Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Most important feature: You can duct tape the handle of any non-boss weapon to the blade of any other non-boss weapon to mix and match hitboxes and movesets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bugblatter posted:

There are a few situations where a person could be a mini-boss or an ally. The pair of hunters above the poison pool in the Factory were another example.

Would they have attacked me if I hadn't happened to be wearing mad donkey's outfit?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rapier is good for getting out charged attacks because it is quick and has a fair amount of forward momentum.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

AceOfFlames posted:

This game is loving great. Probably my #2 GOTY (BG3 being #1). It's not perfect and definitely not as good as a proper FromSoft game but it does what it sought out to do extremely well.

I think it might even be better than DS3.

I made a new toy. Game good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Phoix posted:

The hilt system is bizarre and basically just encourages you to put the highest damage blade you can find on the fastest hilt with the best scaling for your build. I was not expecting my dex build to be a rapier hilt with a giant thrusting wrench

The blade does seem to actually affect the speed of your attacks, and I think they are oriented towards slashing or stabbing so a pokey handle won't do much handle with an axe blade.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just met the Puppet King for the first time and this is the second occasion that I've been like "how is this not an endboss???" This game kicks so much rear end.

Also the Black Rabbit Brotherhood fight is the most interesting and fun iteration of a "gank squad" boss I have ever seen.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Queering Wheel posted:

For those of y'all going with a strength build, what weapon builds are working well for you? I've stuck with Booster Glaive + Police Baton handle which was working well for quite a while, but it's starting to be less effective against later enemies. The attack speed is not that great and the reach is low. I've switched the handle to the Bone-Cutting handle and my brief testing of it seems promising. I like that the ability lets you poise through enemy attacks, which the Police Baton lacks.

I'd recommend either not using the Booster Glaive handle or sticking a crank on it. It's a heavy weapon, but it scales harder with Technique (Dex) than Motivity (strength).

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone got tips for a friend?

Tell them to take a try or two not doing any attacks on the boss. Just learn the timing of attacks and most importantly, learn the timing of the perfect guard. Perfect guard is the most important tool in the game for avoiding damage. Dodging and regular blocks have their place in the game, but perfect guard is the most important.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oh I misread. Well from what I've seen (not an expert on the strength end of things), the police baton is more of a quick attack weapon. Good if you're not confident finding windows to do big hits.

I've been using booster glaive handle + bonecutting saw blade and it's a fantastic heavy weapon for a dex build. Hits like an absolute truck with good reach and good fable attacks, the one real downside being that it breaks really quickly so I need to actually remember to mid-combat repair more often.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Scrapped Watchman is there to teach you to love the perfect block.

King's Flame is there to teach you that sometimes, it's easier to just get out of the way.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How to tell if something can be broken: Does it flash white when you perfect guard? If so, it can be broken.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I used this baby at +5 and was able to hit both the Eldest and his current buddy at once sometimes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Centusin posted:

I have a weird issue where I get murdered by elites over and over but then do alright with the bosses

that's just called "playing a soulsborne game"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like maybe the appearance change should be tagged, it was a neat surprise

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nikumatic posted:

Chapter 7 has one of the funniest goddamn game design jokes I've seen in a while.

You fight goddamn brick wall of a shield robot in the factory, and I was super glad to see the back of him once I took him down. Then he shows up again in the Grand Exhibition, this time surrounded by three electrical bomb throwing assholes you need to take out before you can properly fight your old friend. But you can also just once again run past him if you took that route in the factory. You move on, and climb up some ladders.

And then there's the shield robot, standing on a goddamn one-person-wide rafter.

The boss of the chapter became an official member of the one-and-done club, first boss in the game to do so.

I'm surprised you blasted through the boss that easily, he took me over an hour.

That game design joke was fantastic though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

extreme pity for anyone who decides to just fight the shield dude on the rafter you find him at

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nikumatic posted:

I did it just to see if he dropped anything at least

it doesn’t lol

I killed it too but I pulled it OFF the rafter

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sens cathedral

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Been saying this game is gonna kick rear end since the demo, love to be vindicated.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Those bridges are designed for humans, y'all are way above the weight limit

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Acid causes weapon decay so I think it's generally good against bosses who gently caress you up with a weapon. I don't know about damage vulnerability though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Isn't that what advance cranks are for?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The one that gives a damage boost when you perfect guard is a pretty big boost for one attack, and you should be perfect guarding often so it procs a lot.

It's pretty loving heavy and competes with the cool-rear end trick weapon greatsword though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

After Scrapped Watchman teaches you to love the perfect guard, Fuoco is there to teach you that sometimes it's easier to just get out of the way.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tip for squeezing extra damage on staggered enemies: If you have a weapon with solid reach and forward momentum (booster glaive is a good example), stand behind the fatal attack spot and attack a few times. The combo will carry you into the sweet spot and then you get the big hit.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

WarpedLichen posted:

I was trying to figure out how to disassemble weapons to mix and match and I destroyed the greatsword of fate I just bought from the merchant. I guess I'm not getting another one huh?

Any weapon you disassemble can be reassembled.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like runbacks as a downtime between attempts.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Regy Rusty posted:

There are more annoying miniboss runs than full boss runs I've found. The miniboss in Rosa Isabelle really irritated me because of all the other enemies I had to clear out each attempt.

If you ran past and hit the stargazer, you would be able to fight the miniboss without needing to fight any enemies. :eng101:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

oh no I just made the boss weapon from boss 8 and this thing is so dang cool

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

god drat the twin dragon blade is so cool

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The shovel slap that keeps knocking you down as you try to get up is simultaneously frustrating and hilarious.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oh drat there's another roll below 30%?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've heard some people say that large/slow weapons are terrible, glad to hear they're just as viable.

Booster glaive handle is consistently great for dex builds, and attaching the bonesaw blade to it has been top tier for the entire game since then. Also got the Twin Dragon Blade for when I want to be especially stylish.

edit: This game legitimately has the best weapon variety of any soulsborne game I have played, including all the From originals.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 24, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ultrachrist posted:

Some serious RNG in these boss moves. I had a few attempts on p2 Fuoco where I bravely raced through artillery strikes only for him to use both red moves back to back and escape to do it again. Then in the kill attempt I backed that fucker into a corner while he feebly spun at me or shot over my head. Somewhat anticlimactic.

Still haven’t unlocked this, either missed something or it comes later than I’d expect.

Boss weapons unlock in chapter 4 (fuoco is the chapter 3 boss)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The only thing that prevents this from being my game of the year is Baldur's Gate 3. This manages to beat out Remnant 2, Hi-Fi RUSH and Pizza Tower.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Welcome Bear has emigrated from Hillsbrad.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

As of the final appearance change I'm loving the White Lady outfit.

Also the boss of chapter 11 is great. Perfect balance of challenge and fairness. Really helps that I got the upgrade that lets me use my free resin twice so I could use it once in each phase.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo the parry window is fine because the tells for the attacks are so good and readable. The one exception I've seen being the (final???) boss Simon Manus.

The boss just before this one was utterly superb.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just got the payoff for the portrait.

This game is incredible.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"Types" meaning if a blade is designed for stabbing or slashing. If you try to poke someone with a hammer or swing a rapier at them, you'll ear a damage penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

For me this game's difficulty hits the perfect balanced sweet spot of brutal but fair and rewarding, so I hope they don't do a balance pass that just nerfs the difficulty altogether by increasing parry frames or whatever.

A togglable mode for people who feel it is too unforgiving would be cool though, I'd love to see more people able to enjoy the game in a way that diminish the experience for people who like it where it's af.