Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I swear this is something that happened but I can't find any evidence of it besides my own fever dream, but regardless this post is going to pretend it did-

I was one of the first shaman to get the epic weapon, the Spear of Fate, on the Brell Serrilis server. The amount of effort it takes to do this is obscene, requiring many very difficult/time-intensive solo experiences, as well as 4+ raids requiring like 20+ people to coordinate. Like the Plane of Fear/Hate, for example.

The effect "Curse of the Spirits" was a spell the spear was enchanted with that you could click and cast on your target. It was supposed to deal exponential damage over time with the final tick giving the largest burst of damage.

However, when the spear was introduced into the game, it did the opposite, and healed you instead. Shaman use a staple spell called cannibalize to consume their health and regenerate their mana. This was usually countered with their own regeneration spell, but having a resource-free clickable instead was absurdly powerful offering essentially unlimited mana for heals, DoTs and debuffs.

I don't remember them ever fixing this, but all the information on it I can find suggests it was in fact a DoT, so I think it just took them a really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU