Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Okay it's time for the much-anticipated season 45 of Survivor featuring :siren: 90 minute episodes :siren:

S45 premieres Wednesday, September 27th on CBS and Paramount+!

Simplifying the OP a bit the season because this show has been on for 23 years and if you need to know what a blindside is or any of the more esoteric definitions then check out this website that appears to have some of the terms but also may be complete poo poo because I didn't read it because I am an omniscient Survivor God.

:siren::siren::siren:PAY ATTENTION TO THIS: :siren::siren::siren:

Some basic rules, which should be no-brainers for pre-taped reality TV:
  • :siren:If it pertains to season 45 but has not aired, DO NOT spoil it in this thread:siren:. Keep that poo poo to Sucks or some other dumb Survivor fan site.
  • This show is now 23 years old and has repeatedly brought back previous contestants/winners (and had an all-winner season) so discussion of previous seasons is likely going to be rampant and un-spoiler-tagged. If you're spoiler averse to old seasons, tread lightly. and go watch the old seasons FFS, even the bad ones have good parts! (except 39 don't watch that one it sucks). Also of note, old seasons have a whole lot of people with bad takes on sexuality and race and gender, so buckle in for that if you go back a couple decades.
  • To that end, keep any veiled racist/sexist/misogynist bullshit out of the thread. CBS has pushed to make modern seasons of their reality TV more inclusive so let's do the same and enjoy this diverse cast of goofballs and weirdos! It has worked really well for Survivor since the season 41 ~reboot~ and we’ve had some good casts, so hopefully this will continue.

This Season's Gimmick

Now that we're in the 40s, we've left the "Big Moves" era of Survivor and are now into the No Moves (s41), One Move (s42), Only Bad Moves (s43), or whatever s44 was (chaos?) eras. Who knows what s45 is going to be but we will have 90 minutes episodes which is cool and good and Aussie Survivor does this and it's objectively better.

CAST TIME
No personal assessment this year because I'm too busy, see video below for some snippets on everyone!

Austin

Brandon

Brando gently caress this guy's name

BRUUUUUCE

Dee

Drew

Emily

Hannah

Jake

J. Maya

Julie

Kaleb

Katurah

Kellie

Kendra

Sabiyah

Sean

Sifu

Check out some full bios of all of the cast here!

And a video of why all these idiots think they're gonna win!

Old thread has some poisons and ponies in it that I'm not going to move over to here so let's start talking some poo poo about this cast.

Play Fantasy Survivor!

Sighence posted:

Oh man knew I was forgetting something.

https://tribal-council.com

Join code below

3b5bfa7e-7a2d-40a2-af66-2c3e504a5f26

SweetJahasus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Looks like a good season. Can’t wait to lose fantasy survivor.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
So who does everyone think is going to win and why is it Jake?

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Join code below

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Team Bruce

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pony: Brandon M. Dunno, just vibes from the bio.
Poison: Brandon D. He seems absolutely insufferable.

Yes, I considered not including the initials as a laugh.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Side bet: what do they call the Brandons?

Orange Brandon? Purple Brandon?
Last names?
Tarzan? Troyzan?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

shazbot posted:

Side bet: what do they call the Brandons?

Orange Brandon? Purple Brandon?
Last names?
Tarzan? Troyzan?

probably brandon and brando going off their bios

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm just glad they've clearly stopped hiring models as contestants.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Sighence posted:

Join code below

I'm coming for the hat trick!

I know no one cares, let me have this

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Parv and Sandra are playing in the new season of Traitors. Some major people from other reality shows too. s1 of the show I didn't find it to be the greatest game, pointless challenges and not enough control over your fate if you're a faithful, but I think I'll have to check it out.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

Parv and Sandra are playing in the new season of Traitors. Some major people from other reality shows too. s1 of the show I didn't find it to be the greatest game, pointless challenges and not enough control over your fate if you're a faithful, but I think I'll have to check it out.

I enjoyed season 1, I thought Alan Cumming was deliciously campy, and I always enjoy Kate Chastain's sass. I think it all comes down to how enjoyable it is to watch this cast. I don't know the Big Brother people. Some of the Real World people have made their entire career out of appearing on The Challenge, and doing fan events at nightclubs, although I haven't watched The Challenge in probably 15 years or more. I think I saw that Boston Rob is on the show, but I don't enjoy him, so I'm hoping he is out early on. Where season 1 suffered the most was that half the cast was normal people, so none of them stood a chance against the reality tv alumni. Even knowing Cirie's history as the greatest Survivor player to never win who plays a great social game and is an expert manipulator, they were all so insistent she would never betray them.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Nihonniboku posted:

I enjoyed season 1, I thought Alan Cumming was deliciously campy, and I always enjoy Kate Chastain's sass. I think it all comes down to how enjoyable it is to watch this cast. I don't know the Big Brother people. Some of the Real World people have made their entire career out of appearing on The Challenge, and doing fan events at nightclubs, although I haven't watched The Challenge in probably 15 years or more. I think I saw that Boston Rob is on the show, but I don't enjoy him, so I'm hoping he is out early on. Where season 1 suffered the most was that half the cast was normal people, so none of them stood a chance against the reality tv alumni. Even knowing Cirie's history as the greatest Survivor player to never win who plays a great social game and is an expert manipulator, they were all so insistent she would never betray them.

Even with Traitors airing before this recent season of BB she's doing this to people there too

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Leatherhead posted:

I'm coming for the hat trick!

I know no one cares, let me have this

I care, I came up just short in both the previous seasons

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

A Kelly/ie wearing purple? Is she trying to jinx herself?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Surprisingly tough to pick a pony this time round. Austin has a funny bio where he talks about being inspired by Naruto, he relates to Owen from S43, and he would like to find love on the island, all of which seems like a package to a memorable crash.

Jake seems like the most likely to actually win, but rarely has that actually worked out in New Era Survivor. He does like Vanuatu Chris though so respect points for good taste. Plus he's from Boston so the accent's probably gonna make for a fun time anyway, though he doesn't seem the most dynamic from the video.

J. Maya seems decent all around, though those type of female contestants seem to usually get booted pre-merge or just fade into the background post-merge. Not sure on her yet, but she seems potentially fun.

Sifu likes Dragonball so it means he has to clash with Austin. I hope they remain in a bitter rivalry to the end.

I guess I'll go with

Pony: Sifu, because Jake feels like too easy of a pick and I'm not sure on J.
Poison: Hannah. Sean's a close second but anyone that compares themselves proudly to Kass I'm raising an eyebrow on.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

pony: dee
poison: kaleb

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

Poison: Hannah...anyone that compares themselves proudly to Kass I'm raising an eyebrow on.

I think that's Emily.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
That makes me want to recheck the bios on tribal council. I remember a past season a few of them were mixed up.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i hear they're doing 90 minute episodes all season? well with all that extra time surely they can bring back the loving theme song!!!!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

barnold posted:

i hear they're doing 90 minute episodes all season? well with all that extra time surely they can bring back the loving theme song!!!!

I think they are actually

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Studio posted:

I think they are actually

gently caress yes

also I am rooting for jake if only because I found out that he is the current boyfriend of a girl I knew in college and also is from massachusetts. the local connection baybee

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
I just hope they show more camp life with those 90 minutes and not just a 60 minute tribal council.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

shazbot posted:

I just hope they show more camp life with those 90 minutes and not just a 60 minute tribal council.

It's extra time to talk about that week's advantage that nobody will use.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Anything they do is better than big brother's method of having each and every contestant explain every single rule and every single action of every competition. For a show that has so much that they could share, they spend every single episode having each contestant repeat stuff and it makes me hate the edited show.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

shazbot posted:

...a 60 minute tribal council.

Don't you put that poo poo out into the universe

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
We both know it’s coming

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
75 minutes of [inaudible] whispering

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

quote:

Of course, with more time, people are going to wonder if that means the opening title sequence, which you all cut out years ago, is coming back. So what can you say about that?

The main title is back in episode 2.

And will it be staying throughout the season?

Yep. And not only is the main title back, but there's an Easter egg in every main title for the true super fan. The main title in and of itself was enough to bring back. It's very fun. But this is a new era of Survivor, so we thought, "Let's make it fun for the audience as well by giving them a little something special in each main title." And that's all I'll say. You don't need to find the Easter egg to enjoy the episode, but if you find the Easter egg, it might give you a little more insight into the episode.

just when I thought I was out....Jeff pulls me right back in with the theme song

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The theme song and a little easter egg spoiler!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Another season of Survivor! Pretty excited for 90 minute episodes!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Ready for the Voovoo, Vaavaa and DooDoo tribes to duke it out

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Team doodoo all the way

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Pony: Austin is my winner pick but Kaleb is the sole :canada: representation and seems to be unapologetically villainous in a fun way.
Poison: Hannah. I listened to the RHAP interviews, then picked in our draft league and I don't remember a thing about her.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'd like to add a second poison - https://www.cinemablend.com/television/survivor-45-contestant-application-video-really-angry-mike-gabler-win-not-ok

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ride or die for Emily now.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

i think my winner pick would have to be Sabiyah, her interview just had really good energy, but Bruce is set up really well here and Kellie could be a good threat too.

After listening to the interviews I don't know how Drew does at the game but he's a funny dude. Julie is like a new t-bird. Other people maybe not likely to do well but who could be fun maybe, Kendra seems like a Courtney Merritt type, and Emily who is the one that hated Gabler you're talking about said Survivor psych personnel told her she profiles out just like Kass :lol: Then there's Kaleb.

joining the survivor league and as always not paying attention to what actually earns points and starting off with my winner picks and then feeling like I'm just picking all the rest of the cast to get my roster full

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Poison: Hannah
Pony: Katurah

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Emily is now my Pony.

Poison is Gabler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

My ponies are whichever of them are most active on Twitter because that's how you figure out who the final four are in 2023 I guess

Did Carson ever get to resume hawking his space shirts or whatever?