Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Means you're still alive you git

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I can afford to do drugs a lot more now

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

i'll be 40 this year, but i feel about 400 due to my damaged spine, damaged nerves and destroyed knees. this all started when i was a teenager, so time has not been kind since then. But it still beats dying!

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
I'm becoming more powerful by the day

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

tell us more about your rock hard anti-capitalist opioid walmart shits, op.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

NoiseAnnoys posted:

tell us more about your rock hard anti-capitalist opioid walmart shits, op.

pencilhands posted:

i apologize for my previous post itt

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

op should probably not apologize to us, the thread readers, but to the traumatized minimum wage staffer who has to clean up after their dumb drug-goon rear end.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

yeah op I fuckin love backache and gout and I look forward to the heart disease and/or cancer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

pencilhands posted:

What's a CBD?

CBD = Central Business District

3O is complaining that they got lame and chose to move to the suburbs.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I've pretty well hosed up the whole way so no, not really OP

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
ehhh not really but all the valuable titanium scrap hiding inside my body will probably be useful for bartering soon!!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm a big hypochondriac (which is something I didn't realize until things started going downhill) and aging hosed me up pretty bad mentally for a while, I'm currently 37. I needed to get glasses and some other things. The threat of losing my vision was horrible since I spend so much time on screens for fun and my job.

However ultimately things stabilized well enough and I'm doing good for now. I took up weight lifting a few years ago and it's really been a lifeline; it feels really good to be in good shape.

I was overweight for most of my life, which didn't matter much, I was always very active, surfing, mountain biking, probably the most active overweight dude you've ever met and went to a college that was almost 80% female so finding a quality mate was the easiest thing I've ever done. Thank god because meeting people is substantially harder now and the idea of online dating is horrifying.

Coming to grips with aging (for now) allowed me to finally make relative peace with my life and that allowed me to establish the self restraint I needed to improve myself.

Hilariously I am now in the best shape of my life, not because my body is young and good, but because I was overweight before and now I am pretty jacked and getting more jacked. So in a funny way it was actually kind of fortuitous to be overweight, it didn't affect my life much, and now I get to feel good even though I'm older through sheer relative body health vs my health when I was "in my prime". Kind of funny.

The main problem currently is that I hate work. I hate capitalism. It eats at me constantly. What's worse, my life is extremely cushy, almost absurdly so, which makes me feel bad about hating work, because my work is better than 95% of people, easily.

I just don't understand how people resign themselves to working until they are, well, I don't know? Forever? Can we retire?

This poo poo worries me a lot. I don't know if I want to work forever, even at a "good" job.

If I had one single piece of advice, it's that if you're in an office job buy a nice chair like an Embody. I think that basically saved my life over the years I've had to work for the Man.

I mostly try not to worry about it too much, and I get a perverse satisfaction from knowing that we'll probably die from war, disease, or climate far before our natural deaths. The idea of working without retiring while my body is slowly destroyed does not seem desirable to me, to say the very least.

I've had an enjoyable life. If I could press a button in 20 years that would erase me from existence without anyone caring or worrying, I would give that serious thought. Not even in a negative way. I enjoy my life very much, I just don't see the point of the tail end right now, from where I'm standing.

Taima fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 22, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Getting older has been great except the death of people and animals I love at kind of “younger than average” ages, and the occasional bout of hypochondria and reality of my own eventual death.

It feels bad saying this because it was before my kids were around, but in retrospect 23-30 was pretty great. I wouldn’t say “peaking” but definitely the most consistent stretch of outright good times in my adult life.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

I don't get why people are still thinking they'll want to check out at 50, 60, even 80 if you make it, like that age doesn't get pushed back as you get older. I don't hear a lot of elderly regretting not dying 20 years ago either.

I'm mid 30s now and I'm having more fun than ever, I will be just as if not more dumb at 60 and will fully enjoy the VR life if my bones are too hosed to move. I will take whatever pills they've got.

But when I was 16 I was like yeah 50 is the cap, I'll do suicide. But I was stupid and wrong. I'm going to have a great time farting and wheezing into the 2070s

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 22, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

roomtone posted:

I don't get why people are still thinking they'll want to check out at 50, 60, even 80 if you make it, like that age doesn't get pushed back as you get older. I don't hear a lot of elderly regretting not dying 20 years ago either.

I'm mid 30s now and I'm having more fun than ever, I will be just as if not more dumb at 60 and will fully enjoy the VR life if my bones are too hosed to move. I will take whatever pills they've got.

But when I was 16 I was like yeah 50 is the cap, I'll do suicide. But I was stupid and wrong. I'm going to have a great time farting and wheezing into the 2070s

I agree with this post

Getting old sucks but it beats the only alternative

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not so bad. The older I get, the funnier New Yorker cartoons become.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

I started getting these little pube hairs growing off the sides of my ears. I just looked in the mirror one day and they were there. I hate them. I hate shaving my ears. I want them gone for good.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

roomtone posted:

This is a man who is not intimately familiar with how bad things can get in old age. I'm jealous, I really am.

Anyways life is awesome. I have no intentions of kicking the bucket on purpose, but if the upsides exceed the downsides at some point, then so be it. I'm not afraid of death nearly to the degree most other people seem to be.

I'm way more afraid of having loved ones who struggle (mentally or physically) in my absence, than the actual fact of dying. And I'm also pretty afraid of dying in a long and painful way, that would suck.

And that's really what it is, if my wife and friends are still alive and kickin', so will I, deities willing :shrug: it makes no sense to plan for suicide like you did, but on the other side of the coin, there's no reason to discount it out of hand either.

Just curious, and I mean this in a completely neutral way- have you come to grips with the fact that most people in our generation will not be able to retire?

My opinion is that there are things worse than death and ultimately it's a calculation that you make whether it's worth it, that is personal to you :shrug:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
It's been pretty fuckin great tbh, a few months into 41 and the only thing I can really be annoyed about that feels out of my control is some recurring dishydrotic eczema on my fingertips

Otherwise, the bit of weight that I can't quite shake or how tired I feel I'm chalking up to my own poo poo. I fell out of my own gym routine and I learned how to actually cook decent food so I'm good with that until I decide to get off my rear end and get stronger again. I feel way more comfortable in my own skin and it's p drat nice

deep dish peat moss posted:

That's what I hate about these high stress jobs, man. I keep getting older and they stay the same wage.

a hearty lol

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Getting an erection only once a year makes it really special. I open a bottle of champagne, light some candles, and wander around the house poking things with my dong

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I would say aging has been okay, neither terrible nor great.

I have found that with age, both physical and mental health require way more effort just for “maintenance”. That’s a downside.

But one also (ought to) make way fewer dumb decisions and just have more perspective as they age. The latter can really take the edge off of some things.

So I like to imagine that as I get (even) older, yeah my body and mind will continue to degrade, but I might become more and more mellow and dare I say “content”.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Could today you beat up 20 year old you?

I can answer yes.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Not at all, but I DO enjoy the process of raging.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

CBD = Central Business District

3O is complaining that they got lame and chose to move to the suburbs.

I live in a trendy historic neighborhood 4 miles from the CBD, I would rather die than move to the suburbs.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Getting older rules. Really improving the grey hairs I started in high school, looking schmick.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Aging is a mixed blessing.

On the one hand, it's calmed me down. Experience and the people I meet have allowed me to take things more in stride. I'm less self concious, and I'm more open about who I am.

It's also let me see the fruits of my decisions. I've made some good ones, so it's nice to have some validation that way.

On the other hand, it's a little melancholy. When you're young, you can entertain vain fantasies. You can dream of being a movie star, a famous athlete, or that you'll change the world. But as you get older, the doors not only close, they lock. You are faced with the sobering reality that you can't do everything, and only a fraction of what you wanted. You too are chained to the mean, and you will never have the strength to break those bonds again.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Jokes on you, I was aware I was never gonna be a famous athlete or actor or anything like that since I was a kid.

I think if you crush the hopes of children early then adulthood won't be a significant jump in disappointment.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

syntaxfunction posted:

Jokes on you, I was aware I was never gonna be a famous athlete or actor or anything like that since I was a kid.

I think if you crush the hopes of children early then adulthood won't be a significant jump in disappointment.

This but unironically.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah the most disappointing thing about aging is that adulthood is kind of a letdown. You hit your 30s and you’re like “oh it’s just gonna be this for a few more decades, and the last of those will probably be in poor health. Hmmm”

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

roomtone posted:

I'm mid 30s now and I'm having more fun than ever

Of course your are. Mid 30's is not old, you're in the prime of your life. Check back with us in ten years.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Also like, what your childhood even was is a huge factor of your enjoyment of adulthood tbh. Yeah, if you had a nice life and had genuine avenues to be an astronaut or whatever and you feel disappointed that you aren't I can get that, it's fine and okay, but I get it.

For me my goals for when I was adult was "get away from the horrible people" so that's a bit of an attainable goal. I did that, and so everything after that is pretty much icing. Being a space policeman of something wasn't really on my radar, but "not ending my own life because I can't escape" definitely was.

So yeah, being an adult has pretty much ruled tbh. I can even get sausage and egg mcmuffins for breakfast if I just want to! Woah :o

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm 58, but they legalized medical marijuana back in 2014 so it's kind of a mixed bag

https://i.imgur.com/gjLb67Y.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

being an adult rules. every year that goes by my life gets better

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It has a lot more going for it than I expected, I do miss my hair though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I still get confused for a teenager at 35, so I guess I picked a really good moisturizer.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Das Boo posted:

I still get confused for a teenager at 35, so I guess I picked a really good moisturizer.

if I get a haircut and shave I still pass for early 20s, hell for some people I still pass WITH a beard and long hair

I definitely physically feel like I'm pushing 40, though

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

mentally i feel better than ever at 37, but physically i can feel my body is on the downswing now

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

MrQwerty posted:

if I get a haircut and shave I still pass for early 20s, hell for some people I still pass WITH a beard and long hair

I definitely physically feel like I'm pushing 40, though

Age'll probably slam us hard in our 60's, but not today!

But physically, same. I managed to injure my shoulder by stretching in bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I think if you stay physically fit and eat healthy, you can age very gracefully. Barring any disease/accident.