Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

best:

card minigame. usually epic, especially whn it ties into loot. examples: triple triad, that one in bravely default 2, xenosaga 1 card game
fishing: almost always epic
golf

worst:
pool 100% of the time
towers of hanoi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

worst:
pool 100% of the time

you have brain damage

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Rhythm minigames like karaoke etc are the best. Good card games are also the best but bad ones are the worst. A double-edged sword for sure…

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

you have brain damage

you say somethin hbag?

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

fishing is broapaably the best hands down. music/dancing/rhythm minigames ftw as well.

bad : anything timed/racing/driving

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

you say somethin hbag?

im going to give myself brain damage to forget this

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

que sera sera posted:

fishing is broapaably the best hands down. music/dancing/rhythm minigames ftw as well.

bad : anything timed/racing/driving

agreed tho driving ones can be deec if there's no time limit poo poo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

timed racing minigames cn be cool. see: can collecting in like a dragon, crazy taxi. arcade-style racers

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rail shooter minigames can kick rear end too imo and thats similar to racing. idk maybe not similar but you know what i mean. same sort of vibe

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

timed racing minigames cn be cool. see: can collecting in like a dragon, crazy taxi. arcade-style racers

the latter two are entire games tho...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

the latter two are entire games tho...

crazy taxi is going to be a minigame in y8, educate thyself

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
literally none of the minigames said in this thread are bad yet

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Fungah! posted:

you say somethin hbag?

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

pool is 100% dogshit and i can prove it

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Fungah! posted:

pool is 100% dogshit and i can prove it

do it

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Fucker posted:

Oh yeah? What’s bad to you then

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ1iO3EWLNk

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

que sera sera posted:

Oh yeah? What’s bad to you then

pipe minigame like the one in bioshock. that easy

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

pipe minigame like the one in bioshock. that easy

poo poo i mentally blocked that one. lockpicking minigames too

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Best of all time: incredible card games like Triple Triad with collectibles and rewards

Second: most fishing 99% of the time

Worst minigame: puzzle, mahjong, ect.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Fungah! posted:

you say somethin hbag?

lmfao true

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Best: gambling. Slot machines, card games, etc

Worst: stealth sections. Also the "Find these chickens I've tossed all over the village" types

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fungah! posted:

you say somethin hbag?

drat.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Worst: Idk what the genre is but when they take stuff the interns were working on to learn the engine and just throw it in there to pad out the game length.
Example: crane chapter in FF7R.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Crane games are not fun in most games

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Punished Chuck posted:

Rhythm minigames like karaoke etc are the best. Good card games are also the best but bad ones are the worst. A double-edged sword for sure…

made up card games are hit or miss. video game versions of real card games (blackjack/poker) are always pointless. triple triad is the best minigame ever created

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Best: gambling. Slot machines, card games, etc

Worst: stealth sections. Also the "Find these chickens I've tossed all over the village" types

stealth sections is a great one. stealth games ftw but its a hard as gently caress thing to do and when u just try to do it in some random rear end non stealth game, its inoffensive at best and dogshit in 99.9% of cases

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I like a fighting mini game. Like when a jrpg will have a real time street fighter section. Especially if I can get some weird unlock.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

god tier: gambling in general; card games, slots, etc. especially when you actually get useful poo poo from them. these directly appeal to man's base desire to gamble, feel the thrilling rush of adrenaline, and most importantly win big.

usually solid: fishing, golf. a perfect great way to cut back and relax during your game sesh. i leveled my fishing stat in Stardew Valley from 1 to 9 over the course of like 3 days lol.

poo poo tier: pipes/mazes, jigsaws and other tedious literal puzzles, simon says, matching card pairs, almost every type of puzzle in Skyrim

one-off shoutout to Journey of the Prairie King in Stardew Valley, it's a whole little Robotron/Smash TV game built into the main game, plays well enough to keep me hooked into it for a while when i'm in the mood. really shout out to any games that include arcade machines/game consoles in them that allow you to play minigames on them. (except for the GTA ones, those all suck)

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Yeah I think stealth sections are the actual worst kind.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

welcome posted:

agreed

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

yup

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fishing is so good it didn’t even occur to me to post it. A fishing minigame where you just press A to cast your rod and then press A again when your character gets a ! above their head still rocks

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 20, 2023

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

usually ok: fishing, racing

usually not ok: stealth, sliding tiles

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!

That Little Demon posted:

collectibles and rewards

Worst minigame: puzzle,

Gonna call you out a little bit on your bullshit here.

That Little Demon posted:

My pick:

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne

So you say Nocturne is your favorite RPG of all time. That must mean its perfect. And yet you disrespect Puzzle Boy?

It's a very rewarding minigame with ramping difficulty and a baller rear end reward at the end. At least try to stay consistent.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Is a stealth section a mini game or just a bad part of the actual game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

insane anime posted:

So you say Nocturne is your favorite RPG of all time. That must mean its perfect. And yet you disrespect Puzzle Boy?

It's a very rewarding minigame with ramping difficulty and a baller rear end reward at the end. At least try to stay consistent.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Best:
Fishing
Card games, both gambling and collectible
Pool (mostly 9-ball)
Lockpicking
Most rhythm games
Baseball related
I don't know if it counts as a minigame, but any type of item trading sequence like in Link's Awakening

Worst:
Games that involve rapidly pressing a button to fill a meter
Stealth sections
Roulette/Spin the wheel type games
Horseracing or similar game where you just pick a number and hope it wins, also battle arena type games where you have no control over the outcome

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

insane anime posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

mbt posted:

Is a stealth section a mini game or just a bad part of the actual game

This. Doesn’t count if you can’t keep replaying it imo