Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I listened to Jeff on rhap and he seems like a good guy who cares about the show and means well. But I still don't like at all how he is running things. Samey samey 3 tribe seasons, no themes, and worst of all boatloads of advantages and lost votes and etc. Let's mix it up a little.

Australian Survivor has done some really bad twists at tribal council. These twists are stupid, don't get me wrong, and I don't like them. But i realized why they seem to go down a little easier and why the Australian game still feels so much cleaner than the US one despite its own nonsense. The Australian TC twists just appear without warning, happen, and then are done. They don't dangle*, they're not an item you have to remember that a player carries through for several rounds and that interacts with a beware penalty or has to power up or whatever.

*there are some cases where they do linger (urns, quarantine, redemption) and those situations are very bad TV, which is more evidence for the thesis

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Hard disagree. I've been watching since the beginning and hated the vast majority of the seasons in the 20s-30s. 40+ feels more like a return to form. It is more character-driven, true, but casting fans instead of mactors has given us much better/ more fun gameplay imo.

I think you're misunderstanding me. The show has always been at its best when it is character-driven. There's a lot of issues with the New Era but the one I'm getting at here is
1. The characters aren't actually driving the game anymore, the game and the awful twists are driving the characters
2. Most of the characters are very similar apart from some obvious standouts (Shan, Maryanne, Yam Yam, Emily, some others)

I think part of the reason the 20s-30s seasons aren't as fondly remembered is that they have both awful twists and bad recruit casts. 41 and on was definitely a reset, but now it's mostly just the same thing over and over (same place, tribe breakdown, tribe color sets, name structure, challenges, same twists in the same places, oh look Jeff put a knife in the rice bag again) .

The Fun Island Adventure Hey Kids Please Apply that Jeff seems to want to present here is at odds with what makes the game and show interesting to me: people from different walks of life dealing together with survival in a strange situation, with enough freedom in the game structure to just let people choose how to interact and operate.

So if Jeff doesn't want to create villains through the edit, and they only cast hooting superfans, how are those people going to stand out from each other? How will any of the blandly-numbered seasons stand out?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

They now cast the same ppl who watch survivor in 2024 so fans can see themselves on tv. The demographics watching survivor in 2024 is a hell of a lot more narrow than it was in 2002.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Only 24 more hours of the Survivor thread being like this!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The narrow demographic is a good point. There really isn't anything like "default TV" that just hits a wide target of anyone wanting to have some TV on after work. I'm always surprised Survivor still has as many viewers as it does.

If I ask anyone if they watch survivor, I get a laugh because they assume I'm joking one way or the other. Either because they weren't aware it was still being made, because they know it vaguely must exist but the implication that anyone watch Survivor is amusing, or because the answer is really obvious going to be "no of course not."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

obliriovrons posted:

Only 24 more hours of the Survivor thread being like this!

is there going to be a new thread and fantasy league?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

If I ask anyone if they watch survivor, I get a laugh because they assume I'm joking one way or the other. Either because they weren't aware it was still being made, because they know it vaguely must exist but the implication that anyone watch Survivor is amusing, or because the answer is really obvious going to be "no of course not."

Yup, and if I mention that we're about to start season 46, I often get the reaction, "Wait, Survivor has been on for more than 40 years?!"

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

IcePhoenix posted:

fantasy league

Came here looking for this (even though I always do middlingly)

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

IcePhoenix posted:

is there going to be a new thread and fantasy league?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I made a league for https://tribal-council.com

Join Code is 6322e24a-60c8-492b-9c23-412aa20bd94f

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

new thread here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Thanks for making a new thread! Work has had me too busy to do this for this season. Closing this one.