joke, guess now is the time the game dials things up after letting me cruise since the green guy

I think this is my favorite fight in the game. Definitely not a pushover though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

docbeard posted:

I think this is my favorite fight in the game. Definitely not a pushover though.

It's really fun, I've just gotta execute and keep my fuckups to just a handful. The flipside of being weirdly capable at chaotic and/or group fights in these games is that I struggle with endurance contests, like how I died to the champ more than I did the rabbit redux

Got her to 20% on phase 2 on try 4 but stupidly switched up what was working and tried to throw stuff, which she shrugged off and annihilated me for. Shot putts as a throwable are just too funny to not use!! Will beat her tonight on a bigger screen than a legion go. Sending her biggest bullshit back is seriously satisfying.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Epic High Five posted:

Shot putts as a throwable are just too funny to not use!! Will beat her tonight on a bigger screen than a legion go. Sending her biggest bullshit back is seriously satisfying.

I hope you know that if you can get their life-bar glowing and put them into pre-stagger, then the Shot Put will immediately stagger them when you throw it in their face, no charged R2 needed.

If you didn't, now you do!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Added Wo Long to my to play list a couple days ago because it's on GamePass and why the hell not, now a Wo Long x Lies of P crossover just got announced. You're welcome.

Of course it will come after I've beaten the game, naturally

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

Added Wo Long to my to play list a couple days ago because it's on GamePass and why the hell not, now a Wo Long x Lies of P crossover just got announced. You're welcome.

It was announced a couple months ago :actually:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Item Getter posted:

It was announced a couple months ago :actually:
*rumble* Your springs are moving

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

It's really fun, I've just gotta execute and keep my fuckups to just a handful. The flipside of being weirdly capable at chaotic and/or group fights in these games is that I struggle with endurance contests, like how I died to the champ more than I did the rabbit redux

Got her to 20% on phase 2 on try 4 but stupidly switched up what was working and tried to throw stuff, which she shrugged off and annihilated me for. Shot putts as a throwable are just too funny to not use!! Will beat her tonight on a bigger screen than a legion go. Sending her biggest bullshit back is seriously satisfying.

Try staggering her in first phase and, instead of doing the fatal attack, break the shield on her back.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Laxasia down, 2nd try this morning, gotta love the performance buff you get from doing a bunch of attempts and then getting a full night's sleep haha. What an incredibly fun fight, and I decided to see if the talk about throwables being great was true now that I have the ergo to spend on them and they were fine. Very safe uncharged heavy attacks basically, though her phase 2 makes everything feel insanely dangerous. Feels like an expensive way to mostly skip a lot of bosses but didn't feel like any kind of magic bullet against her.

edit - that wasn't the weapon I was hoping to get from her ergo lol

apostateCourier posted:

Try staggering her in first phase and, instead of doing the fatal attack, break the shield on her back.

This was actually a super helpful tip, thank you. I hadn't realized it would stay broken in phase 2 but it does and that's when it can get to be a real pain in the rear end.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 7, 2024

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Man, that "hold down the fable button to charge up a giant smite attack" fable art is so good that I don't mind that it's basically duplicated on the booster glaive/pipe wrench combo. Honestly having an "I would like the thing I'm fighting to die now please" button that I can use either while blocking or not is an asset.

Also, my first run through the jumping puzzle section of the cathedral was a frustrating nightmare but I cleared it first try this time through. Is...is this what gitting gud is? Am I gud now? lol no

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJu5ocA0EkU

Next week we get a small free DLC with a costume and glaive weapon from Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. Happy Valentine's day!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Jesus amulets are heavy. Even just holding one weapon, trying to have Dancers Amulet and the one that gives free Pulse Charges puts me like 1% away from “Heavy”. Is it worth dumping points into capacity to stay “Normal”? I’m doing a Technique build.

Also, how far in is the respec person/thing? I just cleared the bunny kids.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Capacity is the most important stat in this game, it's worth however much you want to put into it, but yeah the boss amulets are heavy as hell so most builds are going to have 1 or usually 0. If I was using one it was the extreme modification amulet but usually I just stuck some relevant seeming normal one in each slot.

Earliest you can respec IIRC is when you get access to the golden money tree, it's a prompt that's easy to miss because collecting fruit kicks you out of the menu, I think interacting with it when it has zero fruit lets you continue past that prompt to the full menu

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Jesus amulets are heavy. Even just holding one weapon, trying to have Dancers Amulet and the one that gives free Pulse Charges puts me like 1% away from “Heavy”. Is it worth dumping points into capacity to stay “Normal”? I’m doing a Technique build.

Also, how far in is the respec person/thing? I just cleared the bunny kids.

1) only the boss amulets are that heavy. the others are sane. the boss ones are good though

2) it is very much worth investing in capacity

3) you would not believe how close you are to it

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah, investing in Capacity so you can equip boss amulets + best armor at all times while staying Normal is a Very Good Plan; especially if you don't really want to use boss weapons regularly, many of the amulets are incredibly good and strong. Arm of God + Pizza Cutter is very satisfying since they both stack damage based on successive hits. Extreme Modification just gives you a straight up damage boost, especially if you don't use Fable Arts often. The Nameless One's amulet is technically unreliable, but is good if you're a dope who takes a lot of damage like me because it procs often enough that you will feel it every time you get an extra free Pulse Cell.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I never would have checked that tree again, thanks!

Are there softcaps for stats? I'm at about 25 for Vitality and Technique, and I'll probably keep Vigor at 15~ and then push capacity as needed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Are there softcaps for stats? I'm at about 25 for Vitality and Technique, and I'll probably keep Vigor at 15~ and then push capacity as needed.

Gains are reduced at 40 and reduced further at 50

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

haveblue posted:

Gains are reduced at 40 and reduced further at 50

Okay, so it's just like lifting IRL.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

27 or 34 is when the scaling gets real bad for damage stats.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Simon Manus down, was a shockingly easy fight especially after the last one. Essentially every single death was down to me taking forever on the attempt and running out of resources because I was determined to see if his weapon would break. I've determined that, if it can, it's a trap to go for as I couldn't and I've got all skills that buff it and a huge rear end weapon.

On that, I retired my pipe wrench head with full honors after it did so wonderfully against Laxasia's first phase, to say nothing of it hard carrying me through every non-boss zone in the game and a lot of bosses, where it was perfectly lethal but I just preferred the extended moveset on the Holy Ark sword unless spacing is a real nightmare or they resist slash. It has been replaced, on the same booster glaive handle of course, by the Mjolnir head which does a bit more damage but looks unsatisfyingly "clean", and gets a free buff I'll never use because 5 fable bars with the extreme modification amulet is better than anything I could use those bars on lol. I ended up using the ark sword on this last fellow and it just ripped him to pieces.

Now, onto what is probably the true final boss. I'm happy to say I still got the portrait prize just after winning by picking the more action movie climax scene response, which I was worried about because I apparently missed two whole rear end NPCs and their relevant quests and records lmao

edit - the boss weapon reward is incredible, but alas also the only time I've really felt zero hyperarmor in this game makes a slow weapon actually not terribly good. I do like that its so clearly a NG+ weapon that, like sen toss, it assume you've got loads of currency you don't know what to do with lol

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 8, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
His weapon does the flash when you parry so I assume it can, but I never pulled it off either

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

haveblue posted:

His weapon does the flash when you parry so I assume it can, but I never pulled it off either

I looked it up afterward to confirm and it indeed can be, but I've got both ranks of enhance and using a big heavy stupid weapon and never felt like I even got close because when I did feel like I was, I'd eventually give up, fight him regular while still perfect guarding when I can, and STILL never get it. It would've been so funny!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

And that's the game done, true final boss was a loving blast but is also exactly the kind of boss I am most comfortable with so it was down in 5 tries. I can now state confidently that the Holy Ark sword will not only get you through the game, it will move you through it like a hot knife through butter. It's a testament then, that I feel like I can confidently say that about any number of weapons, including a lot of ones I built myself. Which is probably my favorite new feature. Got a lot of thoughts but right now they're mostly just how pumped I am for whatever this studio does next after that post-credits scene. Just an incredible game and the first time I've felt like a dev other than Fromsoft just gets it about what makes these kind of games fun. It also ran better than any modern Fromsoft game on my handheld, half thanks to FSR and half to it just being an amazingly optimized and bug-free experience.

If I'd played it last year it would've been my GOTY, but instead it will have to be Best Game Whose Title Screen Features A Throbbing P-Organ

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh and I cannot recommend Shot Puts highly enough. They do great damage on their own but being able to get the stagger on a white bar from a distance and quickly on top of that, they really saved my rear end quite a few times. I get why they made them so expensive but they're no doubt the one that is most worth it. I'd even use them up close because it felt like I could get to attacking it more quickly.

edit - oh and it is way too easy to bounce weapons off walls.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 9, 2024

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Epic High Five posted:

I can now state confidently that the Holy Ark sword will not only get you through the game, it will move you through it like a hot knife through butter.

Did you use it mostly in sword form or extended form? I found sword form slow and terrible but extended form was incredible and carried me through the mid-game

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Febreeze posted:

Did you use it mostly in sword form or extended form? I found sword form slow and terrible but extended form was incredible and carried me through the mid-game

Extended exclusively, I liked the shortened form conceptually but it and the weapon from the true final boss are the only two I feel really suffer for lack of hyper armor because they're juuuuust too slow to have almost no real openings.

One thing you can do that I never did because it's too many button presses for me to be assed, is shorten it before a critical or big hit because you get a 5 second huge damage boost in the same way you get the stamina use reduction going to glaive, and apparently the alter can be worked into combos. This is good for either fatal attacks or the patient smash weapon art the base form has (extended is the fun flurry)

This game is a game of perfect guards and working in as many charged R2s as you can, and the glaive form has both great guard damage reduction and snappy R2s for how much damage they do.

The real killer for the base form for me was the lack of an uncharged heavy poke, which is just insanely good and does weapon class instead of move type levels of stagger, as well as a surprisingly quick followup. Ultimately if I needed something chonky and reach isn't a concern, whatever monstrosity I had assembled in my 2nd weapon slot would do the job

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Yeah the ability to poke was the reason I loved it. Finally something with range that wasn't too slow. The charged heavy spin also had killer range. It was like having the Bloodborne Ludwig's holy blade stab and the hunter axe spin on the same weapon. Only downside was needing to use a fable art charge to transform it everytime which meant upon death I always had to rebuild the fable art meter. Mild inconvenience but it was still inconvenient and I'd occasionally forget after respawning and rush into battle only to get messed up because I forgot I had to transform it again

I eventually switched in the last third of the game to the Police Baton handle with the Bone Cutting sawblade because it also had decent range and the charged r2 comes out so fast, and it was lighter so I could carry a backup weapon without fat rolling

I'm curious what weapon/handle/blade is the least used. The Baton handle is awesome but the Baton head wasn't any good

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 9, 2024

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Febreeze posted:

Yeah the ability to poke was the reason I loved it. Finally something with range that wasn't too slow. The charged heavy spin also had killer range. It was like having the Bloodborne Ludwig's holy blade stab and the hunter axe spin on the same weapon. Only downside was needing to use a fable art charge to transform it everytime which meant upon death I always had to rebuild the fable art meter. Mild inconvenience but it was still inconvenient and I'd occasionally forget after respawning and rush into battle only to get messed up because I forgot I had to transform it again

I eventually switched in the last third of the game to the Police Baton handle with the Bone Cutting sawblade because it also had decent range and the charged r2 comes out so fast, and it was lighter so I could carry a backup weapon without fat rolling

I ended up taking the pulse cell charges your fable bar p-organ secondary skill so I'd just pop 8 in a row and touch the stargazer again lol. Like you said it was never an issue because against bosses you get all your stuff back at the door, and field enemies are never really that big of a deal even end game. A small price to pay for all the upsides of a weapon that is basically an Elden Ring Zweihander

I ditched the baton handle for the booster glaive basically as soon as I could. Scaling means nothing in NG as far as I could tell, but moveset is king and being able to shoot across a gap to deliver a pipe wrench head sandwich essentially nullified the biggest drawback of heavy, slow weapons in this game

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I think what i’d most like the DLC to be is a time travel thing like in Dark Souls 1’s DLC. where you go back to the day the puppets rebellion or plague first hit Krat.

I’d love more lore/boss fights/obtainable gear from the Black Rabbit Brotherhood, the two stalker factions, and Romeo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
How plentiful are upgrade materials in the latter part of the game? Doing a dex build and just got my first moonstone to upgrade the umbrella to level 4 but wondering if I should save it for another weapon later? What's the cool and good dex build again? In chapter 7 atm

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Actually no i don't have that item yet lmao I thought I picked one up from a butterfly. Anyway, how many boss weapons can you conceivably level to max in a single run?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

How plentiful are upgrade materials in the latter part of the game? Doing a dex build and just got my first moonstone to upgrade the umbrella to level 4 but wondering if I should save it for another weapon later? What's the cool and good dex build again? In chapter 7 atm

Everything except the final tier of upgrade materials becomes available in unlimited amounts from Polendina eventually. There are enough full moonstones of the covenant to upgrade 2 boss weapons to +5 with a couple spare left over (not enough to fully upgrade 3 though). It is probably a good idea to hold on to them until you're sure you want to take a weapon to +5 though, since you don't have a ton of wiggle room to spread them around. There is a particularly good technique boss weapon that you'll be getting pretty soon.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 11, 2024

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

fridge corn posted:

How plentiful are upgrade materials in the latter part of the game?

You can upgrade any regular weapon to +9 and any boss weapon to +3 with no worries.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Everything except the final tier of upgrade materials becomes available in unlimited amounts from Polendina eventually. There are enough full moonstones of the covenant to upgrade 2 boss weapons to +5 with a couple spare left over (not enough to fully upgrade 3 though). It is probably a good idea to hold on to them until you're sure you want to take a weapon to +5 though, since you don't have a ton of wiggle room to spread them around. There is a particularly good technique boss weapon that you'll be getting pretty soon.

Elman posted:

You can upgrade any regular weapon to +9 and any boss weapon to +3 with no worries.

:cheers:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Walker of Illusions is the first brick wall I hit. I died like 20 times until my partner was like "just slow down and break his weapon" and I won (didn't break it though). Two Dragon sword is cool and flashy, but I just respecced Advance (30) and some in Technique and did the Salamander Blade with the Acid Spear Handle. that thing slaps. Finally have a use for the Fable Arts item because hitting Triangle and doing like 50% more damage is crazy good.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

All beginning players should be aware there’s like 7 total Advance weapons, and 2 of them are found in the last area.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Advance does boost the elemental legion arms as well, and the advance weapons that do exist are pretty good, but yeah it seems like going advance heavy isn't really worth it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Just found the live puppet axe and stuck it on the booster glaive handle and holy gently caress I just poo poo out tons of damage now. This game owns so much

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

We need more handles like Booster Glaive that give you cool movement and approach options.

We also need like 5 more Advance weapon drops in first half of the game.

Also it would be cool if attack stats gave more than like a 20% damage boost at 40+.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Is there that much of a difference between being unencumbered to being "slightly heavy"? I don't seem to notice it much. How imperative is it to keep your weight below 60%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Is there that much of a difference between being unencumbered to being "slightly heavy"? I don't seem to notice it much. How imperative is it to keep your weight below 60%?

Unencumbered is kind of like the ninja flip ring in DS1. Slightly heavy is your normal Souls fast roll.

The extra iframes from unencumbered are nice, but not worth stripping away all your good gear. It probably won't be worth hitting the unencumbered mark until some extra bonuses in NG++.