Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Oh cool I guess I'll stop worrying about it so much and throw some boss amulets on :D

All the little mechanics in this game are a hell of a lot of fun to play with and honestly I'm having more fun with this game than I ever did with any of the Dark Souls games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, I'm replaying with the music off and the volume up and this game has atmosphere. I never noticed there is so much noise around Krat during the early game. You can hear whispering at windows here:

and a baby crying in the distance if you stand right here:

As well as a man who gasps and runs away from this window when you walk by:

A whole pack of (real) dogs go nuts when you pass by City Hall, and on the other side of the walls you can hear Venigni Works clanking away before you even arrive. It is wild how many unique sounds and setpieces there are.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Re: Weight Talk; don't be afraid to go over 60% into Slightly Heavy, it's a noticeable but not insurmountable difference. Absolutely do NOT go over 80% into Heavy, at which point you will be in molassestown. Toward the end of my first playthrough I was riding that 79% pretty hard, balancing my Capacity level ups as best I could.

If you plan to play the game through a few times, there is a P-Organ upgrade unlocked in your New Game++ that will drop you a full weight class so that staying "Normal" will instead make you "Light" and you can finally be a zoomy-boy with tons of poo poo equipped.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Once you go NG++ and beyond, Capacity is your most important stat. Notable is that it does not really have a soft cap, damage stats fall off hard above 35, but capacity just keeps on trucking. Once you can equip 4 boss amulets, max your defensive gear, and light roll, then just dump your points into vitality forever.

I think a good stat build is something like:

NG:
Damage stat(s) to about 25.
Stamina + Vitality to 25.
Capacity to 20 ish.
Then Capacity + Stamina + Vitality to 30 each.

NG+:
Vitality to 30+.
Capacity up around 45-50 to equip 4 amulets and highest defense with Slightly Heavy roll.
Then damage stats to 35.

NG+:
Capacity until light roll.
Damage stats to 40.
Then Vitality to 1000+

This progression feels like a good bet on what you need when you need it, and the main reason for this progression is just basically where the soft caps are and where your points stop being useful. (For example you only need so much stamina then can simply stop, but more health never stops being useful.)
I think once you reach a certain point like NG+++++ everything will simply one shot you, and then you can probably respec to remove all your points in vitality and remove your defensive gear to save some capacity, and put all that into damage instead, because while it only adds like 3% more at that point you die in one touch anyway. But I haven't made it that far so its just a theory.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 13, 2024

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

These are really cool, thank you for pointing them out. I checked all the other lit windows in the chapter to see if they also have secret audio and found:
Cats meowing
A dog(?) grumbling
Two survivors, one coughing, one shushing the other
Old man wheezing
more whispering
Something wooden creaking
Plague afflicted person (2 different variants)
Glass/jars breaking
And a bizarre one that i can only describe as a stake being driven into something

If anyone here has a half hour to kill i recommend checking them out. Just keep in mind not all windows have anything

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Bisse posted:

This progression feels like a good bet on what you need when you need it, and the main reason for this progression is just basically where the soft caps are and where your points stop being useful. (For example you only need so much stamina then can simply stop, but more health never stops being useful.)
I think once you reach a certain point like NG+++++ everything will simply one shot you, and then you can probably respec to remove all your points in vitality and remove your defensive gear to save some capacity, and put all that into damage instead, because while it only adds like 3% more at that point you die in one touch anyway. But I haven't made it that far so its just a theory.

Having gone through to NG+4, this isn't quite the case.

Nikumatic has already brought this up, but you unlock additional P-Organ tiers in NG+ and NG++ - the final tier has an ability that just reduces your weight class by one, giving you "light" weight class at <60%. Additionally, there are +1 and +2 versions of all of the defensive gear items that not only provide more defense but also are heavier to equip. These combine to permit you to use the best defensive gear, without which you probably would get one shot, and can equip your choice of heavy boss talismans and multiple arms and still have "light" weight.

One of the other things in NG+ and beyond is that past level 80ish, the level-up curve mostly flattens, while in NG+ enemy rewards increase substantially. Basically by the end of NG, your level ups will have tapered off to a trickle, whereas in NG+ level-ups start flooding in.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Also while I didn't do more than dip a toe into NG+++, the equipment upgrades do stop at +2 so there's no more new equipment once you get that far. I'm not sure how/if the enemies continue to scale in NG+++ and beyond.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Nikumatic posted:

Also while I didn't do more than dip a toe into NG+++, the equipment upgrades do stop at +2 so there's no more new equipment once you get that far. I'm not sure how/if the enemies continue to scale in NG+++ and beyond.

I didn't go past it, but NG+4 is supposedly the limit to difficulty scaling. The difficulty increase past NG+1 wasn't particularly noticeable, although it did exist.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Bisse posted:

Yeah ng+4 is where i considered the amulet that gives 10% damage reduction because otherwise its 2 shot city at max hp

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

New Wo Long collaboration weapon seems pretty sick, as someone with zero levels invested in technique (cranks up to B motivity tho which is perfectly fine) it felt noticeably but not cripplingly worse than the altered Holy Ark sword which is my first love, and my 2nd bread and butter Coil Mjolnir head on booster glaive handle is so different that it's tough to compare but if I had to pick, it'd be the caveman weapon 100% of the time.

The fable arts are nice, the attack is all the good stuff with proof of humanity and none of the fluff, and the guard parry is an odd bird because it's a block and dodge with an optional light or heavy followup, both of which will do devastating damage (though good luck landing the light since the first part has you dodging back), and the heavy offers no hyperarmor so can be tricky. It's really great damage and stagger tho, they're worth the risk. I'm 90% sure that perfect guarding with the fable also refunds the fable art spent to block which is huge. It's only 1 bar so it's low risk, high reward with a high risk, high reward followup, all combining to be zero cost if pulled off right. If you like the TDS you'll probably like this.

The biggest issue I think is that while it's pretty balanced for an endgame weapon, it's head and shoulders above any of the other starters and you get it first thing, which takes some steam out of the assembly system which is my favorite new thing about the game and really shines in the first half especially.

Oh and the 2nd attack in the light attack is actually a 2 hit combo, it's good quick damage but ends up taking longer than you'll expect if you're used to any other weapon so can get you in trouble.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I finally got this game on steam - I played through most of it on gamepass until i hit a brick wall named Laxasia and just stopped playing because I wasn't enjoying it. I saw it was on sale and figured it was time to give it another shot. This time, I made it through the first few chapters pretty quickly, with only a couple stumbles here and there. It was pretty satisfying to take out the street cop (the one who drops the baton) and the fire-bots in the factory without taking any damage. Fuoco took 4 tries this time around instead of one, and Parade Master and Scrapped Watchman only took 2 or 3. The Resident Evil homage in the Elysion streets area, with the dogs jumping out the windows into the alley (near the sick boy), still got a chuckle out of me, even though I knew it was coming.

But now I'm up to the Cathedral of Saint Frangelico. gently caress Saint Frangelico AND the one-winged angel he met. I finally managed to get up to the brazier so I could open up the secret room down below, and hit the shortcut lever, and then got absolutely bodied by the shield-arm zombie.

The game still rules, but gently caress The Cathedral (and Chapter XI).

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So finished the game, Laxasia was way harder than the final bosses

I was going to do NG+ and try the coil hammer, but do I have to get all the way to the golden tree again. To reset my stats?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I was going to do NG+ and try the coil hammer, but do I have to get all the way to the golden tree again. To reset my stats?

Not if you unlocked the Saintess statue - you will keep that teleport point even on NG+.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just finished the game. Really fucken good game. That post credits scene had me hooting and hollering lmao

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just got past the Door Guardian again in my current playthrough.

It's a bad gimmick and a bad fight and I hate it. Not looking for advice (I know how to beat him, and just did), just venting some, as one does.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I got real confused by that fight at first because no matter how many times I hit his unarmored leg, for whatever reason, it was just never staggering him. Perfect guarding all his stuff over and over, same deal, no stagger. This mind you was with either the Holy Ark sword or a pipe wrench head boost glaive, absolute monsters of staggering. Then I went in with a barely upgraded elemental dagger and got him in like 30 seconds.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

I got real confused by that fight at first because no matter how many times I hit his unarmored leg, for whatever reason, it was just never staggering him. Perfect guarding all his stuff over and over, same deal, no stagger. This mind you was with either the Holy Ark sword or a pipe wrench head boost glaive, absolute monsters of staggering. Then I went in with a barely upgraded elemental dagger and got him in like 30 seconds.
sounds like you got gud

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I think he just follows his own stagger rules and it's just about stacking damage on his weak spot, so just hitting him over and over is better than doing heavy attacks, and fast weapons are more beneficial than slow. (Which didn't stop me from trying some good ol' Booster Glaive Charges and eating poo poo a few times til I remembered).

Still did it this time with my Booster Glaive + Puppet Axe Head which is my current favorite, but I think the Salamander Dagger is probably the most effective weapon against him.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

How much longer do I have after the Door (Dork) Guardian? Just like, assuming I can take down the bosses in 20 minutes each or so. I like this game but at 28 hours I'm kinda over it at this point.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Caesar Saladin posted:

How much longer do I have after the Door (Dork) Guardian? Just like, assuming I can take down the bosses in 20 minutes each or so. I like this game but at 28 hours I'm kinda over it at this point.

You're pretty close to the end, assuming 20 minutes per boss I'd say... Maybe 2-3 hours tops?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Caesar Saladin posted:

The last chapter is significantly longer than the others, but you have 2 and possibly 3 major bosses remaining

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

You’re in the last area/chapter and will probably finish what’s left in a single game session. I promise you the game still has some cool surprises left so try and stick with it.

e: Imho the end stretch of the game starting from, say, the swamp boss, is fantastic. It gets so goddamn weird.

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 22, 2024

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well I'm back to the absolute loving brick wall that is the Nameless Puppet. Hooray.

Stage one is pretty reasonable. Stage two it appears the necessary strategy is 'get back the reaction time I had when I was 10 years old somehow'. Even with the perfect block grindstone I usually last about ten seconds.

I don't want to bail on the fight but I'm sure not loving beating him tonight.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Are you trying to dodge? I felt he was pretty straightforward focusing on blocking and getting a charged heavy in as often as possible. It's a real feat because there is no margin for error but the p-organ skill that restored health on perfect guard and shot puts to get the staggers helped a lot to get me room to learn to perfect guard just enough to survive. Also mega amounts of capacity so you have as high a defense as possible

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Are you trying to dodge? I felt he was pretty straightforward focusing on blocking and getting a charged heavy in as often as possible. It's a real feat because there is no margin for error but the p-organ skill that restored health on perfect guard and shot puts to get the staggers helped a lot to get me room to learn to perfect guard just enough to survive. Also mega amounts of capacity so you have as high a defense as possible

Some dodging, some blocking, dodging actually seems to work better for me (he's a bit like Malenia in that other game where dodging into his attacks works best most of the time) but even with a bunch of all the good stats (vitality, vigor, capacity) I only really need to gently caress up once, maybe twice, even with the best defensive gear I've got. (No loving way am I capable of perfect-blocking him reliably on my own.)

I might try respeccing so I can use the grindstone twice because I did get him down to half health once letting him tire himself out on my blocking and then staggering him shortly thereafter, so I might be able to get in a twofer.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

docbeard posted:

Some dodging, some blocking, dodging actually seems to work better for me (he's a bit like Malenia in that other game where dodging into his attacks works best most of the time) but even with a bunch of all the good stats (vitality, vigor, capacity) I only really need to gently caress up once, maybe twice, even with the best defensive gear I've got. (No loving way am I capable of perfect-blocking him reliably on my own.)

I might try respeccing so I can use the grindstone twice because I did get him down to half health once letting him tire himself out on my blocking and then staggering him shortly thereafter, so I might be able to get in a twofer.

I was able to beat his second form using 2 auto parrying grindstones without learning how to dodge or block his attacks at all.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

docbeard posted:

For his phase 2 big flurries, that was the only time I could get tapping block to work well, and with the skill I'd typically heal as much as I lost. If it didn't work, just blocking and using a pulse cell to just survive was the fallback. I had 30 vitality and all the highest damage mitigation gear on, and your puppet axe has the highest block in the game so should work well at just keeping it up if needed.

It ain't easy, but he's not a tank either so every little bit it clicks means a lot of progress in the fight itself. Always worth sleeping on it so your knowledge of the fight can move from your brain to your muscles.

That 2x grindstone is real nice, especially for the opener. I never got a good real on that horrible lunge, it chunked me every time lol. I used the Holy Ark sword which was nice because between the lunge and the fast charged R2 I had a response to everything it pulled out, but the booster glaive handle mjolnir head also worked well.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

For his phase 2 big flurries, that was the only time I could get tapping block to work well, and with the skill I'd typically heal as much as I lost. If it didn't work, just blocking and using a pulse cell to just survive was the fallback. I had 30 vitality and all the highest damage mitigation gear on, and your puppet axe has the highest block in the game so should work well at just keeping it up if needed.

It ain't easy, but he's not a tank either so every little bit it clicks means a lot of progress in the fight itself. Always worth sleeping on it so your knowledge of the fight can move from your brain to your muscles.

That 2x grindstone is real nice, especially for the opener. I never got a good real on that horrible lunge, it chunked me every time lol. I used the Holy Ark sword which was nice because between the lunge and the fast charged R2 I had a response to everything it pulled out, but the booster glaive handle mjolnir head also worked well.

I decided to try it a few more times in case the tried-and-true strategy of Complaining On The Internet helped. (It did a little, I was doing pretty well until my weapon broke lmao, and my controller's out of juice now anyway so I really do need to sleep on it I guess!)

I think what I'm lacking right now is knowing when I can safely get an attack in, and I can kind of see it from here now, so it feels a bit more doable than it did a bit ago, but goddamn, I wish I could summon Ten Year Old Me to do this. Ten Year Old Me was good at this poo poo. (Ten year old me was mostly playing Commodore 64 platformers but that's beside the point)

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Using the dream stone that regens HP over time also helped me.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, after a good night's sleep and a perfect guard/two grindstones focused respec I'm somehow doing worse this morning.

I'm obsessive enough I'm going to keep throwing myself at this but also I got other poo poo to play so maybe not right now.

(I lied it was right now and this time the Complaining On The Internet magic worked and I got him)

docbeard fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 24, 2024

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Now for NG+, in which I beat up an army of puppets with my own nose

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

CJacobs posted:

Man, I'm replaying with the music off and the volume up and this game has atmosphere. I never noticed there is so much noise around Krat during the early game. You can hear whispering at windows here:

and a baby crying in the distance if you stand right here:

As well as a man who gasps and runs away from this window when you walk by:

A whole pack of (real) dogs go nuts when you pass by City Hall, and on the other side of the walls you can hear Venigni Works clanking away before you even arrive. It is wild how many unique sounds and setpieces there are.

Cool post. Do you often replay games without music like that? I’ve never even considered that. Normally I listen to my own music on following playthroughs.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I thought NP was way harder, since Laxasia dies pretty quick if you buff your weapon with uhhh poison? Forgot the name.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kefa posted:

I thought NP was way harder, since Laxasia dies pretty quick if you buff your weapon with uhhh poison? Forgot the name.

Acid. Generally speaking, puppets are weak to electric, carcasses are weak to fire, and (modified) humans are weak to acid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And despite the name, nameless puppet is weak to acid

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

haveblue posted:

And despite the name, nameless puppet is weak to acid

What name?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scholtz posted:

What name?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

The wo long weapon is so much fun, just started NG+. Hopefully I’ll be able to get to the bosses fast, I don’t remember the levels being too complicated to navigate.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

okay holy gently caress poo poo, NG+ is a lot harder, at least for me
feels like bosses have A LOT more health and deal A LOT more damage, which sucks because now my character is stuck in NG+ for DLC as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kefa posted:

okay holy gently caress poo poo, NG+ is a lot harder, at least for me
feels like bosses have A LOT more health and deal A LOT more damage, which sucks because now my character is stuck in NG+ for DLC as well

The trick is the NG+ P-Organ stuff is wild, and the NG++ P-Organ upgrades are busted good.

One of them is straight up lowering your weight tier by 1 level. I.e normal becomes light, slightly heavy becomes normal, heavy becomes slightly heavy and overweight becomes heavy.

Also remember to match your elements. Puppet = Electric, Carcass = Fire, Weapon/Human/Alchemist = Acid.

Also, also, NG+ doesn't scale over the game as much. It's kind of flatter in terms of enemy stat growth compared to the initial playthrough.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 18, 2024