Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There are other teams besides Vancouver.

It's right up there with the worst trades ever made. Are you trying to suggest it somehow isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/1712105862636986449

I'm shocked that this ended up working out.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Really? The players and Fitz love him and he's clearly working for the team right now. It didn't cross my mind at all that he would leave.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

Really? The players and Fitz love him and he's clearly working for the team right now. It didn't cross my mind at all that he would leave.

I'm saying from when they hired him. After last year you knew he was sticking around.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

It's right up there with the worst trades ever made. Are you trying to suggest it somehow isn't?

Kinda mind boggling someone would suggest Vancouver is being over discussed when talking about bad trades

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

I'm saying from when they hired him. After last year you knew he was sticking around.

Oh yeah for sure. I thought he would be fired before last season.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
You guys are going to have such egg on your face when the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Oilers are back baby

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

None of those trades come close to the crippling and enduring cap implications of the OEL trade, and that doesn't even include the fact they offloaded a top ten pick as well. The OEL trade was terrible the moment it was completed and in just two years later is pretty easily the worst transaction of the salary cap era. Don't tell desperate men they have to make the playoffs to save their job. Just fire them and start anew.

they actually came out of that trade capspace positive, if you think of it as those dead bodies dumped for OEL+space, and the picks for Garland, it's not horrifically lopsided
https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1418685614287896578?s=20

like it's a bad trade but it wasn't singularly crippling so much as a part of the continued mismanagement of the team

For my money nothing will ever touch how bad the Erat for Forsberg trade was

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I forgot they retained less than a mil on OELs salary lmao. Nothing more dangerous than a GM of a mediocre team desperately fighting for his job

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

they actually came out of that trade capspace positive, if you think of it as those dead bodies dumped for OEL+space, and the picks for Garland, it's not horrifically lopsided
https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1418685614287896578?s=20

like it's a bad trade but it wasn't singularly crippling so much as a part of the continued mismanagement of the team

For my money nothing will ever touch how bad the Erat for Forsberg trade was

Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle had one year to free agency. OEL had 7. Two years after the trade was completed, the Canucks executed the most expensive buyout in league history on OEL so the Canucks will take a cap penalty of $2-4m a year until 2031 as a result. With the inevitable retention on the Garland deal the Canucks will likely be paying $6m a year during Petey/Hughes prime on dead cap as a direct result of that trade. Did I also mention they they GAVE UP THE 9TH OVERALL PICK FOR THE PRIVLEDGE TO DO SO. Remember, this trade also made it necessary for them to bridge Pettersson instead of signing him to a max deal like he wanted. He's now considering leaving the team entirely.

If you look at the trade as assets in/assets out it was bad but mostly fine. It's the cap implications and knock on effects that make it so singularly terrible. The Canucks got little to nothing from the players acquired, did not reach the postseason in the years they had them and will hamstring the team in the years they have some tiny hope of success. It was so bad. Just unforgiveably so. There's a reason that Benning has not been able to find any work in an NHL front office since he was canned.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Ryan Reaves for Sundqvist and a first lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Ryan Reaves for Sundqvist and a first lol

Marino and Matheson for a 3rd round pick, Ty Smith, and $2 million in dead cap worth of Jeff Petry stings more

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Florida trading Reilly Smith to Vegas for a 4th rounder and an agreement that Vegas would take Jonathon Marchessault in the expansion draft.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Golden Man posted:

Oilers are back baby

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Sheldon Keefe is always saying things like “I dunno who the head coach of the Maple Leafs is but he didn’t do a very good job last year”

https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1712124146241445965?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Honestly, as much as ThinkTank can be a downer over the Canucks, I do agree that the OEL trade is probably one of the top 10 worst trades in NHL history, just for what it did to tie up the Canucks in terms of cap space instead of just letting the poo poo deals expire.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

HookShot posted:

Honestly, as much as ThinkTank can be a downer over the Canucks, I do agree that the OEL trade is probably one of the top 10 worst trades in NHL history, just for what it did to tie up the Canucks in terms of cap space instead of just letting the poo poo deals expire.

It's one bad player and a couple million dead dollars for the next few years with $5 million of new space coming anyhow

it's not like Minnesota with $14 million in dead cap the next two years (~$13m last season and still made the playoffs)

Like it's fine to want to point to an issue and say "if only this hadn't happened" but that's just not the case, the canucks were loving up all over the place in all kinds of ways for years, signing bad contracts and trading for lovely players
One different butterfly wing flap would not have unfucked their current situation

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's one bad player and a couple million dead dollars for the next few years with $5 million of new space coming anyhow

It's not a few years, it's 8 years of dead cap that effectively wipes away any growth in the cap for the Canucks. There's some speculation involved with things like Pettersson resigning but he was publicly very in favour of a long term deal and Benning admitted they didn't have the cap space to get it done, which was directly as a result of the OEL deal. Benning thought he was acquiring a top defenceman, he called him the team's #1. The guy could barely hold down an NHL spot. That's a disastrous failure of pro scouting then you have the cap stuff on top. Assuming Garland's return is minimal (which it will be), just two years on the Canucks will have nothing to show for that trade aside from $2.5-4.5m of dead cap over the next eight years.

The Minnesota buyouts were insane, don't get me wrong. At least they didn't give up a top ten pick to make them.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Point is, if your #1 player is asking for term and you believe in him, you find a way to make the money fit (even if it means getting rid of another asset, there are always places you can stash a few million)
It's not just "oh we're a little short this year but we'll definitely get you next time"

they also clearly didn't believe Pettersson was going to be worth what he was asking and that they'd get him long term at a better number later. Just like with the OEL trade, their evaluation was off and that bit them twice as hard after the fact because Pettersson knows he wasn't valued and the organization has been crashing facefirst into mountainside after mountainside expecting him to grin and hop on the next plane.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I mean don't get me wrong the Canucks very much made other lovely and dumb organizational decisions. But this specific one did hamstring them for years with consequences that are still ongoing.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
A throwback, but we gotta mention the Isles trading Chara for Alexei Yashin if we're talking worst trades. I'm sure all two of the Sens fans here would disagree though!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

It's not a few years, it's 8 years of dead cap that effectively wipes away any growth in the cap for the Canucks. There's some speculation involved with things like Pettersson resigning but he was publicly very in favour of a long term deal and Benning admitted they didn't have the cap space to get it done, which was directly as a result of the OEL deal. Benning thought he was acquiring a top defenceman, he called him the team's #1. The guy could barely hold down an NHL spot. That's a disastrous failure of pro scouting then you have the cap stuff on top. Assuming Garland's return is minimal (which it will be), just two years on the Canucks will have nothing to show for that trade aside from $2.5-4.5m of dead cap over the next eight years.

The Minnesota buyouts were insane, don't get me wrong. At least they didn't give up a top ten pick to make them.

The Minnesota buyouts were indeed insane, but also turned out to be a good move. Suter and Parise would still be trying to play, and they'd still be boat anchors on 7m aav each. The buyout makes sense from a position of replacing them with younger and more capable players. Boldy has come in up front, and now Brock Faber is taking the spot in the back with Dumba also gone. The squeeze is painful sure.

What would be more painful is signing Suter to 7 year deal, claiming he's going to keep being a #1 D, and doing it for a lot of money. The OEL/Garland move is so much worse than the 13 year contracts that Fletcher signed. Minnesota got 7 years of decent to good play out of those contracts, they were just too long. Vancouver didn't get 7 minutes of good play out of the OEL contract. I'd hate to be waiting for the better part of a decade for the cap penalty to go away, 4 years was bad enough. Definitely one of the worst deals in a long time.

Florida's deal with Vegas for the expansion draft is right up there too.

RO'R to St Louis was right up there until Tage Thompson started to light it up two seasons ago. The Cam Neely + a 1st round to Boston wasn't great either, but doesn't even come close to as bad as the OEL trade.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There are some pretty horrendous trades out there.

Thornton for Sturm, Stuart and Primeau
Luongo for Bertuzzi, Allen and Auld
Kovalchuk to the Devils for nothing
Naslund for Stojanov
Gilmour for a whole whack of dudes who did nothing

For the past fifteen years we've had the salary cap, so there's the added wrinkle of finances. A trade can be okay from the perspective of the pieces involved, but have to be weighed against the opportunity cost of the cap considerations. A lopsided trade with neglible long term cap issues is bad but navigable. A somewhat less unbalanced trade with lots of associated cap rot is what kills teams.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 11, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/llysowski/status/1712125413843980600?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

I’m cautiously optimistic for the home opener tomorrow night.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Prime Jaromir Jagr for Kris Beech and some things apparently called "Ross Lupaschuk" and "Michal Sivek" is a standout Great Moment in Spectacularly Bad Trades

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
McDonagh and Miller to TBL was pretty bad.
So was Zibanejad to NYR

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Small potatoes but Fleischman and Weise for Danault and a second (Romanov) was very funny and seemed really bad at the time too.

On the other hand I remember how pissed I was at the Gomez trade.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Joe Thornton for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I feel like in amongst all the dumping on Florida's dealings with Vegas around the expansion draft, a few other beauties are forgotten:

The Buffalo Sabres traded their sixth-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Vegas selecting William Carrier.
The Anaheim Ducks traded Shea Theodore in exchange for Vegas selecting Clayton Stoner.
The Minnesota Wild traded Alex Tuch in exchange for Vegas selecting Erik Haula and a conditional third-round pick in the 2017 or 2018 NHL Entry Draft.
The Columbus Blue Jackets traded their first-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, a second-round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft and David Clarkson in exchange for Vegas selecting William Karlsson.
The Pittsburgh Penguins traded their second-round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Vegas selecting Marc-Andre Fleury.

The Buffalo one was arguably not so egregious (a late round draft pick to select a 4th line player doesn't seem that bad, even if he did turn out to be a really drat good 4th line player) but I included it cause I can't imagine who the 2017 Sabres were protecting being worth that

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 11, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Griffen Reinhart

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The best part of the Theodore trade was it was done to protect Sami Vatanen who the Ducks dumped for a 3rd round pick a couple years later.

God that expansion draft was amazing for Vegas.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Starsfan posted:

I feel like in amongst all the dumping on Florida's dealings with Vegas around the expansion draft, a few other beauties are forgotten:

The Buffalo Sabres traded their sixth-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Vegas selecting William Carrier.
The Anaheim Ducks traded Shea Theodore in exchange for Vegas selecting Clayton Stoner.
The Minnesota Wild traded Alex Tuch in exchange for Vegas selecting Erik Haula and a conditional third-round pick in the 2017 or 2018 NHL Entry Draft.
The Columbus Blue Jackets traded their first-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, a second-round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft and David Clarkson in exchange for Vegas selecting William Karlsson.
The Pittsburgh Penguins traded their second-round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Vegas selecting Marc-Andre Fleury.

The Buffalo one was arguably not so egregious (a late round draft pick to select a 4th line player doesn't seem that bad, even if he did turn out to be a really drat good 4th line player) but I included it cause I can't imagine who the 2017 Sabres were protecting being worth that

Karlsson projected as a fourth liner who could PK before exploding out of nowhere in Vegas. Anaheim gave up on him as well for James Wisniewski.

Protecting Josh Anderson and Joonas Korpisalo was the right call at thr time.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1712138940323443039?t=BpUioucX6VIMLokwRoqE-Q&s=19

Based

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Bruins trading a 21-year-old Seguin for Eriksson and some lotto tickets is the biggest trade I can remember being genuinely baffled by. Even with Loui having some good years and Reilly Smith panning out, it was so stupid that they traded their potential franchise level center (debatable if he hit those heights, but he was a great player for a long time and he's still decent now) because he was 21 and liked to party remains one of the dumbest things Chiarelli ever did. It's extra funny because, while he's had injury problems, there's no guarantee things would've turned out the same way, they'd have the same roster, he'd even still be a Bruin, etc., Boston could really use Seguin on the roster now and for big stretches of the past decade or so.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

morningdrew posted:

Joe Thornton for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau
Was that bad for the Bruins or Sharks?

That trade is what freed up cap space to sign Chara.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4044316&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

It's the regular season I made a new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

hell yea

i didn't expect so many players and such to be speaking about how dumb the "ban" is, so that's cool to see