Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's the fall. Leafs are growing taller somehow. Players are in the best shape of their lives. The Hockey Canada WJC investigation report is juuuuussstttttt about to be released any day now. The NHL decided to ensure that the game will never take root in Australia by sending the Kings and Coyotes as a warning to potential fans. Mike Babcock got hired and then fired for still being Mike Babcock. Some meaningless games are gonna get played or something.

Hockey folks, it's back. Time to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

gently caress Chicago, gently caress Columbus, and gently caress the preseason too, I want some real hockey!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Excited to actually watch the Flyers lose this season

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

why is arizona playing 3 games tomorrow?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hockey!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Call Your Grandma posted:

They're in Australia so it's a lot of exhibition stuff and I'm sure the times they could play were somewhat limited. It's preseason so they probably have enough players for multiple rosters anyway.

Edit: actually, it wouldn't make sense for them to be playing at 4am in Australia either. My guess is that part of their preseason roster is still in the US and doing their own thing. Not going to do any research to confirm though.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 22, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

They sent half the team to Australia where they're doing a global series game and I guess they're also doing a split squad in St. Louis. Weird.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Kind of hockey related.

https://twitter.com/CordCuttersNews/status/1705209476276523226?s=20

This is terrible. I pay for DirecTV Stream which isn't cheap but at least I also get HBO (including Max) and all 5 MSG channels on it so I don't miss a game. It's getting cheaper to just have cable if you watch sports.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Kind of hockey related.

https://twitter.com/CordCuttersNews/status/1705209476276523226?s=20

This is terrible. I pay for DirecTV Stream which isn't cheap but at least I also get HBO (including Max) and all 5 MSG channels on it so I don't miss a game. It's getting cheaper to just have cable if you watch sports.

quote:

The New MSG+ service will also offer the ability to see live betting odds, personalized offers, and support on more devices.

:lol: at them trying to spin on screen ads as a feature.

"your favourite sporting events will feature action breaks including catered content and exciting deals from top brands!"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Matt Zerella posted:

The entire point.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caps games is all that has me holding onto cable. No way I’m dropping it for $309 a year, holy poo poo.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

Caps games is all that has me holding onto cable. No way I’m dropping it for $309 a year, holy poo poo.

I spend way more on DTVs but at least that c overs me for Football and HBO and whatever else I might occasionally watch live. Legit couldn't imagine spending that much for JUST Rangers games holy poo poo.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I spend way more on DTVs but at least that c overs me for Football and HBO and whatever else I might occasionally watch live. Legit couldn't imagine spending that much for JUST Rangers games holy poo poo.

Thanks to our media cartels cable is like $130/mo to get all the hockey games here. SportsnetNow is I think $250 a year but that doesn't include local or national games. It gives me all the sportsnet channels so I can watch the Blue Jays as well but that's just the cost of things in Canada.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
hockee

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Devils look to be trying:

Meier - Hischier - Holtz
Bratt - Hughes Toffoli
Palat - Haula - Mercer

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
no way in hell does Mercer stay on the 3rd line. The best player in the NHL? come on now

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Go the Sharks who....may have some interesting young players this year among the heaps of stinking, filthy garbage? I feel for Couture and Hertl. At least I don't have to watch the games.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

I feel for Couture.

Just remember he's a whiny baby who cried on twitter after he got punched in the face for not shutting up about Trump

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sharks going from Karlsson to Jan Rutta as their top d-man is... not gonna go well for them

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Some more Babcock stories from former players are coming out.

https://detroithockeynow.com/2023/09/21/former-red-wings-defensemen-chris-chelios-jakub-kindl-mike-babcock/
Chelios:

Kindl:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Unceasingly making GBS threads all over Kindl for years on end? I had no idea Babcock posted here.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Silly anecdote about Bertuzzi getting taller (it’s definitely that he’s actually 6’ 1.25” and the Leafs staff rounded up) but skeletal growth isn’t considered done until 25 and in some people can go longer. Between the ages of 26-27 I gained a full inch in height and got broader in the shoulders/chest to the point where I had to buy all new suits/business wear for my day job, which actually really loving sucked.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Thank you for ruining the joke.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

ThinkTank posted:

Just remember he's a whiny baby who cried on twitter after he got punched in the face for not shutting up about Trump

Believe me, I do. If divine justice exists, his team's roster is it.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Sharks going from Karlsson to Jan Rutta as their top d-man is... not gonna go well for them

Jan is gonna put up a ppg.

After we send him down to the ECHL.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 22, 2023

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
the kindl players tribune article is actually pretty good, a lot of introspection about what its like to think you're the next big thing only to see yourself become a below average player
https://www.bezfrazi.cz/stories/jakub-kindl/seventh-defenseman

although this is pretty funny, hasek using two of the worst shots on the team to get himself extra practice :

quote:

A few weeks earlier, we started the playoffs with two defeats against Nashville, which prompted Babcock to make a switch from Dominik Hašek to Chris Osgood in goal. I sat next to Hašek on the plane to Colorado for the second round, listening to him believing he would start again in the next game. He wanted us to prepare him properly, so after practice, Andreas Lilja and I took turns shooting at him. He let us place the pucks in the face-off circle and ordered us to fire at him as fast as we could. We skated across the entire rink, shooting hard and he caught everything. Unreal. He was incredibly stubborn.

clean ayers act fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 22, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Franzen was so lazy, if he'd done the hatchet job on Crosby's knee in game 4 or 5 instead of waiting around until game 7 in 2009 the Wings would have won the Cup.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

clean ayers act posted:

the kindl players tribune article is actually pretty good, a lot of introspection about what its like to think you're the next big thing only to see yourself become a below average player
https://www.bezfrazi.cz/stories/jakub-kindl/seventh-defenseman

although this is pretty funny, hasek using two of the worst shots on the team to get himself extra practice :

It's kinda sad to realize how much the tweener players have to deal with but then I checked his capfriendly page and saw he made over 12 million dollars in those few years and it certainly takes away the sting, I think
even if you believe Avery math

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
the blues are going to be bad but not bad enough to meaningful improve themselves in the draft again. retooling instead of rebuilding stays winning

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
for real who's going to run the Sharks PP...Matt fuckin Benning?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
People melting down that Kakko is in the “third” line in the first day of camp with Trochek and goodrow
Despite lav saying the lines would be completely different tomorrow

I hope he makes chytil Panarin a thing just for the hell of it

Also Miller and Fox :getin:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mike_V posted:

the blues are going to be bad but not bad enough to meaningful improve themselves in the draft again. retooling instead of rebuilding stays winning

Who would they jettison even if they could? Everyone of any real value has a NTC except Kyrou and Thomas and even if they could beg people to waive the cap is so damned tight for competitors the returns would be garbage
they're in a tough spot to do much else than hope things break their way

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Levitate posted:

People melting down that Kakko is in the “third” line in the first day of camp with Trochek and goodrow

It's great, I really hope Laf sticks at RW and does well. And yeah holy hell am I pumped for Fox-Miller.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Who would they jettison even if they could? Everyone of any real value has a NTC except Kyrou and Thomas and even if they could beg people to waive the cap is so damned tight for competitors the returns would be garbage
It's loving wild how awful and old their defense is, but everybody is signed long term with a no trade clause.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Levitate posted:

People absolutely freaked out that MacKinnon left the ice early yesterday because no one thought to tell the media that tonight his number is being retired by his junior team.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

theoretically someone is interested in krug (when healthy) except he probably only wants to go back to boston and i don't know but it seemed like toronto really wanted parayko for some reason last season. just move them for a bag of pucks at this point

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

Silly anecdote about Bertuzzi getting taller (it’s definitely that he’s actually 6’ 1.25” and the Leafs staff rounded up) but skeletal growth isn’t considered done until 25 and in some people can go longer. Between the ages of 26-27 I gained a full inch in height and got broader in the shoulders/chest to the point where I had to buy all new suits/business wear for my day job, which actually really loving sucked.

Alternatively: He fell into a vat of HGH.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Koopa Kid posted:

Wow congrats on hitting 5'7"

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

What sticks out to me in that Kindl retrospective is how people hated Babcock so much that they’d blow up a guy’s phone for scoring an otherwise meaningless regular-season game winner on him.

neoaxd posted:

Alternatively: He fell into a vat of HGH.

If it means Matthews has a healthy and effective LW in the playoffs then I’m all for it

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Cup final is going to be Canucks VS Panthers. I will cum one million pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I thought the Kings had a dude on the team that was raised in Australia. Are they somehow NOT playing or highlighting that dude for this game?