Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

I thought the Kings had a dude on the team that was raised in Australia. Are they somehow NOT playing or highlighting that dude for this game?

Jordan Spence, born in Australia but didn't grow up there, they're playing him, but I haven't seen anything highlighting him. I've got an Australian friend at the game so I'll ask if they did anything in person.

edit: according to my friend who is at the game, they have not yet mentioned that there was an Australian-born player playing in the game

fermun fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My default thought was Nathan Walker. You're telling me two Aussies have made the NHL?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Spence is Australian-born but only has Japanese and Canadian citizenship. Walker is the only NHL player that holds Australian citizenship but he was born in Wales.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm interested to see how it's all been received in Australia. I haven't really been following it too much. I do know that Australia has a small, but very dedicated, hockey fanbase, so I'm glad they get to see some NHL games even if it involves the Coyotes.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I’m in Australia, it hasn’t had much press, but I guess I don’t consume much news so maybe in other places it has.

I looked a while back and tickets were $200, which combined with having to fly to Melbourne + accomodation is a bit rich more me. If it has a regular season game, but having no idea how many actual legit NHL players would be on the ice, and how much effort is going to be put in..

There was this showcase ‘Canada V USA’ World Series game they put on years ago that I got burnt by, was a few NHL players, but mostly AHL/ECHL and was a terrible product, was like a all star game defensively but with none of the offence. If this ends up being good, maybe I’d fork out for it next time (if there is one).

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I've been watching this game and its relatively good rosters for a preseason game. Not quite a regular season roster by either team, but pretty close. It looks like NHL hockey. Fans seem into it too, and the barn is full. I'm just happy to be watching hockey again.

I know Australia has some big hockey fans, for some reason, so I'm happy for them. Seems like every NHL team has a jersey in the crowd.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Highlight reel goal by Cooley there.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I legit think Cooley could surprise and win the Calder. He's insanely good. Bedard is Bedard, but Arizona has a better team and Cooley is gonna get a ton of opportunity there.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/salimvalji/status/1705263516842955147?s=46&t=SzqFR1EbeRO-QHyaJseNBQ

https://twitter.com/salimvalji/status/1705264169182953903

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's kinda sad to realize how much the tweener players have to deal with but then I checked his capfriendly page and saw he made over 12 million dollars in those few years and it certainly takes away the sting, I think
even if you believe Avery math

Good thing hockey players don't start being abused until they make big boy salaries in the NHL

I still hate the NHL too much to watch but I do enjoy reading about it. Babcock, what a cad.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I've been watching this game and its relatively good rosters for a preseason game. Not quite a regular season roster by either team, but pretty close. It looks like NHL hockey. Fans seem into it too, and the barn is full. I'm just happy to be watching hockey again.

I know Australia has some big hockey fans, for some reason, so I'm happy for them. Seems like every NHL team has a jersey in the crowd.

Maybe I should have gone then. :(

Hopefully it makes enough money to come back

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Caps just going for Ovie record.

“There probably isn’t a worse spot to land in than the one the Blues find themselves in to start the season.

The Blues are at the bottom of a group of teams that don’t look good enough for a serious shot at the postseason and aren’t exactly bad enough for a serious shot at the No. 1 pick either. The Blues are six points clear of the next worst team, but also seven points away from the teams with actually tangible playoff chances. No man’s land.”

“The end result, and the single biggest reason to think the Blues could be in for a world of pain this season, is a defense that, according to projected Net Ranking, is No. 30 in the league.”

“This, in short, was not an orderly or effective blue line, and the personnel is mainly the same … except a year older. Of the projected top six, only Rosen is younger than 30, and he’s 29”

It’s incredible how terrible this defense is, how old they are and how long their term (and no trade contracts) is.

:negative:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I appreciate that the digital board ads now feature simulated motion blur. It's a subtle change but it really makes the ads much less distracting in motion.

E.g. in a screenshot like this, last season the board ads would've remained completely sharp despite everything else getting blurry due to the camera panning with speed, and in motion it always looked unnatural. But now the ads blend in:

Zat fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 23, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Don’t write off the new coach bump.

But yes.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm interested to see how it's all been received in Australia. I haven't really been following it too much. I do know that Australia has a small, but very dedicated, hockey fanbase, so I'm glad they get to see some NHL games even if it involves the Coyotes.

Couple guys from my beer league team are going but interstate flights plus accom made it a bit too difficult/expensive to go for me. It's also right in the middle of AFL prelim finals so up against some tough local competition for eyeballs.

Nathan Walker developed in the czech junior system if my memory serves correctly, so him being Australian is more a passport/technicality thing (which in terms of sporting achievements is one of our favourite type of australian)

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

tomanton posted:

Highlight reel goal by Cooley there.

https://twitter.com/heatdaddy69420/status/1705467584467120380?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Goal loving owned

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Matt Zerella posted:

Kind of hockey related.

https://twitter.com/CordCuttersNews/status/1705209476276523226?s=20

This is terrible. I pay for DirecTV Stream which isn't cheap but at least I also get HBO (including Max) and all 5 MSG channels on it so I don't miss a game. It's getting cheaper to just have cable if you watch sports.

They also don't have any TV apps available yet, so you have to watch in a browser or cast it with Airplay/Chromecast. The pricing seems pretty steep regardless ($30/month, $310/year, $10/game).

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

holy poo poo

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Duckman2008 posted:

Apparently I missed that Backstrom came back last season. I thought he was going to be retiring after hearing about that surgery.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
He came back about halfway through the season and clearly wasn't the same player. He's not bad, but he's definitely taken a big step back.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That Cooley goal was fuckin' sweet looking but just lol if you think that'll work against NHL players who are actually trying

Jamwad Hilder posted:

He came back about halfway through the season and clearly wasn't the same player. He's not bad, but he's definitely taken a big step back.

He looked absolutely terrible the few times I saw him

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Eric the Mauve posted:

That Cooley goal was fuckin' sweet looking but just lol if you think that'll work against NHL players who are actually trying

There’s goals like that in the nhl every season :confused::confused:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Like 3 a year, and the 300 times someone tries that poo poo and just immediately loses the puck don't go viral on twitter

Don't get me wrong, like everyone else I don't give a poo poo about the Coyotes so I hope he tries to do a Lemieux impression every time he gets the puck on his stick. Would drive me batty if he was playing for a team I cared about though.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I mean, yeah he has to prove it, but i like to be more hopeful and less dismissive. but then again, my team is starting Conor sheary on the second line.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Love to see young guys do cool poo poo before the Mike Babcock’s of the world extort them with photos from their phone into dumping the puck.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Wonderllama posted:

Love to see young guys do cool poo poo before the Mike Babcock’s of the world extort them with photos from their phone into dumping the puck.

the number of hockey people that got mad at the first few lacrosse goals made me sad

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Like 3 a year, and the 300 times someone tries that poo poo and just immediately loses the puck don't go viral on twitter

Don't get me wrong, like everyone else I don't give a poo poo about the Coyotes so I hope he tries to do a Lemieux impression every time he gets the puck on his stick. Would drive me batty if he was playing for a team I cared about though.

You can just enjoy the cool goal

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

there's no way a top-5 draft pick could possibly do something cool on the ice. hope he enjoyed that goal cuz it's all downhill from here.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I loved the cool goal, just like I said I did. I am a superhero and am capable of loving the cool goal and hoping he doesn't think it's going to be that easy in the real games at the same time

e: he is both Cooley and good, he'll figure it out, if playing for the Coyotes doesn't drain all the will to live from him first

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Come on dude, at least lie about living in Calgary.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good for him, it's not easy speaking out like that. I have a lot of respect for him for doing so. Too bad he's a Flame.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i have to be honesty, i didnt really pay much attention to the blues over the past few years, other than seeing stuff like tarasenko wanting out and pietrangelo moving on. how did they go from cup winners to their current state so quickly?

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
https://twitter.com/NHLJets/status/1705630491817181695?s=20

The Jets third is out and some people seem to love them but I am so confused by the location of the striping and that blue is awful.

Edit: I guess they’re throwbacks for the Air Force but I’m not sure it changes my opinions.

Wippersnapper fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 23, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Wippersnapper posted:

https://twitter.com/NHLJets/status/1705630491817181695?s=20

The Jets third is out and some people seem to love them but I am so confused by the location of the striping and that blue is awful.

Edit: I guess they’re throwbacks for the Air Force but I’m not sure it changes my opinions.

It’s certainly interesting and I am always down for more whacky jerseys but as usual a throwback with modern-logo/branding always looks off. Love the gloves tho.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Check out this ancient SAS meme that somebody posted in the random waffle image thread.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
The logo doesn’t fit the jersey. Why not just use the old logo?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

deoju posted:

Check out this ancient SAS meme that somebody posted in the random waffle image thread.

The series that tore SAS apart was what introduced me to this place, so really it's damaging effects have continued unabated for 17 consecutive years.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AnaheimDucks/status/1705653841260343574

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

i have to be honesty, i didnt really pay much attention to the blues over the past few years, other than seeing stuff like tarasenko wanting out and pietrangelo moving on. how did they go from cup winners to their current state so quickly?

Signing Justin Faulk, mostly.

ThinkTank posted:

The series that tore SAS apart was what introduced me to this place, so really it's damaging effects have continued unabated for 17 consecutive years.

It's so weird, aside from various modes of insult that thankfully are no longer tolerated, the Series That Tore SAS Apart was about as spicy as the Penguins-Rangers series two years ago that's pretty much forgotten now. Right time right place I guess.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Oof that is awful. Brings me back to opening the paper back in the day and seeing news of the Luc Bourdon accident.