Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SirSamVimes posted:

Most important feature: You can duct tape the handle of any non-boss weapon to the blade of any other non-boss weapon to mix and match hitboxes and movesets.

As an addendum, since each weapon's attribute scaling is tied to the handle (along with the weapon's moveset, speed of attack etc), you might be tempted to use the cranks you can find, which can switch a handle's ability scaling from A Strength, - Magic to B Strength, D Magic (for instance).

Be careful where you use those because you do NOT get too many. I very casually used an Advance Crank (the game's equivalent to elemental damage) on a weapon that already had decent Advance scaling to improve it even further because I figured out I could just buy lots more from the vendors. You can't. You can buy precisely a total of three each per playthrough, and you find one or two of each more. And two of the three vendor items are fairly late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Martman posted:

Apparently the boss of Chapter 4, Archbishop Andreus, is becoming That Boss for a lot of people, aka the first significant wall that breaks people's will and causes them to go on pissed off internet rants. I thought it was awesome honestly. Took me like 10-15 tries but there was almost always significant progress, he looks cool and freaky, and I liked the way it seemed built to interact in interesting ways with the Specter helper.

Yeah that fight wasn't terribly easy. I leaned heavily on the flamethrower Legion arm and the Salamander dagger. Set his loving creepy rear end on fire, then smack him around for bonus fire damage. Still took me a lot of attempts.

Centusin posted:

I have a weird issue where I get murdered by elites over and over but then do alright with the bosses

Honestly the elites in this game are rougher than most bosses. They're so loving fast, have long combos, do so much damage and are often so difficult to read that you'll just eat poo poo on them constantly.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 21, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah, I felt really good about beating the chapter 4 boss, then got repeatedly shithoused by that random zombie bear in the next area.

Yeah, it was a hilarious surprise when the loving Welcome Bear wasn't a one-off elite, but a recurring enemy. I ran face first into him after starting again from the Stargazer and got the poo poo murdered out of me

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Extremely shoddy workmanship on the bridges in this game. Had like five of them collapse underneath me already and I've only done two of the major bosses.

I know, right? I'm in chapter 6 and I'm at the point where every time I see a bridge, I assume it's just going to collapse.

I am also increasingly bummed out by the fact that so far I have not seen a single Advance boss weapon. The boss amulets also don't seem to be TOO amazing, so I'm not getting a lot of out of these boss souls.

Has anyone figured out the elemental vulnerabilities of enemies? Using electricity on robots is logical, and the game outright spells it out at the start of the Vegnini Factory with an in-game lore item. Likewise I'm pretty sure I saw a lore item mention that fire is useful on the "blue eyes", and it definitely seems to work really well on the loving zombies and human enemies. But what about acid? I tried to use the Acid Crystal Spear on the Black Rabbit Brotherhood, but it didn't seem to be doing much of anything.

So far my go-to Advance weapons are the Blitz Mace (sold by a vendor in the House on Elysium Boulevard in Chapter 2) and then the Salamander Knife blade on the Acid Crystal Spear handle. You get fast attacks and good reach on your pokes that way. Haven't found a good replacement handle for the Blitz Mace head, because it sucks for stabbing and all the Advance handles I've found are stabby/slicy.

E:

OH! And raising humanity. Lying probably does it, and it seems that listening to records does as well, because after listening to new records you often get a "Your ergo is responding" type message. But have you found other ways? I assume the Portrait of a Boy you find after the Black Rabbit Brotherhood fight is related to this because the item's lore mentions a painter named D. Gray (so obv. Dorian Gray) can paint a soul into his paintings, and apparently the cat that hangs around the hotel will also start responding to you more positively the more humanity you have.

But how do I raise it?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 22, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'll just let you know right now to save you disappointment: There aren't any. Not a single one. In fact there are only 7 Advance hilts in the entire game, and two of them come EXTREMELY late.

That's honestly a baffling oversight. You can't even customize the existing boss weapons so tough poo poo if you went advance, I guess.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah that's the bummer: they weigh a loving ton. This is already a game where you can't even have a second weapon equipped unless you want to severely weighed down, and then you throw in loving 12 weight amulets.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

(Chapter 6 miniboss) The White Lady can eat my rear end. God drat that was an unfun fight of a boss just CONSTANTLY spamming attacks and not really giving you any time to attack or even take a breath.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Also they're really cranking up the horror around Rosa Isabelle Street.

That loving building with the Maids and then the weird loving crawling child puppet torsos creeped me the gently caress out. And it doesn't get much better in the sewers.

Love it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Darth Walrus posted:

She uses a rapier, which is a light, brittle weapon (good for parrying) with a narrow hitbox (good for dodging). Not insurmountable by any means.

Yeah I fgured her weapon was going to be real easy to break. It never broke, and I probably got more perfect parries on her than on my other bosses combined. I did eventually get her down by just attacking with my quickest weapon and then immediately parrying when she inevitably attacked through my animation, but it was frustrating as hell.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Moon Monster posted:

This game's dedication to the "boss run" concept kinda really sucks!

Really? I'm in the Rosa Isabella area, and I can't remember any bad ones. Definitely after Elden Ring the sparsity of bonfires is sometimes noticeable, but it hasn't annoyed me yet.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SirSamVimes posted:

If you ran past and hit the stargazer, you would be able to fight the miniboss without needing to fight any enemies. :eng101:

But you can’t, the gate doesn’t open until you kill the miniboss.

Unless we’re talking about someone other than The White Lady.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Regy Rusty posted:

I was talking about mad clown. Iii didn't actually look past him until after so if there was a stargazer I could get to then whoops!

Oh yeah, I fought that guy just now and holy gently caress that was an aggravating fight.

I made it into the opera house and holy gently caress those weird hulking ballerinas with the big metal wheels suck. Sometimes they'll do two attacks with the big wheel, sometimes three, sometimes five.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm alternating between the EMP and the flame thrower depending on if I'm fighting puppets or not-puppets.

The weird acid arc thrower also seems good, provided the target is willing to stand in the puddle for a while. The (Rosa Isabella Street mini boss) Mad Clown Puppet very much loving didn't.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

loving hell the King of Puppets, and especially the second phase, can eat my entire rear end.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hulk Krogan posted:

Someone in here pointed out the other day that dodging to his left in phase 2 causes almost all his attacks to whiff and leaves you free to take swings at him, and that made the fight significantly easier than when I was treating him like Genichiro and trying to parry everything.

OK, I will definitely try that the next time, because holy hell the blocking strat was NOT working.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hulk Krogan posted:

Someone in here pointed out the other day that dodging to his left in phase 2 causes almost all his attacks to whiff and leaves you free to take swings at him, and that made the fight significantly easier than when I was treating him like Genichiro and trying to parry everything.

Yep, this was it. On phase two just dodge everything to the left, then smack him. When he does the big light up his weapon thing, just run away until his tantrum is down.

Got him on my second try with this strategy. Thanks!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

And also, seconding what someone said: this might be my GOTY.

I played the demo when it came out, bounced off it hard and basically didn't want to even play the full game. Then I was given a review assignment which forced my hand, and I am super loving glad I did, because the full game is absolutely fantastic.

I love the Bloodborne-esque gameplay (even if there is room for tweaks), but I absolutely adore the mood and tone of the world, and how melancholy everything is.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh btw, when you kill the King of Puppets (chapter 6 boss) and get his boss soul, do NOT pick the amulet. The description says it gives +1 to the level of every Legion Arm, but it loving doesn't. It improves every Legion Arm's scaling by one point. So you don't go from, say, a level 4 flame thrower to a level 5, instead its scaling improves from (say) Motive B, Technique C, Advance B to Motive A, Technique B, Advance A.

And it might be bugged and not even working ATM.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah a big part of this game is that it really wants you to analyze the enemy and choose the best defensive options for different enemies and sometimes event different attacks in the same enemy. Perfect parties are the most tempting when you can land them but when dodging or even blocking is easier it's definitely a good idea to go ahead and do them.

For sure. With FROM's games I usually mostly wore the same armour and used the same weapons through the game, or just replaced them as I got better stuff. I rarely switched my loadout around for individual bosses, and here it's kinda mandatory. I thought one early game boss was impossible until I switched from my normal anti-puppet weaponry to something more suited to that boss, and then got him with a couple of tries. Lesson learned.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I found the electric saw weapon.

This thing is absolutely stupid in the best possible way.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God drat that jester puppet in the basement of the Arcade was a huge pain in the rear end.

For anyone who also feels the same: equip the Aegis, and just focus on using that and doing perfect parries. His weapons break real easily, and after that he still sucks to fight but not nearly as much as before

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lord_Magmar posted:

Although as I said, one of the big twists was known early to me because I worked out reading the puppet language, so my "thoughts" on Krat changed very heavily around chapter VI specifically because of it.

Yeah, it was fun to be able to read the puppet language fluently from pretty much the start. I was watching LilAggy play the game along my playthrough, and his chat acted like people were witches when they were able to read the garbled text.

I'm only in chapter 7 right now (or possibly chapter 8?), but some of the puppet writing's tone feels a bit weird. Like the Puppet King saying stuff like "C'mon, don't be silly" doesn't seem to fit either his or Romeo's personalities, but maybe that stuff gets put into proper context later on. Or it could just be the Korean team not doing a great job of localizing the game into English, which is definitely a theme across the item descriptions and general fit and finish of the text.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

loving hell the great expo area is horrible. Long stretches with several elites in a row. "Thought one of these impossible to read spinny robot enemies was fun? Well here's two at once, and several other robots on top!"

E: hell, I'd say the elites are the biggest pain point in this game in general. They're such huge loving resource drains and when they put several respawning ones in a row with no shortcuts to bypass them... it ain't fun.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 26, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nikumatic posted:

If it's any consolation, the room with two spinny robots only has two of them if you activate one of them by going near it. Otherwise you'll just have to face the one, or you can take them one at a time, and the mandatory one does not respawn.

Yeah that was a consolation, but to get to the part where I'm dying -- the loving ballet dancer puppet with the knife that constantly spams 10+ attack chains with insane tracking and reach -- I still have to fight two of those spinny robot dudes, two of those big guys with double shields and a ton of other horse poo poo. I can't believe there's no loving short cut on this lovely-rear end section.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lord_Magmar posted:

There is, you can open the front door and a side gate to skip to the upper floor.

I knew about the front door, but where is the side gate shortcut? I've only found one shortcut to what seems to be a far earlier area, guarded by a huge fuckoff robot with an electric axe. I noped out of there in a hurry, so I hope that's not it. And if that is it, it only appears to skip a couple of fights, which is of course not nothing, but still not great.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nikumatic posted:

But you do have to be careful with that, because if you get pegged with anything you will probably get shield-bashed and bomb-boomed before you can react again.

Yeah, as I found out to my loss. I had a corpse run with 15k ergo in the upstairs area and thought I'd try to run past the first bomb throwers and shield guy to get to the shortcut bridge. Shield dude zoomed roughly 7 miles to hit me with a shield bash, and then all three bomb throwers nailed me with bombs. RIP those 15k souls.

Nikumatic posted:

In fact if I was ranking worst/hardest runs it would probably be the Opera House (without elemental damage, as I know now) followed by that section, at least on my first playthrough. And then the first area of chapter 9 because of the goddamn hill.

I'm playing an Advance build so the opera house didn't feel TOO bad to me. Those huge ballerina/opera singer robots were a bit rough but it was pretty decent otherwise. This place though is a god drat poo poo show.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

jasoneatspizza posted:

They should probably patch in easy mode as an option. Just beat this last night, and only about 1.5 % of players on Xbox have completed the game.

They absolutely should, especially since the work has already been done. A lot of people will cry and yell about it because they are gatekeeping shitheads, but more people having access to the game is a good thing. Doubly so because a lack of any kind of difficulty options is a huge accessibility issue.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That's all true but let's not loving kid ourselves: the game IS 100% too hard for most people. Hell, it's too hard for many people who love soulsborne games as evidenced by the constant threads saying precisely that on Reddit and Steam.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Groovelord Neato posted:

Lies of P doesn't include the easy mode that Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Elden Ring have but it does seem to include tools that make bosses easier like Sekiro did.

Not really. Not right now. The AI summon doesn't really help you that much in most fights, and is actively a hindrance in many. And other than that ... there's not much.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was thinking throwables because even the guy complaining about the game's systems (which I somewhat agree with him on) said they made bosses way easier. The AI helpers in Sekiro didn't help a lot either I was talking attachments.

Well the throwables don't really do too much. You can only carry a small number of each and they don't do THAT much damage. They can help a bit but if you're having trouble with the Puppet King or whatever, you're not gonna just item spam him to death.

CharlestonJew posted:

Throwables do so much damage and you get so many you can just hang back and get a boss down to like 10% health just chucking poo poo

How? Even if I'm using the best elemental throwables with my Advance build, just taking down an elite would take close to 10 uses, and I can't carry anywhere near that amount. I'm not doubting you, I just don't understand how.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 26, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Darth Walrus posted:

Tips for the King of Puppets' mid-second-phase flame attack if you can't reliably knock him out of preparing it?

Run away. He'll spend the entire attack chasing you.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I dislike Champion Victor. This guy is like all the worst "insert a bizarre delay right before the attack, sometimes" decisions rolled into one.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

net cafe scandal posted:

Is it just me or is there no way to recharge a wishstone besides by speaking to the nice fella who gave me the Cube? The cube item description seems to contradict this, but once I use it, it stays spent until I go back and talk to him.

There is not. You have to buy wishstones for golden apples.

E: is Champion Victor actually vulnerable to fire? The guides say he is, but it sure as gently caress doesn't feel like it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CharlestonJew posted:

acid worked really well on him from my experience I think every "enhanced human" like him is weak to it

Yeah acid seems to work a lot better. The fight still loving sucks. If he knocks you down (and he will, because his attacks sometimes have delays right before they hit, sometimes not), he can just grab you off the ground and combo your for literally 90% of your HP. In other words: you die with no recourse.

The spectre sucks for the fight because it goes down in 5 seconds if you let Victor focus it.

This fight is just such a huge loving pain in the rear end.

Also: I tested, and the best acid canisters at 33 advance do about 600 damage per throw. I can carry five. That's about enough for 1/4 of Champion Victor's HP. I would have to carry 20 and not miss a single one to take him down with acid bottles, so I have no idea where the hell this "you can just kill bosses with nothing but throwables" thing is coming from.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oxxidation posted:

also double checking your vitality stat if a single move takes off 90% of your lifebar

"A single move" == a knockdown and then the "grabs you by the head and pummels you" combo, which you can't interrupt once you're knocked down. I have 23 vitality, plus the life amulet, I don't think I'm a massive glass cannon here. Victor's attacks just hit like loving dump trucks and he has several moves where if RNG says gently caress you, he can basically combo you for most of your HP bar. A knockdown and then a charge that's already coming as you're getting up and can't even theoretically dodge.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 26, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tarezax posted:

Did you not unlock the "dodge while knocked down" move from your p-organs? That's pretty essential imo

The trouble is that many things are pretty essential, and quartz is limited.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I think I'll stop here for the night. 23 attempts, got him down to like 10% a couple of times. Hope it's just an accumulation of salt, because this is the most unfun poo poo I've gone through in this game, and it's kinda killing my desire to play.

But hopefully I'll get him tomorrow.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

lostleaf posted:

I really only have one major gameplay complaint about this game and it's the inability to respec early on. You have to beat the Chapter 7? boss first. I think many complaints are due to people playing glass cannons. It really is a wall if someone didn't put any points in vitality/capacity. You can't go explore elsewhere. The only thing you can do is grind ergo to level up and that's very frustrating. A minor complaint is that the costs of respec. Why is it on gold coin fruit???

Yeah, I agree. I don't know if I would respec, but if this was Elden Ring, I 100% would have gone elsewhere to explore, get some levels, get some new stuff, get a break. Here I can either beat my head against the boss wall, or do slow and repetitive farming. It's kinda doubly problematic because the throwables etc are quite expensive. 400-470 a pop adds up quickly, and it's a difficult choice between getting more consumables and leveling up.

I'm really hoping this is just a bad day making me overreact because until now I've been absolutely loving the game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ostrava posted:

I've been eyeing this game after watching IronPineapples opinion on it. I'm curious if goons generally agree that this game deserved to stand along side the From titles. It seems like NEOWIZ made something pretty cool here.

For the most part yes, absolutely. This is by far the best non-FROM soulsborne I've ever played. They truly get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

WarpedLichen posted:

Steam just downloaded a patch and it seems like boss amulets got a big weight reduction? Amulets that used to cost 12 weight now seem to cost 9?

Found patch notes:

Kinda disappointed I didn't get to fight the pre nerf Simon Manus fight.

Oh poo poo, I've been stacking a bunch of Capacity, let's see if I'm now way too over-capable with Capacity giving more and amulets weighing less.