Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

deoju posted:

Check out this ancient SAS meme that somebody posted in the random waffle image thread.

Makes me miss the glory days of NHL gdts where sba had a lovely image macro like this for every single mid-00’s Sabre that scored a goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
sab literally banned me for gloating that the Sabers lost.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Eric the Mauve posted:

Signing Justin Faulk, mostly.

That was the first domino to fall, but it really was Doug Armstrong's refusal to grant Pietrangelo any sort of NMC (or length of term, which is ???? considering half the team is on super long contracts). He then followed this up with a series of dumbass (re)signings like Krug and Leddy, thinking this would fix the defense, in addition to Binnington's anchor contract. To compound this, he traded away Jake Walman and Ville Husso to the Red Wings, weirdly let fan favorite and guy who seems to love the org David Perron walk, and let Vince Dunn go in the expansion draft despite having a bunch of bad contracts he could've exposed instead.

He'll get fired eventually, but the Cup halo will carry him well past. his expiration date.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Mr. Kite posted:

sab literally banned me for gloating that the Sabers lost.

Turns out I miss sba too

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

deoju posted:

Check out this ancient SAS meme that somebody posted in the random waffle image thread.

and of course

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

ThinkTank posted:

Too bad he's a Flame.

hey, that's the same thing I think because he's bad at hockey

also sba was the best

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Wonderllama posted:

I mean, yeah he has to prove it, but i like to be more hopeful and less dismissive. but then again, my team is starting Conor sheary on the second line.

Try that in the NHL and he'll likely get an NHL level concussion.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I appreciated this post.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
what's the story behind the Kesler/smiley face one? Who's he hugging?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/adimarco25/status/1705640156454064158?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Another Dorion signing that he needs to dump off with a high pick a year later, my man is so bad at his job I’ve started thinking maybe the looming Chiarelli replacement won’t be so bad

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Ottawa is not nearly ready to compete why on earth do they need three million in space?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

Ottawa is not nearly ready to compete why on earth do they need three million in space?

Making room for Nylander.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Paying Josh Norris 8 million dollars a year for.......?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

"Hey you might be good in a few years, have 8x$8m" is apparently not a viable GMing strategy

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Josh Norris is already very good

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

"Hey you might be good in a few years, have 8x$8m" is apparently not a viable GMing strategy

Actually more teams are doing this. They're locking up young players with a lot of talent who they feel are on the verge of breaking out and they try to get them on sweet deals. It's a little risky to do but teams are increasingly getting rewarded for doing it

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Schremp Howard posted:

They gotta sign Shane Pinto to a bridge deal, probably in that range. Probably should have dealt with this issue before training camp started but I’m not an NHL GM

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Matt Zerella posted:

Kind of hockey related.

https://twitter.com/CordCuttersNews/status/1705209476276523226?s=20

This is terrible. I pay for DirecTV Stream which isn't cheap but at least I also get HBO (including Max) and all 5 MSG channels on it so I don't miss a game. It's getting cheaper to just have cable if you watch sports.

The only cable I can get is Spectrum and they block half my channels unless I am connected to Spectrum internet (which I don’t have because it’s garbage, Fios ftw) so I am gonna get Hulu + Live TV and get MSG+ for about the same price that I’m paying now (since the Hulu includes Disney+ and ESPN+)

Edit: The first Sabres preseason game is tomorrow during a Bills game that’s also in Washington, DC lmao

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 24, 2023

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

They gotta sign Shane Pinto to a bridge deal, probably in that range. Probably should have dealt with this issue before training camp started but I’m not an NHL GM

Probably should have signed him to a long-term deal and not signed Tarasenko since they're not yet ready to compete, but I'm also not an NHL GM

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

this should also make 1:1 trades easier when everyone is making 8/8 in those change of scenery (both players suck or one MURDERED his team mate) trades

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I seen a few posts about them being gone and i hope hand knit is okay

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

i have to be honesty, i didnt really pay much attention to the blues over the past few years, other than seeing stuff like tarasenko wanting out and pietrangelo moving on. how did they go from cup winners to their current state so quickly?

Armstrong gave our long term no trade contracts to all the wrong players, there was whatever drama between him and Petro so Petro walked, and they signed Krug and Faulk over Petro (assuming Paryko would take another step forward, which he didn’t) and it hosed up their whole defense and Petro won a cup with Vegas.

Petro was their best player and he was the one person Armstrong played hardball with.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Wasn't the impasse with Pietrangelo that he wanted a full NMC and Armstrong wouldn't budge from a limited NTC only, which is what he then gave Faulk?

Faulk is amazing. I always wondered what it would look like if a skilled but floaty winger was deployed as a #1 defenseman.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wasn't the impasse with Pietrangelo that he wanted a full NMC and Armstrong wouldn't budge from a limited NTC only, which is what he then gave Faulk?

Faulk is amazing. I always wondered what it would look like if a skilled but floaty winger was deployed as a #1 defenseman.

I’m pretty sure this is correct.

Armstrong “never gives out full NMC” clauses. Which, I kind of get , but all you had to say was “oh hey, the dude who captained our team to a Stanley cup gets the one exception. Anyone else who wants a NMC, you have to be captain while we win another cup first.”

There’s some other unsaid stuff though. Literally all interviews both Armstrong and Petro still refuse to comment on what went down beyond general statements (but they always seem very negative towards what happened) and whomever else knows hasn’t spilled the beans either.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Is an NMC really the reason Pietrangelo left? Did the Blues let their all-star right shot defencemen who captained them to a cup leave because he asked to not be put on waivers or exposed in an expansion draft (which is the only additional thing an NMC covers compared to an NTC)? Boy was that stupid.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Is an NMC really the reason Pietrangelo left? Did the Blues let their all-star right shot defencemen who captained them to a cup leave because he asked to not be put on waivers or exposed in an expansion draft (which is the only additional thing an NMC covers compared to an NTC)? Boy was that stupid.

I think they were also playing hardball on the money, but yeah, it was extremely extremely stupid.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

5th grade me is extremely happy to see the continual suffering of the Detroit Red Wings.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Duckman2008 posted:

5th grade me is extremely happy to see the continual suffering of the Detroit Red Wings.

They deserve it

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I keep thinking the Red Wings will take the next step, then I read their forwards and then I realize, "oh, maybe not".

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Duckman2008 posted:

Just don't look at their goalie and one of their best defenders and forwards :smith:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

The Dirty Burger posted:

Dear lord I had no idea they were a cap team. I know the flat cap ruined things for a lot of teams assuming it would continue to go up but drat :stare:

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
for real I have my first keeper league draft tonight and I am desperate for dmen. who is running the sharks powerplay

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mennoknight posted:

for real I have my first keeper league draft tonight and I am desperate for dmen. who is running the sharks powerplay

Erik Karlson via a PS5 remote controller.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Hertl. Otherwise it's Matt Benning or Vlasic or so other awful players.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
5 years since this iconic introduction

https://twitter.com/grittynhl/status/1044244470806523905?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Watching preseason hockey at 3:45 in the morning from a 24 hour union picket of a chicken processing plant in Australia. Not often you can say with reasonable certainty that your doing something unique.

Go Sens I guess.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Schremp Howard posted:

Dear lord I had no idea they were a cap team. I know the flat cap ruined things for a lot of teams assuming it would continue to go up but drat :stare:

The only contract that I think is somewhat an overpay, at this point, is likely Josh Norris. And that’s mostly because he missed almost the whole year last year. Other than that, I think they’re well suited to compete with their current core for a few years. They finally have a good defence, and their top 6 forwards are really strong. Remains to be seen what happens with the bottom 6. It was godawful last year.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The only cable I can get is Spectrum and they block half my channels unless I am connected to Spectrum internet (which I don’t have because it’s garbage, Fios ftw) so I am gonna get Hulu + Live TV and get MSG+ for about the same price that I’m paying now (since the Hulu includes Disney+ and ESPN+)

Edit: The first Sabres preseason game is tomorrow during a Bills game that’s also in Washington, DC lmao
The only internet I can get is Spectrum, but I opted for Direct TV stream as it comes with MSG for Sabres games. I'm paying like $100 a month less than what I was paying for spectrum internet + cable.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

Calgary defenseman Nikita Zadorov, in a recent interview with a Russian journalist, criticized the Russian invasion of Ukraine, a bold public statement he believes will prevent him from returning home while Vladimir Putin is still in power. Speaking with Calgary media early in training camp, Zadorov also mentioned that former Blue Jackets goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky, now with Florida, organized a group chat of Russian players shortly after the invasion began in an attempt to make a public statement about the war. When it became clear that the group couldn’t reach a consensus, the plan for a statement was scrapped. “It went two different directions,” Zadorov said. “Some guys were against (the war), some guys for (the war). Not going to give names, obviously, because we play in the same league.” He also said: “There’s a lot of young kids thinking the way I think. They just don’t have a voice to speak out like this. Now, hopefully, they can feel the support from me.”

https://theathletic.com/4889889/2023/09/24/blue-jackets-defense-focus/

I was encouraged reading that until I saw the group chat was split and so nothing came of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
the Bruins goalie being named "bussy" is melting my mind. the Bs announcers keep saying stuff "let's get a good look at Bussy here,"